ACN Latitudes Forums

Symptoms (can't sit still, hair twirling, etc).

Ok, you all have heard me talk of my one twin but his twin bro is who I am wondering about tonight.

My son has had direct contact with a peer at school which happened to be his partner for a research paper. Well the little girl was dx with strep last Wed. My son started hair twirling last week and cannot keep his hands out of his hair. He is also so fidgity I can't sit on the couch with him b/c he is just in constant motion. Part of it is he is a new drummer (taking lessons) so he beats on anything but he is 10x worse this week. He hasn't started his finger sniffing again but I swear that is b/c he is twirling his hair constantly.

The Thurs before all this he had a major meltdown and was pulling his hair out and hitting his head b/c he didn't have his daily work done and was worried about losing free centers. My boys missed a few days b/c of my other son's neuro appts.

So should we get a swab done on him? Are his symptoms coming back b/c of this exposure?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jen

Edited by vermontmoms

It does seem as if it is something, and he's had a known exposure. I'd absolutely get him swabbed.

My dd has mini-flares of her symptoms when exposed to strep, even if she doesn't get it herself. If she gets sick herself, there's no mini about it-- comes on as a full-blown exacerbation. With the intensity of her exacerbated state, I can pretty easily tell which scenario it's most likely going to be when we head to the doc's. With my ds it's tougher to tell-- we've seen spikes of varying intensity from exposure and when he's ill and not enough distinction between the two for me to guess which it'll be.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that for both of my kids, both tics and OCD symptoms change up at times. It's almost like they cycle through them, or like when a trigger hits them, they reach into the OCD and tic grab bags, and come up with this exacerbation's set... So you may not always see the same presentation ever time. And both of mine are in constant motion when flaring, and fidgety. Our PANDAS doc saw some video and said it's very common for the kids to look like ours did with the motion and fidgets, that they're often just not be able to sit still. In one video my son was upside down and squirming all around the couch or hurling himself into it, while we were having a conversation-- so you're not alone with the couch-sharing thing.

HTH