ACN Latitudes Forums

A1 vs A2 dairy products

My 3 children have a milk protein intolerance. I have been researching for quite some time different types of food/drink they can consume. I stumbled across some articles about A1 vs A2 genes in cows. And certain types of cows...Jersey etc... Very interesting, it states that the A2 genetic make up protein is the one that people with protein intolerance react to. And the MD continues with how removing this type of milk (A1) from diets has been shown to relieve Autism symptoms and GI issues and rhinitis, ear infections etc associated with drinking milk. But when A2 milk is introduced....the symptoms still do not return, because of this gene....very interesting.

Dr. Keith Woodward.

Devil in the Milk......is the name of his book...haven't read it...yet

There are several interviews on you tube

I am pretty new to all this 3 months into it, but if i may add my 2 cents here's what i have found:

Europe and the US seem to use different dairy cows.

My son didn't have " issue with Swiss or French milk as they use Swiss brown(A2) and Jersey cows where i find majority of the milk UNITED States from Holstein cows. The milk isn't homogenized either so that may be the real difference there too.

We don't use milk anymore but i thought i might share this info in hopes it may be useful.

Edited by socalmom

So to clarify, the A2 milk is less reactive (ear infections, mucous, etc.)? That is what I am finding for all of us. Personally, I dont' get all congested after consuming the raw goats milk like I do with cow milk. Also, I seem to tolerate it better in terms of lactose intolerance, but I'm not sure I have consumed enough to be sure.

Also, the pasteurization process kills off enzymes that help one to digest milk. So with the raw milk you still get the enzymes so there is less likelihood of developing a milk allergy to it. You also get good bacteria.

We were doing raw camels milk for awhile (becoming a trend in the autism community for it's anti inflammatory properties), but the cost is rediculous. For my sons to consume the prescribed amount it would cost $600-800 per month.

Hey all, this is Chemar's son, I noticed this discussion and would like to offer some insight.

I've done plenty of research on A1 vs A2 beta casein in cows/goats milk as I'm type A1 reactive myself and have a few points I'd like to mention.

1-Originally, cows never used to produce A1, which is essentially pure histamine, but modern day breeding, specifically of the Holstein, led to the A1 mutation.

2-Even if cows are predominantly A2, a LARGE percentage, including brown swiss and jersey, only produce a certain ratio of A2 along with A1. Meaning even if you buy milk from a brown swiss, jersey, or any other A2 predominant cow, you may likely be drinking a ratio of say, 60%A2 to 40%A1. Ratios vary depending on a number of natural factors. The only way to know if a cow produces 100% A2 is to run tests on the cow/herd.

3-The best most reliable source of A2 cow's milk is from Guernsey cows. 96% of all Guernsey cows produce 100% A2. (Lifeway Kefir comes from 100% A2 Guernsey cows for those of you who need probiotics, and has no strep thermophilus)

4-Goat's milk is 100% A2 and is very easy to digest(takes about 20 minutes to digest) and is alkalizing to the blood.

5-All cows milk, whether A1,A2, or a combination of both, is much harder to digest(taking hours to digest) and tends to be acidifying to the blood.

6-It's much better to drink non-homogenized cow's milk as homogenization greatly hinders the body's ability to properly digest the fats within the milk. Homogenized milk fat tends to leak into the bloodstream, causing/furthering leaky gut)

7-Goat's milk is naturally homogenized as opposed to cow's milk which should never be homogenized.

"Goat milk is already homogenized: The natural homogenization of goat milk is, from a human health standpoint, much better than the mechanically homogenized cow milk product. It appears that when fat globules are forcibly broken up by mechanical means, it allows an enzyme associated with milk fat, known as xanthine oxidase to become free and penetrate the intestinal wall. Once xanthine oxidase gets through the intestinal wall and into the bloodstream, it is capable of creating scar damage to the heart and arteries, which in turn may stimulate the body to release cholesterol into the blood in an attempt to lay a protective fatty material on the scarred areas. This can lead to arteriosclerosis. It should be noted that this effect is not a problem with natural (unhomogenized) cow milk" Source: http://www.gardenharvest.org/milkbenefits.htm

So all in all, if searching for A2 milk, it's safest to drink goat's milk and to consume goat's milk products.(Whole foods has a good range)

If you don't have access to goat's milk, search for cow's milk(preferably Guernsey) that is certified 100% A2

HTH :)

That's very interesting about the artery damage. I just read Fork over Knife and it really made me nervous about dairy products (the casein causing breast cancer, etc.). I am pretty comfortable with my decision to do the raw goats milk. I have to drive to timbuktu to get it, but I feel it's worth it.

I am also considering the goat's milk cheeses etc but boy are they expensive!!