ACN Latitudes Forums

Probiotic prevents Group A strep

I think laurenk is right! All "strep" is not GAS. This probiotic sounds like a good idea. So does the gallbladder flush but that's a different topic for different forum:)

Thanks for showing this article, laurenk. I had never heard of this.

Edited by PowPow

I wonder about that...if exposure to flu, colds and other illnesses can cause a flair up of P, why couldn't another

strain of strep? I would stay away and opt for another probiotic that does not have a strep strain. There are many

out there. Organic 3 is specifically formulated for PANDAS kids and others. It is strep strain free. Cultrelle works

well for my kids. I still think you boost your immune system with other probiotics.

I think the specific reason this probiotic (BLIS K12) was chosen is that it is restore healthy flora to the mouth. Just like in the gut; lots of "good" bacteria can help protect against the "bad". What is supposed to be there may help keep GAS at bay!

Glad Cultrelle works for your kids- at least that is convenient to get :)

I just wanted to share I recently found a good probiotic that is supposed to target the oral bacteria in mouth which is a trigger for my kids when they have loose teeth. It does not have the strep strain and it has Xylitol which is supposed to kill strep mutans in the oral cavity.

Its by klair labs:

PRODEGIN™

Chewable probiotic Prodegin™ is a high-potency blend of 5 Lactobacillus species It is formulated as a chewable tablet to facilitate prolonged contact of the probiotics with the oral cavity, thus allowing the probiotic microorganisms to exert activity for oral care applications.

its 30 billion I give twice a day, I also rotate culturelle and lactobicillus duo from kirkman.

I too avoid the strep strain for my kiddos even though the PANDAS docs says it okay.

I personally think you have to be very careful when choosing a probiotic- I found first one we tried actually increased symptoms for our DS. Then switched to Culturelle and couldn't be happier with the results. I am considering putting rest of family on the K12 version but still leary about it for DS since it has strep strain. Please update if anyone finds positive results with it.