ACN Latitudes Forums

Probiotics-50 Billion of Sacchromyces

Ds, 12, has been told to take Saccromyces (sp?) Boulardii in doses of 50 million units a day. Each pill is only 3 billion (klaire labs) units. We also tried Florastor, same thing. Is there a better brand to take, with higher units per pill? We are taking two at morning, noon, and night. Also I started giving a dose right before bed. That is 24 billion units.

This is flying off the shelf, faster than candy used to!!

Ds, 12, has been told to take Saccromyces (sp?) Boulardii in doses of 50 million units a day. Each pill is only 3 billion (klaire labs) units. We also tried Florastor, same thing. Is there a better brand to take, with higher units per pill? We are taking two at morning, noon, and night. Also I started giving a dose right before bed. That is 24 billion units.

Have I got the math wrong? Isn't 3 billion more than 50 million?

Hi Cobbiemommy,

Buy from Jarrow, they come in 5 billion increments per pill. We give 5 pills in the AM and 5 in the PM with abx, which they hang in with very well. Then we give 8 pills of 15-35 probiotics from vitacost, 35 billion each at bedtime. So my dd11 gets a total of 330 billion a day. I believe your doc wanted 50 billion, not million, but you can check on that.

Laura

Does it have to be exclusively Sacc B? We use rotate between Theralac (30 Billion in one pill) http://www.theralac.com/why-is-theralac-the-best.aspx and Truflora (15 billion) http://www.truflora.com/default.aspx - both of which are pricey, plus one or two Sacc B from Jarrow (5 Billion).

When you consider all the other pills our kids take, Jeez..it's been really helpful to be able to give one or two and be done for the day.

Have I got the math wrong? Isn't 3 billion more than 50 million?

Nope. Your math is great. My writing is the pits. It is supposed to be 50 billion units. Oops.

Cobbie

Does it have to be exclusively Sacc B? We use rotate between Theralac (30 Billion in one pill) http://www.theralac.com/why-is-theralac-the-best.aspx and Truflora (15 billion) http://www.truflora.com/default.aspx - both of which are pricey, plus one or two Sacc B from Jarrow (5 Billion).

When you consider all the other pills our kids take, Jeez..it's been really helpful to be able to give one or two and be done for the day.

Dr J specifically said Sacchromyces, so I am giving his protocol every chance to succeed. Also found a Klaire Labs version with 5 Billion per capsule. It ABX Support. Will look up the Jarrow when I get off here. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Just wanted to mention that I buy jarrow and many other supplements from Amazon.com - they have a "subscription" rate - whereby they send you supplements every month at a lower rate per bottle. The really good thing is that you can cancel the subscription at any time - even after the first order. You can also go in and increase or decrease the number of bottles as needed and there is no shipping charges. You can also do it through discover or other other promotions to get extra rewards.

Hi,Cobbie. My son has been on high dose abx for 5 mos., and we've been using Ultimate Flora Critical Care 50 billion for about 2 mos. I was buying BioK, but that was very pricey. Any way, the critical care seems to be doing a great job. My son has no stomach issues, and makes a solid stool everyday. I order these from a website called Lucky Vitamins. I pay extra to have it shipped in two days, as it needs to be on ice, and kept in the fridge. I had read that this was rated the best of all probiotics on a website, so this is why I decided to try it. Best of luck! :-)

PS-How is your son doing with the steroids? I'm really interested in knowing, as we're considering steroids for my son.