ACN Latitudes Forums

Least expensive means to obtain lab work

Hi all, I was reading some information on the PANDAS NETWORK site and made a list of some of the commonly requested lab test to determine possible PANDAS/PANS. I know that many test will prove inconclusive and not reflect what is really going on, but some of the tests I would definately like to have done. The question I have is which is least expensive yet reliable; 1.) going through the regular route of having the Dr. order the bloodwork/test and having it sent to the lab that is on your insurance plan; or, 2.) purchasing them yourself through a website such as 'Ineedlabs.com' and having your blood drawn at one of their affiliate labs nearby. I read on CNN.com that the savings can be up to 60%. Our deductible is $1,000. Yet looking at the cost of some of these test, it wouldn't take long before we met the deductible going the regular Dr., lab, insurance, route! Any advice or words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Trish

I'd be really certain that it wasn't less going w/ your traditional insurance route. It is for us. We have a $2400 deductible. The difference between the standard lab charges and what our insurance allows as a charge is huge. DS had over $2000 worth of lab work done, according to the lab, but the lab was only allowed to charge us $150 and that went toward our deductible. We have BCBS PPO. Our insurance company contracts w/ labs and sets the amount of allowable charges for each test.

Option one is likely the cheapest. Sweetie had lab work done recently and our deductible is not met yet either. The lab billed the insurance for $500.00. Insurance allowed $86.18, and the lab has signed a contract that they will accept what the insurance company allows.

How would I go about finding out if my insurance company has the same sort of agreement with a lab? Just call them? In addition, when I go to a Pandas Doctor and they take blood for lab work, do I make the request that the Dr. send the blood work to the specific lab my insurance (hopefully!) has a contract with? Ughhhhhhh! My brain hurts ;) Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Trish

You can call labs like Quest and LabCorp or call your insurance company. Your doctor should know which labs to send the blood. Most doctors favor certain labs. I've never had a doctor send out to a lab that wasn't part of my insurance plan. Have you never had blood work sent out before?

You can call labs like Quest and LabCorp or call your insurance company. Your doctor should know which labs to send the blood. Most doctors favor certain labs. I've never had a doctor send out to a lab that wasn't part of my insurance plan. Have you never had blood work sent out before?

Hi, we have had lab work done but not to the extent that my son is going to require to find out where the problem lies. Our insurance, according to my husband who works at the hospital, has no agreement with the labs that are on our insurance plans as far as what they can charge us. After we have met our deductible, however, then the insurance company has an agreement with the lab as to what THEY will pay them. But it is what it is and I just need to look at the numbers and see which is least expensive in the long run.....because it has to be done and I don't want to put it off. Thanks for your help! I'll call Quest and LabCorp tomorrow.