ACN Latitudes Forums

Neurology Tests for Tics

phil

For what it's worth, I was 27 or 28 when I went to the doctor for my tic and I didn't get any tests. I saw my PCP and also a neurologist. They both agreed I had tics and asked me what I wanted to do about it. I said let's try Clonidine (I had done a lot of research on my own beforehand). They said ok.

edit - I forgot, I also went to an immunologist and asked for a strep blood test, which came back negative.

Edited by guy123

The developmental pediatrician did a lot if interactive stuff with my son and observed his tics that way. He dx tic disorder with co-morbid OCD

The neuro just watched him while discussing his situation with me and then wrote a dx of TS

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what kinds of tests a neurologist might run on 4.5 year old who has recently developed tics?

Thanks!

Our son was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago with a general physical exam to rule out other possible problems(reflexes, etc.), but I believe the actual diagnosis was based on our observations which we communicated to the neurologist: at that time, he didn't have vocal tics, but would walk around while manipulating his fingers when he was bored, waiting in line, etc.

Since the topic of "scientific" treatment related to tics has been brought up recently, let me recall how "scientific" our last visit to a ped. neurologist was, just three of four months shy of two years ago:

1) I was handed a check list of tic behaviors and asked to rate them from 1 to 10 (if I recall correctly) as they applied to my son, 1 being minimal and 10 being incapacitating.

2) while I completed the checklist, my son was given a reflex test, just like you would get for testing for a concussion.

The n.p. then questioned the veracity of my feedback on the checklist and proceded to ask questions directly to my son as to whether the information was accurate. I started to taste my first bitterness toward the doctor.

Then, when I asked what she knew about alternatives to the meds she had very quickly prescribed (by then I knew that there were some alternatives out there), she scoffed, telling me that any suggested improvements in tics through alternative treatments were purely "psychological."

The final blow was when, after I told her we wouldn't be doing the drugs she prescribed until we pursued other courses of treatment, she again turned to my son and asked him if he wouldn't like to take the pills if they helped him stop the ticcing. (Never mind that my son, 8 at the time, had very little recognition of the fact that he was ticcing.)

Now there's good science for you!

We then started going to an "alternative" environmental practice, where allergy tests were administered, a program for diet modifications was provided, urine analyses were run, and a doctor suggested supplements that were aimed at addressing the issues that were identified through the tests we had run.

The "quackier" of the two practices by far was the p.n. I hope everyone who has to deal with a p.n. for tic related issues has much better luck than I did.

We all have to visit the docs that we have to visit in order to find out how to best procede and best care for our children. But there are lots of people outside of dr's. offices who know as much if not more (lots more) about tic matters than our local pediatricians and even specialized p.n's.

Chris