ACN Latitudes Forums

PLEASE help with WB results

Just got the WB back from lab corp on my 5 year old that had embedded tick Feb 20th and today is on day 15 of multiple rashes (also on day 11 of ceftin 250mg twice per day- he weighs 47#.)Results are

IgA negative

IgG reactive for bands 41, 30, and 23.

Did a WB 1 1/2 years ago when Dr T ran all his bloodwork on all my kids, but through Quest lab. He was negative at that time for everything.

I know band 41 is earliest and my niece with band 41 and 23 is considered positive from her LLMD.

My doctor is saying it is negative, I know it is not.

Any info please! I am losing it after 11 years of PANDAS ###### with four kids.

Colleen

Its negative overall, HOWEVER

The only thing that causes 23 to be positive is Lyme. Thats a spefic BAND and I Believe 30 is as well. If it were my kid I would treat if symptoms.

If thats on a labcorp test , I bet Igenex would be positive. Just my 2 cents living with Lyme

also it takes about 6 weeks for the immune system to mount a measurable response after the bite. If he was only bitten on the 20th. It was prob too early to test. Doctors do NOT get this. I would keep on going with abx and retest after 6 weeks.

Did he get a bullseye rash or rash at the tick bite?

Thats diagnostic in itself and you do not need more for a diagnosis.

Igm you need 2 pos bands for it to be considered positve and 5 IgG bands

Thats why doc said its negative but you know how that goes

To quote Dr. Jones..."there are eight known Borrelia bugdorferi genus specie specific KDA Western Blot antibodies (bands): 18, 23, 30, 31, 34, 39, 83 and 93. Only one of these Borrelia burgodorferi genus specie specific bands is needed to confirm that there is serological evidence of exposure to theBorrelia burgdorferi spirochete and can confirm a clinical diagnosis ofLyme disease."

So based on that interpretation, it would be positive.

IgeneX identifies certain bands and says that if you have 2 or more of those on IgM or IgG, they consider it positive. Band 23 and 41 are two of those. So I believe it would be positive by their standards as well.

It does not, however, meet the CDC's "surveillance criteria," which, unfortunately, is what a lot of doctor's who are not truly familiar with Lyme disease use as a standard.

Thanks for responses! His IgM showed no bands, but the labs were done 8 days after I pulled off the tick. I am trying to get in with a LLMD b/c everyone where I live goes by CDC standards. We have a large teaching hospital here that is excellent in many ways, yet not with Lyme. They strictly follow IDSA guidelines no matter what. My research has made me conclude that 23 is definitely Bb specific. I am concerned that the IgG had 3 pos bands b/c he had embedded ticks last summer too. Has he had it (and possibly any co infections) then got another infection from the tick two weeks ago?

Colleen

Reinfection sounds possible to me.

Have you read "Cure Unknown" by Pamela Weintraub? She talks about this happening with her family members...

I highly recommend the book. Among other things, It will help you understand all the controversy around the different criteria for positive test results.

Thanks for responses! His IgM showed no bands, but the labs were done 8 days after I pulled off the tick. I am trying to get in with a LLMD b/c everyone where I live goes by CDC standards. We have a large teaching hospital here that is excellent in many ways, yet not with Lyme. They strictly follow IDSA guidelines no matter what. My research has made me conclude that 23 is definitely Bb specific. I am concerned that the IgG had 3 pos bands b/c he had embedded ticks last summer too. Has he had it (and possibly any co infections) then got another infection from the tick two weeks ago?

Colleen

Yes! I ordered Cure Unknown from Amazon and it is on it's way. Can't come fast enough. I checked out every single Lyme book from my surrounding libraries. Some clearly believe and follow IDSA guidelines, other ILADS. I am going to watch Under Our Skin on Hulu. I am going to make myself watch it today. I am scared about what I am going to learn from it, but it is what it is.

Colleen