ACN Latitudes Forums

Panda's Doctor near Melbourne, Florida?

Hi everyone, a couple years ago my son, then 8, began having facial tics and soon after started obsessing about things and having irrational fears. After lots of research, a slew of local Doctors (hah!) and tons of tears, we found Dr. M in Tampa and my son was accepted as part of a 3 month Pandas study. This was a 3 hours drive for us but we couldn't pass up the opportunity to work with Dr. M. She was wonderful as well as her staff. The did every test and then some. Based on the test results, and even tho his titers were not elevated tremendously, she felt he could very well have PANDAS. As part of the trial, we would be given a supply of antibiotics for him to take, however we would not know if they were actually the antibiotic itself or a placebo. After three months, we found out it was a placebo, which I was happy to discover this since I hadn't seen any change. During the three months, we made visits to Tampa for follow ups and consultations. When we discovered we had been given the Placebo, Dr. M prescribed an actual antibiotic for my son and it did help. However we were so new and not well versed on PANDAs so we chose not to continue with the antibiotic long term. We went the gluten free, preservative free, food coloring free diet. In the 1 1/2 years, his symptoms have been mild (tolerable tics, few obsessions, and no fears).

In November, my son came down with a cold and even after the cold symptoms were gone, he had little energy. In addition, his tics increased. The Doctor did a strep test for both he and my daughter (not Pandas) and both had strep. They were prescribed antibiotics and they seemed to get better. Buttttttttt, his tics since then have just gotten worse. And now, his fears are back. It's time to look at the PANDAs possibility again.

In a nut shell, we want to try and find a local Doctor in hopes we can stay local. Cost :) is a big factor, unfortunately. I would love to see Dr. M to re-evaluate him and event treat him but that's a little beyond our budget. Does anyone know of a Doctor near Melbourne, or Cocoa Beach Florida who would be qualified to do some more testing and/or treat my son for possible PANDAs or PANS?

I don't know why I had to give everyone the whole story other than writing it all out helps to clear my head and releive stress! Thanks for listening (reading :)

Trish

Dr. Bradstreet has moved his practice to Georgia. Dr. Rossignol is in Melbourne and you are very lucky to have him in your backyard. For those just beginning their foray into this realm...he is a very measured Dr. who uses research based interventions that are both traditional-antibiotics to IVIG as well as supplements (GABA and taurine which have been great for our son). We are seasoned veterans in this world and he still had more to add to our son's regimen to turn his life around. He doesn't stop or quit and cares because he has a personal stake in this fight.

Dr. Bradstreet has moved his practice to Georgia. Dr. Rossignol is in Melbourne and you are very lucky to have him in your backyard. For those just beginning their foray into this realm...he is a very measured Dr. who uses research based interventions that are both traditional-antibiotics to IVIG as well as supplements (GABA and taurine which have been great for our son). We are seasoned veterans in this world and he still had more to add to our son's regimen to turn his life around. He doesn't stop or quit and cares because he has a personal stake in this fight.

Thank you for the additional information on Dr. Rossignol. I believe they are on our insurance plan wnd will contact them today. I appreciate your kindness! We are just doing Nature's calm at nighttime as well as inositol. He helps with anxiety and sleep. I had thought about taurine but was afraid it would make things worse....I've heard good and bad about it. I'm not sure if it would be okay to add to his current regimin but I will look it up. But first, time to contact Dr. Rossignol!

Sincerely,

Trish

Where in Georgia?