ACN Latitudes Forums

Strengthening the BBB

On another thread, the connection between the BBB and excotoxicity in the brain has been brought up, and LLM astutely re-introduced the idea that strengthening the BBB should be at least one significant line of defense (maybe even "offense") when it comes to keeping our kids healthy and staving off some of the troubling behaviors. I circled back to the WWW, with the specific question: How do I strengthen the blood brain barrier?

This is one of the sites I came across; even though it's predominantly dedicated to treating MS, some of the information here is very interesting.

BBB Therapies

The author claims that thiamin, Vitamin C and/or essential fatty acid deficiencies can cause BBB weakness.

Here are a few of the things he suggests as therapeutic treatments: blueberries, grape seeds, garlic, echinecea and ginseng.

There are a few other hits suggesting such general health benefits to the BBB, as well, such as exercise, maintaining a healthy blood pressure level, etc.

This guy expressed what was rumbling around in my own brain. What's really interesting is that I was looking into yeast issues and garlic is recommended as an anti-fungal for yeast. So it could kill 2 birds with one stone. Anyone ever try garlic capsules for their kids?

Anyone have experience with thiamin?

Thanks Nancy!

This guy expressed what was rumbling around in my own brain. What's really interesting is that I was looking into yeast issues and garlic is recommended as an anti-fungal for yeast. So it could kill 2 birds with one stone. Anyone ever try garlic capsules for their kids?

Anyone have experience with thiamin?

Thanks Nancy!

We have't tried the garlic supplements, but I admit that our everyday diet includes a LOT of fresh garlic! :P One of DH's and DS's favorite flavor enhancers. No yeast issues in our house . . . don't know if that's coincidental or causal.

Saw this on tv the other day: montel talking about ms and his dietary plan to boost his health

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/montel-williams-daily-energy-boost-plan?page=3#copy

"Evening: Garlic Infusion

Montel consumes 5 cloves of garlic a day. He claims it’s the reason he has not had a cold in the last 4 years. This could be the result of allicin, the active compound in garlic, to which the antimicrobial and antioxidant effects of garlic can be attributed. Allicin is released when garlic is chopped, crushed or chewed. Allicin is also a known cancer fighter. To maximize your benefit, wait about 10 minutes before cooking garlic to allow the allicin to form. Montel adds minced garlic to chicken soup, but you can add it to any meal. "

Nancy - thanks for posting - makes you wonder if the Italians have lower MS rates and if the American Italians have higher rates due to dietary changes? also what is the average amt of garlic consumed by Italians or others etc.

We use 1 garlic capsule a day for my son by bio pure. The hard part is Dr. Chung wants it opened in a bit of water , then I mix with juice and he drinks it. He says it has to be this way because swallowing the pill whole it goes in the stomach and the acids mess up the absorption. It is difficult to get Nick to drink the juice but I am trying

abbe

Abbe - just a personal opinion...but if I had to chose between a huge battle of getting my child do drink something I personally wouldn't drink (drink garlic juice? ewww!), I'd rather let him take a pill that would be partially absorbed. There are bigger battles I'd pick.

Love this kind of info.

My family uses Kyolic Immune Formula 103, with aged garlic extract, VC, astragulus and mushrooms. I am a pub ed teacher, with immuno deficiencies, and stay healthy (from the flu, etc) when all around me are falling.

Where do you purchase this? On-line? Through a naturopath? Also, I'm a little reluctant on the mushroom component because of mold allergies. Do you contend with anything like that, or have any feedback about using a product with that component when mold allergies are present? Thanks!

Love this kind of info.

My family uses Kyolic Immune Formula 103, with aged garlic extract, VC, astragulus and mushrooms. I am a pub ed teacher, with immuno deficiencies, and stay healthy (from the flu, etc) when all around me are falling.

Where do you purchase this? On-line? Through a naturopath? Also, I'm a little reluctant on the mushroom component because of mold allergies. Do you contend with anything like that, or have any feedback about using a product with that component when mold allergies are present? Thanks!

I purchase this at my local family owned nutrition store that I have used for many years. There is a very learned herbalist/nutritionist there who helps me (he has done much research into transdermal magnesium as an autism treatment). I also have my "bible" for nutritional healing called the "Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 5th ed". Very heavy book. Two DS have been tested for mold allergies and are good. We use other mushroom products, like Cordyceps, for vitality, sports endurance, etc with no negative side effects.

Also, adhering to a homeopathic point of view - ingesting a potential allergen that you react to as an inhalent may actually reduce reaction. In your case, I would talk to an herbalist, naturopath, or even accupuncturist familiar with the Chinese Meds.

On another note for the BBB - this is a very interesting article about glutamatic acid, glutamine, and GABA's effect on the brain and well-being. Brings it all together nicely I think.

http://www.naturalstresscare.org/GABA.aspx

Love this kind of info.

I purchase this at my local family owned nutrition store that I have used for many years. There is a very learned herbalist/nutritionist there who helps me (he has done much research into transdermal magnesium as an autism treatment). I also have my "bible" for nutritional healing called the "Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 5th ed". Very heavy book. Two DS have been tested for mold allergies and are good. We use other mushroom products, like Cordyceps, for vitality, sports endurance, etc with no negative side effects.

Also, adhering to a homeopathic point of view - ingesting a potential allergen that you react to as an inhalent may actually reduce reaction. In your case, I would talk to an herbalist, naturopath, or even accupuncturist familiar with the Chinese Meds.

On another note for the BBB - this is a very interesting article about glutamatic acid, glutamine, and GABA's effect on the brain and well-being. Brings it all together nicely I think.

http://www.naturalstresscare.org/GABA.aspx

Interesting string of posts---I just did alot of research on astragalus, mushrooms, garlic etc to boost immune function on Dr Weil's site this past weekend. He has some good info also, good dosage recommendations. Some products also. I will have to look for the Kyolic brand. We have GNC and locally owned nutrition store. Thanks!