ACN Latitudes Forums

Penicillin and stomach issues. Any suggestions?

anyone have a good remedy to help with stomach irrritation due to the propholactic PCN my son is taking? He is on Penicilllin V 250mg twice a day. I give him one probiotic supplement a day.

It's great that you're giving him a probiotic (?bacterial one, such as Acidophilus, bifidus, etc.?)

There's another kind of very helpful probiotic (beneficial, friendly organism) that is a friendly YEAST(NOT related to Candida albicans). This "probiotic" (friendly) yeast is called Saccharomyces boulardii, pronounced "sack-uh-row-my-seas-boo-lard-ee". It is abbreviated as S. boulardii.

The less expensive (still effective) version of S. boulardii, is sold by Jarrow (health food store brand). I use it myself, daily, to prevent Clostridium difficile infection that is all too commonly caused by antibiotics. Clostridium difficile is abbreviated C. diff, and is a dreadful intestinal infection, often brought on by taking antibiotics.

A more expensive version of S. boulardii, (very effective) is a freeze dried version (do NOT refrigerate this one--keep at room temperature), and this one is sold (over the counter) by pharmacies, and this version is called "Florastor" (made by a French pharmaceutical company called Biocodex). Florastor is a "pun" on restoring one's "flora" in the large intestine.

This friendly yeast puts out a protein that inactivates the toxin made by C. diff, which toxin tries to dissolve the large intestine (gut/colon) walls, to provide a food source for these bad bacteria, the C. diff.

And, the S. boulardii also promotes the re-growth of "bacterioides", which are beneficial bacteria of many species, normally found in stools, before antibiotics destroy most of these "bacterioides".

I was told some years ago, by a wonderful phD researcher, Lynn McFarland, who works or worked for the manufacturer of Florastor (BioCodex), to take 2 capsules in the morning, and 2 capusles in the evening, each time with a glassful of non-chlorinated water (not too cold).

Each capsule (check the label) contains 5 billion "cells" of the friendly yeast, S. boulardii. Florastor calls each capsule 250 mg. (and Lynn said each Florastor capsule does contain 5 billion cells), whereas the Jarrow brand says 5 billion cells are in each capsule. Both brands have equal amounts (cell count) of the S. boulardii in each capsule.

I weigh about 150 pounds, so check with your son's doctors, to see how much less he should take, depending on his age and weight,-- that is, if you and his doctor are OK with his taking this probiotic yeast (S. boulardii).

S. boulardii CAN be taken at the same time as antibiotics, but the probiotic bacteria such as acidophilus, bifidus, etc., should NOT be taken at the same time as antibiotics.

With the bacterial probiotics (Acidophilus, etc.), take that at least a couple of hours apart from taking antibiotics.

If your son happens to have a lactose (milk sugar) intolerance, and if your probiotic has milk in its formulation, you could have your son take a "Lactaid" (brand name of lactase enzyme) along with the probiotic, to "digest" (break down into smaller molecules) the lactose (milk sugar)that is in the milk. This prevents stomach (intestinal actually) upset from lactose intolerance.

If your son is either allergic to yeast proteins, or if he is "sensitive" to yeast proteins, then don't give him the S. boulardii, unelss his doctor OK's this first.

Taking nutritional yeast, or in this case, a "probiotic" yeast, can sometimes cause foot cramping, by somehow interfering with calcium being absorbed, I think.

If this (foot cramping) happens, due to taking S. boulardii, you can increase food sources of calcium (like sesame seed "tahini", cooked salmon or sardines with the BONES in them--canned salmon or canned sardines, that is), and almonds also have both calcium and magnesium.

To see if your son is getting C. diff (hopefully not), have him give in a stool sample to his doctor's office, and have them get the stool sample tested to see if there's C. diff in it.

I hope this helps.

Carol

cell: 970-531-5000

fsds@rkymtnhi.com

Edited by concerned lady

It's great that you're giving him a probiotic (?bacterial one, such as Acidophilus, bifidus, etc.?)

There's another kind of very helpful probiotic (beneficial, friendly organism) that is a friendly YEAST(NOT related to Candida albicans). This "probiotic" (friendly) yeast is called Saccharomyces boulardii, pronounced "sack-uh-row-my-seas-boo-lard-ee". It is abbreviated as S. boulardii.

