ACN Latitudes Forums

5HTP experiences?

LNN

We have used SAM-E, l-trytophan and 5HTP. LIke them all, all helped. Stuck with 5HTP as it is cheapest and has same effect as l-trytophan. We just use the SAM-E situationally for depression type symptoms that sometimes arise.

Both my boys use 5-htp, and have for several years. Dr. K. said that seratonin/tryptophan is used in abundence when the child gets severely anxious, and that's when we started using it. No side effects here. Interesting about the sam-e for depression. I might have to try that out here.

We use L-tryptophan in our house, and have never seen any side effects. We make sure that we are taking P-5-P sometime during the day too.

When do you give the l-tryptophan and how much?

Usually 500 mg for adults, and I'll cut the capsule for approx 250 for my 9 year old because she's not yet in the adult weight range.

Although, when we found this protocol online, my husband was having regular panic attacks, and he took 10000mg at night at first. When things calmed down for him he dropped it to 500...and now we all only take it as needed.

We take it at night before bed, and try make sure that a protein has NOT be eaten within the hour or 45mim. If you must eat with it, a carb is better.

Having the P-5-P already in your system is really key. Without that co-factor, the amino acid won't convert as easily into the needed neurotransmitters.

We like to take that because it is the first step in the metabolic process, and if you have all the right vitamins, minerals and cofactors already in your system ,then your body coverts what it really needs into 5htp then to serotonin then to melatonin.

L-Tyrosine is the nutritional pre-cursor to dopamine then to norepinephrine then to epinephrine. I like to take 1000mg of this in the morning...it helps me stay more focused during the day...(I suspect I have ADD).

If you google "the way up from down by priscilla slagle" then you'll find the protocol that has helped my husband tremendously.

Edited by Kayanne

Just a quick update - decided to switch from inositol to tryptophan. It's been 4 days and so far, I'm liking what I see. I read that if you take at night, it will convert to melatonin but if you take during the day, it converts to seratonin. So DD7 is taking 170mg in the morning, along with Core which contains P-5-P.

Last week, she refused to go upstairs alone. Now, she is going upstairs with very little issue - maybe a small pause before the first step. Morning dramas have faded into the background. Still a little sadness in the evening, but big improvement. Thanks everyone for your ideas and experiences!

Just a quick update - decided to switch from inositol to tryptophan. It's been 4 days and so far, I'm liking what I see. I read that if you take at night, it will convert to melatonin but if you take during the day, it converts to seratonin. So DD7 is taking 170mg in the morning, along with Core which contains P-5-P.

Last week, she refused to go upstairs alone. Now, she is going upstairs with very little issue - maybe a small pause before the first step. Morning dramas have faded into the background. Still a little sadness in the evening, but big improvement. Thanks everyone for your ideas and experiences!

What is core? Can you link it please? I would like to find a good multi with P-5-P.

I'm so glad that you are seeing improvements. When my husband was pretty bad, he found relief in a couple of days too.

I just wanted to give you a heads up on my understanding of L-Tryptophan because it may give you more flexibility. I don't think it matters when you take it. The few people who I know who have benefited from it, take it at night and it has replaced their SSRIs.

Everything that I have read, states that the conversion process goes from Tryptophan to 5HTP to Serotonin to Melatonin. So if the conversion process is getting as far as Melatonin, then you've already had conversion to serotonin. Tryptophan is also used in digestion, and what I took from Dr. Slagle's book was that if you don't have enough in your diet AND you don't have the other vitamins/co-factors present then the body doesn't go so far as converting it to neurotransmitters -- it uses it for the more essential function of digestion--but that is a layman's understanding of it, so I could have misunderstood.

I have read that taking it during the day will be helpful in suppressing urges so it can help with dieting and with trying to quit smoking.

But overall, I just wanted to say that I'm happy your seeing improvements. :D:wub::D

Anxiety Sticks horribly!!

Edited by Kayanne

Thanks for the additional info on timing. Good to know. I started reading Slagel's book last night (available for free from her website www.thewayup.com). Haven't gotten very far, but I think it's going to be exactly the kind of book I've been looking for - one that looks at how amino acids can add essential and missing elements into the system instead of relying on reuptake or MAO inhibitors to accomplish the same thing but less effectively. Given my kids' aversion to all food healthy, it feels promising.

My daughter has now limited her intake to a PBJ sandwich for lunch and either mac & cheese, pasta with butter or cereal for dinner (refuses to eat breakfast). She will simply not eat if told she has to eat what we're eating. She is big on judging foods on appearance or texture. Not due to OCD. Just rejects food. Not a big leap to think she isn't getting essential nutrients. What scares me most is that while she has blood work indicating infections, she also has what feels like an underlying predisposition to emotional rollercoasters. My sister is bi-polar or depressed (she changes her diagnosis depending on whether she's in a high or low point). I have depression on both sides of my family, tho I've never struggles with it personally. So my fear is that my daughter, who has always been a sort-kinda-maybe Pandas or lyme kid, probably has a more basic predisposition that will remain after abx are stopped. Knowing how key the pyroluria dx was for my son, I'm on a similar quest to find the missing piece of info/treatment for my daughter. She's only 7 but my son has already said he can envision her trying to commit suicide as a teen. Talk about being motivated to find that needle in the haystack! This book and info is giving me hope we can avoid a crisis.

Thanks so much for sharing this!

• 1 month later...

BTW - DS also really likes GABA to control anxiety and tics. He uses sublingual or chewable during the day and a stronger dose to calm down to sleep at night.

What dosage do or did you use of GABA? My son is 9 and 80 pounds. I'm thinking about introducing GABA to calm his tics and intermittent fears/anxiety. I have thought about 5HTP but he shows no signs of depression....just restlessness, a little OCD, tics and at the moment, fear of being outside alone.

Thanks

Trish