ACN Latitudes Forums

Thank you Dr. Markowski!

T_Mom

This was posted on another thread but I think it is worthy to note--

A Dr. Markowski (on faculty at SUNY) suggests that the Leroy situation may be Sydenham's Chorea, and he even states that symptoms may persist long after any sign of an infection (thank you!) He mentions Ps as well. His name should be on the list of PANS knowledgeable doctors.

Here is the newsclip -- I found it quite encouraging really.

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/top_stories/572334/healthy-living--can-pandas-be-ruled-out-/

Below is text from the accompanying article --

..."It seems to fit all the symptoms.

"The facial tics, uncontrolled movements in the face."

And the majority of the patients.

"It's a condition that typically afflicts young girls."

Dr. Vince Markowski has a theory; one that could solve a medical mystery.

Markowski is a biological psychologist and a professor at SUNY Geneseo. He's been closely following the mystery illness in Le Roy in the media. He says the culprit may be a common bacterial infection.

"It often occurs after an individual has been infected with strep. The tics and involuntary movements can occur months after the infection has cleared,” said Markowski, a biological psychologist.

Closely associated with Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders, or PANDAS, Sydenham's Chorea affects an important area in the brain; one that controls voluntary movement.

"When they respond to the strep bacteria, the antibodies that they form also cross-react and they attack the cells of the basal ganglia."

When this part of the brain becomes inflamed, loss of motor skills, headaches, and fatigue follows. In most cases, these symptoms clear up in months but they can persist for years.

"The grimaces you see with some of the students that have appeared in the media. Some of the involuntary movement's in the head and in the arms."

Markowski says the original diagnosis of conversion disorder, converting anxiety into physical symptoms, is certainly a possibility, but right now he says it's too early to rule anything out.

"I think PANDAS or any other infectious agent should be considered."

Either way, Markowski has bad news for those looking for a quick resolution.

"I don't think we're going to get an answer quickly and I don't think we're going to get a complete and thoroughly satisfying answer ever,” he said.

Many of the Le Roy families unsatisfied with the conversion disorder diagnosis have sought a second opinion. A neurologist from New Jersey, who saw nine of the Le Roy students, said this weekend PANDAS had not been fully excluded.

The University of Rochester Medical Center has seen some of the girls affected by these symptoms. A spokesperson for the child neurology center it's still accepting those seeking a second opinion.

Edited by T.Mom

This was posted on another thread but I think it is worthy to note--

A Dr. Markowski (on faculty at SUNY) suggests that the Leroy situation may be Sydenham's Chorea, and he even states that symptoms may persist long after any sign of an infection (thank you!) He mentions Ps as well. His name should be on the list of PANS knowledgeable doctors.

Here is the newsclip -- I found it quite encouraging really.

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/top_stories/572334/healthy-living--can-pandas-be-ruled-out-/

Below is text from the accompanying article --

..."It seems to fit all the symptoms.

"The facial tics, uncontrolled movements in the face."

And the majority of the patients.

"It's a condition that typically afflicts young girls."

Dr. Vince Markowski has a theory; one that could solve a medical mystery.

Markowski is a biological psychologist and a professor at SUNY Geneseo. He's been closely following the mystery illness in Le Roy in the media. He says the culprit may be a common bacterial infection.

"It often occurs after an individual has been infected with strep. The tics and involuntary movements can occur months after the infection has cleared,” said Markowski, a biological psychologist.

Closely associated with Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders, or PANDAS, Sydenham's Chorea affects an important area in the brain; one that controls voluntary movement.

"When they respond to the strep bacteria, the antibodies that they form also cross-react and they attack the cells of the basal ganglia."

When this part of the brain becomes inflamed, loss of motor skills, headaches, and fatigue follows. In most cases, these symptoms clear up in months but they can persist for years.

"The grimaces you see with some of the students that have appeared in the media. Some of the involuntary movement's in the head and in the arms."

Markowski says the original diagnosis of conversion disorder, converting anxiety into physical symptoms, is certainly a possibility, but right now he says it's too early to rule anything out.

"I think PANDAS or any other infectious agent should be considered."

Either way, Markowski has bad news for those looking for a quick resolution.

"I don't think we're going to get an answer quickly and I don't think we're going to get a complete and thoroughly satisfying answer ever,” he said.

Many of the Le Roy families unsatisfied with the conversion disorder diagnosis have sought a second opinion. A neurologist from New Jersey, who saw nine of the Le Roy students, said this weekend PANDAS had not been fully excluded.

The University of Rochester Medical Center has seen some of the girls affected by these symptoms. A spokesperson for the child neurology center it's still accepting those seeking a second opinion.

Yikes..I hope they aren't seeing Jonathan Mink at the Univ. of Rochester, he's buddies with Kurlan/Singer and a major PANDAS naysayer.

I'm so glad this guy brought up Sydenham's Chorea. I've been thinking that would be an important thing to rule out (although PANS/SC are still really related in my mind).