ACN Latitudes Forums

Eye Blink/Roll Survey

I'm just curious - my son's tics started with blinks and rolls and soooooo many others did too. Why the eyes? He never does blinks or eye rolls anymore - pretty much everywhere else though when he's not doing well. Is that where you or your loved ones started. Did they stay there - do they go back there? Can anyone give a guess as to why? ^_^

Giselle

Hi Giselle

interesting discussion!

I am not sure if everyone has their tics start in the eyes, but the eye rolls and blinks were what we now believe my son's first "tics"

In K4 his teacher alerted us to the fact that he was rolling his eyes in class and then we started noticing it a lot at home too. When we took him to the pediatric opthalmologist we were told he needed glasses and the eye rolls did stop after that. However, by 4th grade he had started both vocal and motor tics and received the TS diagnosis.

I should also mention that, when my son was an infant, he made strange little clucking noises during the first few weeks. The doctor told us it was likely due to a "floppy larynx" and it would go away, which it did. I sometimes wonder if those were vocal tics?

My husband cant remember how his tics started

As to why the eyes seem to be an early focal point for tics....hmmmm...hard to speculate on that as there is so much we dont know yet about TS and tics!

For tics that are TS related, we know from the research that the basal ganglia and the dopaminergic neurotransmittor system are the main areas involved.

It is also believed that the TS gene is activated more in boys because of the circulating androgens (steroids) and we all know that stress is a major tic trigger, most likely because of the elevation of cortisol, again a STEROID

And then there is the research on magnesium.........

Lots of little pieces but how do they tie together and why are the eyes so prominantly affected ?? Certainly something I will be thinking about and researching myself.

It will be interesting to see if Kim has some info in her article sources!!

Giselle, my oldest son has never had an eye roll in his life. With youngest, it's one of the main tics, when he's ticcing.

Chemar honestly, the only thing I have ever come across in regards to eye rolling is related to mercury. This is just from memeory with one of the DAN Drs. saying that looking out of the corner of the eye, or eye

rolls are related to the effects of thimerosal. Photosensitivity is also a pretty well known side effect of mercury exposure, so I have read.

I just finished reading this. A few things in this article caught my eye.

http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/hydro/hg.htm

One was how many sources of mercury there are, another is mertholate and mercurochrome. I grew up next to my Dad's Mom and Dad.

They had a really long gravel driveway, which is where I learned to ride a two wheel bike. The garage at the end of this drive and I, got up close and personal a few times, not to mention the numerous skinned knees and elbows of childhood. Guess what was ALWAYS in Grandma's bathroom closet. Boy that stuff burned on open wounds!

I'm wondering if anyone else has had the excess saliva symptom mentioned in this article? Oldest, has had this problem (would just come and go), never youngest.

Then the info. on sulfur. I'm learning more about that here, as I became convinced that it's related to youngest sons limited diet.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/sulfu...essage/8273?l=1

BTW, would you consider posting the url for the "androgens" article here? I read it on Braintalk, thought it was very interesting. Think others here might like to read it too. I tried to reregister over there with a different email address. Could not get a confirmation email ^_^

I started asking the Dr. to not give my youngest son arbuterul/steroid (sp?) breathing treatments, everytime he had a chest cold, because it made him shake, and made tics flair. He doesn't have asthma, but they would use it to see if breathing sounds changed, to more or less rule out pneumonia.

My daughter goes in on Friday to see if TS is what she has, knowing it may be some time before we know for sure. But she started looking up with her eyes about two years ago, would be talking or playing and her eyes would shoot up to the top corner. She did this for a few weeks and then it went away, only to come back a few months later. We didn't know what it was then, but now I'm pretty sure it was the early signs of TS. She no longer rolls or moves her eyes like that, but now the tics are everywhere else. Again, I'm still knew to all this so have no clue why it starts there, or at least for our daughter. It will be interesting to see what others who have more experience on this subject have to say. (EDIT: My daughter has been diagnosed with Motor Tic Disorder.)

BTW, would you consider posting the url for the "androgens" article here? I read it on Braintalk, thought it was very interesting. Think others here might like to read it too.

Here is that article The bit about androgens and cortisol are near the bottom, but the whole article has interesting info

http://au.geocities.com/jones_kacm/chem.htm

Kim, it sure seems possible that the thimerisol preservative in vaccines (as well as other mercury sources)could be triggering the eye stuff, especially as with so many people it seems they notice the eye things in their kids around the time of those pre school booster vaccinations!

But then again...why it should affect some kids and not others.........I guess individual metabolism and immune systems etc play a major role too

As an aside, our doctor felt that my son was exposed to mercury in utero because of the many mercury fillings that I had.......still doesnt explain tho why he developed TS while my older son didnt as both had the same exposure, and the same childhood vaccines.......guess that is where the genetics comes in.

My son has PANDAS, and although we began noticing difficult behavior as the first symptom (which we thought was just a stage at first) his first actual tic was eye blinking. He has had a few other tics over the course of the year but whenever he isn't doing too well, this is the tic that comes back first. Interesting....

To me , I've eye blinking/twitching tic . I found that when I close the eyes , I don't have twitching tic at all .

Only when I open eyes and lot of fast moving/fancy views in front of me , the tic is worse . so it may be the trigger .

And maybe the muscle controlling eyes is hardest to control all over the body , therefore eye blinking is most common .

And I blink the eye once at one side . Never blink both .

or it's not blinking at all . it's light twitching coz it's more noticable than the normal gental blinking .

Intersting that sometimes one side of eye blinking becomes dominant while the other gets dominant some times . :-)

• 1 month later...

well my 1st tics was eye blibking and rolling and i did it so much i got eye strane and was hurting wen i ticed but wen i devoloped my neck tic its was better relief and my eyes did do as much

but coz i at school my friends notics my eyes i say its nothing and i can hind my neck by doing something funny and put the ics in with it sometimes i go toliets or out side and just let it out i am decovered many news ways and idea of finding places to tics

if u want a idea on to help just ask plz plz i am here to help