ACN Latitudes Forums

PANDAS and Anorexia

Thanks T. Mom - I appreciate the additional advice. Just 1 question - if the infectious trigger/autoimmune process is never identified and treated, will the child be able to recover from the anorexia with anorexia treatments alone?

Debbie1-- I don't know. I have to agree with EAMom, that the real issue of autoimmune process will still cause symptoms, at some time and next time they may be different.

In our daughter's case she was treated with the very first PANS episode (which was anorexia only) with only anorexia treatments--because we did not know better...the food compulsions went to very low level for then about 5 months and then she exploded with sudden onset OCD. (ticcing, OCD-ing, tap-tapping, eyes held shut, etc. etc. stopped speaking for 4 weeks, etc.) We thought she had a brain tumor, it was sudden and extreme (regression, urinary issues)

Yes, I think the underlying issues will remain -- if it is PANS anorexia -- and yes, without the PANS treatment, it will come back, and may come back again even if treated. --BUT at least with IVIG or pex there is a re-stabilizing, a "re-booting" of the immune system which may be enough to stop the cycle.

Yes...unless you get very lucky and the child happens to "outgrow" PANDAS which all this is going on. I don't know how likely that is?

Did anyone read "Against Medical Advice" by James Patterson? I wonder if that boy "outgrew" PANDAS without ever knowing he had it.