ACN Latitudes Forums

Help! Need some really quick advice.

Hi everyone,

I do not post often and will come back to explain whole story but I need to decide on this antibiotic for dd 4 as soon as possible. She swabbed positive for strep while on zithromax. My choices are this one or augmentin which we have never done. My daughter has bad gut issues and also a stool test showed high clostridia...not difficile though. Which one would you go for? Appreciate all replies...thank you jv

I would go with cefadroxil. It is a cephalosporin. Augmentin did not clear my DD of strep, but I imagine you will get numerous different responses as every kid is different and has a different history.

Thanks you mazoo...this is the first positive strep she has had since last march. We have used BIcilin, amoxicillin, and then zithromax but I must say with the other two her symptoms were much worse and she always tested negative but with a titer rise. Zithromax is the opposite..symptoms not so bad at all and positive rapid strep. The only way I knew to bring to doc is that she had slight petechaie around her eyes. Last week I just got a blood test showing ASO back in range for the first time ever since Scarlett fever in feb '11!! I was hoping to stop all together soon..,! What a joke right. Do you think I should continue the zith once a day too? Thanks for replies again. Jv.

I would go with cefadroxil. It is a cephalosporin. Augmentin did not clear my DD of strep, but I imagine you will get numerous different responses as every kid is different and has a different history.

Thanks you mazoo...this is the first positive strep she has had since last march. We have used BIcilin, amoxicillin, and then zithromax but I must say with the other two her symptoms were much worse and she always tested negative but with a titer rise. Zithromax is the opposite..symptoms not so bad at all and positive rapid strep. The only way I knew to bring to doc is that she had slight petechaie around her eyes. Last week I just got a blood test showing ASO back in range for the first time ever since Scarlett fever in feb '11!! I was hoping to stop all together soon..,! What a joke right. Do you think I should continue the zith once a day too? Thanks for replies again. Jv.

Check with the doc, but if it were my kid, I would want to do the short term treatment for positive strep concomitant with the long term. I would be extra alert for common side effects with antibiotics, yeast infection, diarrhea etc... but I would be leery to let the blood level drop off on the zithromax.

Check with the doc, but if it were my kid, I would want to do the short term treatment for positive strep concomitant with the long term. I would be extra alert for common side effects with antibiotics, yeast infection, diarrhea etc... but I would be leery to let the blood level drop off on the zithromax.

Thanks this is what I was thinking.