ACN Latitudes Forums

Rage as a symptom

My son has rages ...among every other symtpom of pandas.

His rages are...something is difficult or something doesn't work right and he stands up put his arms straight out in front of him and growls, screams, grunts, it's not pretty.

So is this a rage? he is 4 , 4 year olds are known for many things :)

He lives in a very calm, happy, loving home., so I'm assuming rages are just not a learned thing... Most of his symtpoms have appeared randomly thru the past two years., night terrors etc.

My son has rages ...among every other symtpom of pandas.

His rages are...something is difficult or something doesn't work right and he stands up put his arms straight out in front of him and growls, screams, grunts, it's not pretty.

So is this a rage? he is 4 , 4 year olds are known for many things :)

He lives in a very calm, happy, loving home., so I'm assuming rages are just not a learned thing... Most of his symtpoms have appeared randomly thru the past two years., night terrors etc.

My son is also 4 and lately has been very volatile. if something does not go his way he makes fists and starts swinging. Our Dr said that combined w his rash that comes and goes, & increasing seemingly antibiotic resistant myco plasma # (current infection#) he thinks he is a Bartonella kid too, so we are in the process of exploring that route. Things have improved slightly during the 2nd week of Bactrim! Hope your son gets better soon.

Hi - our ds is also 4 and his PANDAS symptoms include a lot of aggression. His impulse control can be virtually zero when he's flaring. He punches, bites, spits, scratches. He's sort of like a runaway horse, rampaging crazy round the house hitting etc when it gets really bad. Sometimes you can shock him out of it. This isn't his normal self when well. All 4 year olds can have their moments but for our ds it's like normal 4 year old stuff x 50.

For us it doesn't appear to be OCD related ie getting angry when you interrupt him on a ritual or when he's getting stuck on something. It more seems like he loses impulse control and is just angrier and meaner.

Wow !!! You all explain my son to a tee...

I always wonder is this 4 year old stuff..but clearly not. He stopped hitting a few months ago, he has his moments still getting very upset, mad. It requires the patience of a saint to deal with him sometimes :)

My son has a lot of things going on that aren't his normal self...a lot !!! OCD stuff started two months ago, lining up all toys 6 feet long in perfect form. Everything is dirty to him, he used to play in the mud, sandbox all day in the summer and now if there is a drop of water on his shirt it's dirty!

Anyones child have major problems at night? Sleep problems? Fear of sleep? Tics all night? Hallucinating ? Night terrors?

During my youngest daughter's initial (and worst by far) episode, she had major night problems: fear, mild hallucinating (intrusive thought), night terrors, etc. She also had some rage behavior (usually associated with some type of ocd).

Once treated it all went away.

Hi again - my ds4 wakes up multiple times a night, no fears but terrible sleeper. my dd8 has to come into bed halfway thru the night with me and ds 4. During bad exacerbations dd8 has had night terrors, multiple wakings, fears, bedtime rituals etc.

good luck :)

Edited by dut

My Ds was everything you described... raging behavior when told no or ocd disrupted, difficulty falling asleep, difficulty staying asleep, severe separation anxiety where he needed to sleep w/ us every night for 2 yrs, terrible nightmares, kicked and yelled out in his sleep.

He no longer does these things after 7 months of antibiotics, then IVIG and now prophylactic antibiotics.

We still deal with them occasionally, but nothing as bad as they were. Before getting IVIG, my younger DS would respond, within minutes to 1 - 2 T of peanut butter or a small handful of peanuts (sometimes had to repeat.) I figured this out purely by chance, but it kept working over and over again, and there's no way it was placebo, because he HATES peanuts. I would have to threaten him with pulling away something really important to him, and even then, it would take a little while until I could get it into him. But, literally within minutes, the rages were gone. If he didn't have the peanuts/peanut butter, they would last up to 2 hours, and frequently, he could not remember parts of the whole thing (there were times he was so violent, DH and I would try to restrain him...big mistake...his adrenaline would only increase, and he could literally lift both of us off of him...at only 8 years old...then not know why his legs hurt so much afterwards. But peanuts/peanut butter would stop it.)

I never knew why, until someone mentioned that peanuts are full of tryptophan, and I figured out that it was probably the tryptophan plus maybe the fat taking it straight to the brain.

Anyway, I mentioned this to Dr. K. several years ago when we first saw him, and he said that seratonin is depleted from these kids because of all the stress (physical and psychological.) He had me start the kids on 5-HTP, and it has really helped. What helped even more was PEX and IVIG in the end.

DS16 was just saying that he didn't think he had gotten so much better, and when I pointed out that I don't carry the peanuts anymore, he realized that I was right.

So, I think what you should try is 5-Htp (go up slowly, because some people have had problems with it) and lots of peanuts/peanutbutter (we used the sugar free variety, so we didn't add in the problem of too much sugar.)

Let me know how it works.

Wow this thread could not have come at a better time for me. After a few months of close to zero anxiety and rage on zithromax my dd 4 had a major rage attack just now. She twists her ankle over and over again and screams and throws herself all over the place. She woke moody this morning which we have not seen in a while and has progressed throughout the day to this. Yesterday she started with heavy breathing..anxiety type and sighing and is still doing it today. We haven't this problem since November. I'm feeling very overwhelmed and helpless...that this is never going to end. Jv