ACN Latitudes Forums

Homebound Tutoring

Is anyone receiving school tutoring while child is completely homebound? If you have a letter of medical necessity, can it be denied?

Here is our letter:

Letter of Medical Necessity for Homebound Tutoring

It is medically necessary for (daughter) to receive homebound tutoring due to her poor medical condition. (daughter) is currently being treated for **** and is experiencing an exacerbation of symptoms. (daughter) is having severe nausea, GI issues (GERD) and separation anxiety. Her illness, as well as the treatment she needs to overcome *** disease, affects her ability to attend classes in a school setting.

(daughter) is able to endure homebound tutoring which enables her to perform at her own pace as her condition permits. Homebound tutoring also allows medical treatment and attention to be given as necessary. Her health condition must be carefully monitored and assessed on a daily basis.

You will be notified if (daughter) health condition changes.

In November we put a 504 in place. At that time she was only attending school part time. In mid-December she was granted home tutoring with her teacher, as well as being in school part time. During winter break her symptoms really increased (now with her severe nausea is a fear of vomiting - restricting her ability to leave home) and she's been unable to return to school. She is scheduled for an endoscope and colonoscopy in 12 days. They want to meet again 3 days after the procedure to discuss working her back into the classroom. If the tests come back negative, we are then resuming an antibiotic at a very small dose to continue treating for lyme. She had problems the last two times we tried to put her back on abx and were instructed to stop. I just don't see things happening that quickly and I'm a little concerned. Between the school tutoring and my home instructions she is not behind, academically. Just hope she is not denied the tutoring.

Edited by philamom

We're doing half-day homebound right now for DD. Our letter was less specific and still qualified her for a 504.

In your case, I'd push for an IEP, unless you think your DD can complete all the assignments. Even at home, there may be times she isn't up to a full work load.

I hope they work with you. We too feel the push to get DD back to school and I get that patronizing lecture about needing to "encourage" her because the social value of school is so essential. First - I hate to be pushed. Second - I am not deliberately denying my social butterfly time with her friends. Stop talking to me like I'm somehow loving being a recluse, unable to get any work done or buy milk without having to plan a full scale effort. Drives me nuts.

Fingers crossed for the scopes (and the day before prep!).

I live in MD and here it is called Home and Hospital Teaching. As long as a doctor writes a letter of medical necessity, our school system has to honor the reqeust. Both my DS14 and DD12, both being treated for Lyme, are getting tutoring at home right now. Getting them well, for us, has been more important than worrying about them being in school. Also, I think it is helping to keep the infection exposure to a minimum right now. Certainly being at home helps this.

I live in MD and here it is called Home and Hospital Teaching. As long as a doctor writes a letter of medical necessity, our school system has to honor the reqeust. Both my DS14 and DD12, both being treated for Lyme, are getting tutoring at home right now. Getting them well, for us, has been more important than worrying about them being in school. Also, I think it is helping to keep the infection exposure to a minimum right now. Certainly being at home helps this.

That was my assumption with this letter. I mean the timing of this is just awful. I am soo stressed about getting a child who is unable to be in front of people into a surgical unit for these procedures. I don't know what will be worse for her, the prep the evening before or the fear the morning of with all the people - I'm guessing the latter. Heck, I don't even know if she'll be able to tolerate the prep. Also her face is so pale these days. And another symptom that just started is severe pain in both feet.

They mentioned about doing some extensive testing evaluation (I'm guessing it was for an IEP) that would take about 6-10 hours over daily intervals. But I said not until after the procedure. She doesn't need the additional stress right now.

We're doing half-day homebound right now for DD. Our letter was less specific and still qualified her for a 504.

In your case, I'd push for an IEP, unless you think your DD can complete all the assignments. Even at home, there may be times she isn't up to a full work load.

I hope they work with you. We too feel the push to get DD back to school and I get that patronizing lecture about needing to "encourage" her because the social value of school is so essential. First - I hate to be pushed. Second - I am not deliberately denying my social butterfly time with her friends. Stop talking to me like I'm somehow loving being a recluse, unable to get any work done or buy milk without having to plan a full scale effort. Drives me nuts.

Thanks!

The letter we submitted for the 504 was also less specific. This letter was just written to allow complete homebound with tutoring, until further notice. I also submitted an excuse slip from her family doctor excusing her from school until further notice.

Edited by philamom