ACN Latitudes Forums

Rigid Refusal @ Drop of a Hat--need input please

So sorry you are going thru this. When i read your post it reminded me of my daughter when she was younger(now 17). I told her I wanted her opinion and started reading it to her. She said "That was just like me!" I asked her to explain it to me and she said "Mom,it's the OCD. If you don't have the feeling of something being just right it can make you irritable. You feel like all this emotion builds up and you are going to explode"

I hope this helps. I used to wonder if it was ODD too. Now I think it was just part of the OCD. My husband and I used to say we felt like we were constantly walking in a mine field. BTW, most of the time she was a very sweet child but the rages were crazy. Her therapist taught me you cannot reason with them when they are "storming,you need to wait for it to pass." I used to go to my room and lock the door to get away from her. This very sweet little girl would actually break the lock and get to us. So hard to ignore it when they are out of control. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to phone chat.

I also feel for you. This is exactly how my son is when he is sick, or is exposed to someone else's illness. Something as little as askin him to pick up his shoes can trigger a two hour war. It's exhausting and does make life very unpleasant. :(. We have also struggled with trying to decipher if this is OCD, ODD or anxiety. If you ask his doctors, they will also give different answers and say it doesn't really fit the perfect criteria of either...heard that a million times.

We have literally left the house to flee from my son, he has broken every bedroom door lock in our house forcing his way into the room when I would hide away from him.

I don't have any words of wisdom we are just into our diagnosis, but just know you are not alone!

Edited by fightingmom