ACN Latitudes Forums

LYME and Steroids

Unfortunately my DD was recently diagnosed with Lyme, based on what I know now, test results and what seemed to be a classic Lyme presentation I believe DD has had since spring 2010. She also has mild asthma. At the start of the school year Sept 2010 and 2011, she was put on inhaled steroids for asthma maintenance. Without getting too detailed my happy go lucky child with lots of friends, became incredibly depressed and withdrawn, she began sitting by herself at lunch and even told me "mommy, I don't know what is wrong, it doesn't feel like me inside". When I took her off the inhaled steriods, the depression went away. MD's told me it was impossible that it was linked because inhaled steriods are not supposed to have systemic effects. Psychiatrist we took her to said she was extremely puzzled. Well once we got the Lyme diagnosis and I did some reading, it all finally made sense. Monday morning quarterback, I am convinced there was some type of immuno effect that caused a Lyme flare. I will tell you also though, she took 5 days of prednisone in summer 2011 for a terrible asthma flare up, amd she seemed to recover ok from that. I am not sure that there is any real explanation but somehow I think the burst was ok, but the consistent inhaled steriods caused an issue. Personally I think mom's instinct should be followed, if you feel the steriods will help and can manage the post immune issues. I knew something was seriously wrong with her when I believe she contracted the Lyme, but I trusted the doctor and the test results as they reported to me. How I regret not following my instinct. Good luck