ACN Latitudes Forums

looking ahead

Hi all. My PITAND DD5 tested positive for.ehrlochiosis through Dr. B's test. Other co-infections were negative through IgeneX. Her Lyme test through IgeneX.did look a little suspicious.

We do not see a LLMD until April.

Currently DD is on augmentin and azithromycin. For any who have ehrlichiosis,.what abx are you taking?

Yes, my dd was also not put on Doxy for the same reason- so there are others...

I was on Doxy for about 3-4 months, and did go to an extra trip to my dentist when I saw some staining on back teeth-

he was able to clean it off, but gross.

• 3 weeks later...

Dr Beals just put my 5 1/2 year old on doxycycline 50mg twice per day. He and his assistant said that it is an "urban myth" that doxy causes teeth staining in children. When I researched it, I found most web sites said no doxy under 8 years old, but I found a recent study out of Tel Aviv that discredits that. Apparently in the 1950's tetracycline was staining kids teeth, so they lumped doxy in with that. Here is the link to the study. I am very curious if anyone has any info on it. I have not filled prescription yet as we just got it yesterday afternoon.

http://www.sepeap.org/archivos/pdf/10682.pdf

TIA.

Colleen

Dr Beals just put my 5 1/2 year old on doxycycline 50mg twice per day. He and his assistant said that it is an "urban myth" that doxy causes teeth staining in children. When I researched it, I found most web sites said no doxy under 8 years old, but I found a recent study out of Tel Aviv that discredits that. Apparently in the 1950's tetracycline was staining kids teeth, so they lumped doxy in with that. Here is the link to the study. I am very curious if anyone has any info on it. I have not filled prescription yet as we just got it yesterday afternoon.

http://www.sepeap.org/archivos/pdf/10682.pdf

TIA.

Colleen

I don't know if it's urban myth, but my LLMD will not use doxy on kids until all of their adult teeth have come in.

I only read the first paragraph of the study but the two things that struck me were:

1. these kids only had 2-3 courses of presumably 10 day abx courses. So 20-30 days? Our kids are put on much longer courses.

2. my understanding isn't that doxy stains the teeth that are in the mouth at the time of administration but that it stains the developing adult teeth that are still below the gum line. That's why people who have all their adult teeth can take it. The staining is thought to effect developing teeth, not emerged teeth.

i am very likely also perpetuating urban myths as well. . .

a few years ago, i had a friend who was concerned her kids may have lyme; she is a pharmacist. i think i remember her saying she had concerns about doxy and bone heatlh, not just staining teeth.

i just wanted to throw it out -- may not be correct but may be something to research/ask about.

When I started treatment, I was on Doxy 400 mg a day (and another antibiotic)

My very adult teeth (good shape, never an amalgam)

started to stain black (!) at the gum line on all my back molars. Ick, and a little freaky.

My dentist was able to blast it off, thank goodness.

Our LLMD's have never suggested Doxy for my daughter, now almost 7.

I really need to dig through some mounds of paperwork to find out for sure, but I when my dd tested positive for Ehrlichiosis in August, she was already on Zithromax and Bactrim for Bartonella. We stopped one of them (i think it was the Zithromax), stayed on the Bactrim and added Minocycline (I think) for two weeks. Then we resumed the Zitrhromax/Bactrim combo that we are still on to this day. (In November, we added Tindamax on weekends for Lyme). I'm hoping we are getting to the the point where we can say she's better, so we can start the 2 months count down to stop antibiotics. She achieved a huge OCD milestone today, overcoming a fear that she has had for almost two years! (Not trying to hijack the thread...just fresh from victory and hopeful for her and everyone else).

I will double checkmy records to confirm if my memory is correct...I just don't know when I'll get the chance to do that. I"m pretty sure this is what we did, though.

Hi all. My PITAND DD5 tested positive for.ehrlochiosis through Dr. B's test. Other co-infections were negative through IgeneX. Her Lyme test through IgeneX.did look a little suspicious.

We do not see a LLMD until April.

Currently DD is on augmentin and azithromycin. For any who have ehrlichiosis,.what abx are you taking?

I just realized I made the same post twice on this thread on different days.

Yikes, and sorry.

I have heard (on here) of another LLMD saying Doxy was okay for kids-

so, I don't really know, and didn't mean to freak you out with my story.

And Kara: Awesome :-)