The less expensive (still effective) version of S. boulardii, is sold by Jarrow (health food store brand). I use it myself, daily, to prevent Clostridium difficile infection that is all too commonly caused by antibiotics. Clostridium difficile is abbreviated C. diff, and is a dreadful intestinal infection, often brought on by taking antibiotics.

A more expensive version of S. boulardii, (very effective) is a freeze dried version (do NOT refrigerate this one--keep at room temperature), and this one is sold (over the counter) by pharmacies, and this version is called "Florastor" (made by a French pharmaceutical company called Biocodex). Florastor is a "pun" on restoring one's "flora" in the large intestine.

This friendly yeast puts out a protein that inactivates the toxin made by C. diff, which toxin tries to dissolve the large intestine (gut/colon) walls, to provide a food source for these bad bacteria, the C. diff.

And, the S. boulardii also promotes the re-growth of "bacterioides", which are beneficial bacteria of many species, normally found in stools, before antibiotics destroy most of these "bacterioides".

I was told some years ago, by a wonderful phD researcher, Lynn McFarland, who works or worked for the manufacturer of Florastor (BioCodex), to take 2 capsules in the morning, and 2 capusles in the evening, each time with a glassful of non-chlorinated water (not too cold).

Each capsule (check the label) contains 5 billion "cells" of the friendly yeast, S. boulardii. Florastor calls each capsule 250 mg. (and Lynn said each Florastor capsule does contain 5 billion cells), whereas the Jarrow brand says 5 billion cells are in each capsule. Both brands have equal amounts (cell count) of the S. boulardii in each capsule.

I weigh about 150 pounds, so check with your son's doctors, to see how much less he should take, depending on his age and weight,-- that is, if you and his doctor are OK with his taking this probiotic yeast (S. boulardii).

S. boulardii CAN be taken at the same time as antibiotics, but the probiotic bacteria such as acidophilus, bifidus, etc., should NOT be taken at the same time as antibiotics.

With the bacterial probiotics (Acidophilus, etc.), take that at least a couple of hours apart from taking antibiotics.

If your son happens to have a lactose (milk sugar) intolerance, and if your probiotic has milk in its formulation, you could have your son take a "Lactaid" (brand name of lactase enzyme) along with the probiotic, to "digest" (break down into smaller molecules) the lactose (milk sugar)that is in the milk. This prevents stomach (intestinal actually) upset from lactose intolerance.

If your son is either allergic to yeast proteins, or if he is "sensitive" to yeast proteins, then don't give him the S. boulardii, unelss his doctor OK's this first.

Taking nutritional yeast, or in this case, a "probiotic" yeast, can sometimes cause foot cramping, by somehow interfering with calcium being absorbed, I think.

If this (foot cramping) happens, due to taking S. boulardii, you can increase food sources of calcium (like sesame seed "tahini", cooked salmon or sardines with the BONES in them--canned salmon or canned sardines, that is), and almonds also have both calcium and magnesium.

To see if your son is getting C. diff (hopefully not), have him give in a stool sample to his doctor's office, and have them get the stool sample tested to see if there's C. diff in it.

I hope this helps.

Carol

cell: 970-531-5000

fsds@rkymtnhi.com

I remembered how taking (eating) a yeast product can cause foot &/or leg cramps! Yeasts are rich in phosphorus, and (like meat, also rich in phosphorus), eating a lot of phosphorus can tend to drive out some calcium, resulting in a calcium deficiency, leading to foot or leg cramps!

I eat some tahini (sesame seeds crushed into a paste that looks like peanut butter), like a tablespoonful, every day, and no more foot/leg cramps, that I did get, when I first started taking Saccharomyces boulardii!

The tahini (organic is best) can be mixed into soups, made into a smoothie (milk-free if a person is milk protein-sensitive), or put into a sandwich on gluten-free bread (if a person is sensitive to gluten, a protein that is in wheat, rye, barley, etc.).

Sincerely,

Carol

(cell) 970-531-5000

fsds@rkymtnhi.com

Edited by concerned lady