ACN Latitudes Forums

Olive leaf.. ?

Tracie

Tracie --

We do olive leaf (twice each day) and it does not appear to have any interactions with probiotics, fish oil or any other standard supplements.

However, I have heard (but don't have any literature to support) that olive leaf can interfere with the efficacy of abx. Not sure why it would, or that it in fact does, but it might be something to check out. Perhaps it's like probiotics in that you could still use it but should dose it substantially apart from the abx, or perhaps its best not to mix them at all.

We took our DS off of abx in December and put him on olive leaf instead but we didn't do them simultaneously.

Good luck!

My understanding is that it is the oleurpein in the olive leaf or olive leaf extract that serves as the "natural antibacterial" component, so I try to get the highest oleurpein ratio in a supplement as I can find. Right now, he's taking a SolaRay brand that is 17% oleurpein (we get that from the Vitamin Shoppe), but I understand you can find brands with 18% oleurpein on-line. Actually, just now, I found a source that claims it contains 25% oleurpein (OliveLeafMax), which is the highest I've seen anywhere. Not certain what difference that extra 8 percentage points would make, but its not especially expensive (unless shipping costs make up the difference).

OliveLeafMax

Our DS takes one capsule every morning and one every evening, sort of the same as he used to take his abx. DH and I take them, too, but only once per day in our case.

Good luck!

We have been using Swanson brand OLE for about a year now. It is 20% oleurpein. Our Ped refuses to give us prophylactic antibiotics, so I opted for a natural one. I have been extremely happy with Ole. My dd7 had strep throat a few months back without exacerbation. I am not sure that it was the Olive Leaf, but I am not willing to take her off of it to find out.

Thank you Nancy

I think I will hold off my DD still needs to be on

her abx's

How is you DS at 14? does he still show signs of PANDAS

at his age?

We're good (knock on wood!)! Signs of PANDAS? Honestly, it's a little hard for me to say since he is who he is, and we think his initial bout with PANDAS was actually back at the age of 3, though we didn't get a diagnosis until age 12! So, he's a little "quirky," unique, marches to his own drummer, etc. Whether that's because some of the PANDAS lingers, or if it's because he's developed a way of thinking, coping and behaving as a result of dealing with years of undiagnosed anxiety, I don't know.

Thankfully, though, he's now happy, well-adjusted, in school full time, functional, friendly, excelling academically (still has an IEP for now), sleeping well, handling himself well and with maturity, problem-solving at least at age-level and usually beyond, etc. So, in our eyes, he's past the PANDAS, at least the PANDAS that disabled him and had him homebound two years ago!

Hope your DD is doing well, also!

We have been using Swanson brand OLE for about a year now. It is 20% oleurpein. Our Ped refuses to give us prophylactic antibiotics, so I opted for a natural one. I have been extremely happy with Ole. My dd7 had strep throat a few months back without exacerbation. I am not sure that it was the Olive Leaf, but I am not willing to take her off of it to find out.

Thanks! So good to hear! I'm thinking about ordering that 25% oleurpein, myself, given as it isn't exhorbitantly expensive. We've had a healthy winter thus far, but it's not always easy to tie together "cause" and "effect," so wasn't sure what role, if any, the OLE was playing. Nice to hear others having a good experience too, though, so like you said, keep it going! Won't harm, and just might be doing some good!

Thank you Nancy

I think I will hold off my DD still needs to be on

her abx's

How is you DS at 14? does he still show signs of PANDAS

at his age?

Well this time last year we were with Dr.K and tonight I am sitting here on my couch a very happy mom!!

our dd is doing very good also.. she still has a bit of anxiety whith getting sick or if something is a little out of norm

but other than that it's all good

I homeschooled her this year and I think that helped alot we are thinking about school next year in a smaller class

so that will be our true test for sure..

I pray that this time next year I will be still sitting here on my couch still being a very happy mom...

and yes (Knock on wood)

We're good (knock on wood!)! Signs of PANDAS? Honestly, it's a little hard for me to say since he is who he is, and we think his initial bout with PANDAS was actually back at the age of 3, though we didn't get a diagnosis until age 12! So, he's a little "quirky," unique, marches to his own drummer, etc. Whether that's because some of the PANDAS lingers, or if it's because he's developed a way of thinking, coping and behaving as a result of dealing with years of undiagnosed anxiety, I don't know.

Thankfully, though, he's now happy, well-adjusted, in school full time, functional, friendly, excelling academically (still has an IEP for now), sleeping well, handling himself well and with maturity, problem-solving at least at age-level and usually beyond, etc. So, in our eyes, he's past the PANDAS, at least the PANDAS that disabled him and had him homebound two years ago!

Hope your DD is doing well, also!