ACN Latitudes Forums

Mechtcler states Swedo Consulted with Dent

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr CD is upset?

Well, typically sociopaths and those with personality disorders have a difficult time handling it when people question or challenge them, or do anything that may make them look bad or incompetent, or might reflect on them in a way that is not how they've determined others should see them.

Not that I'm carelessly, hastily dx'ing Dr CD with a psychological illness without trying to really understand and investigate the full complexity of his issues and condition or anything.

Just saying if you compare his public persona/how he presents in the media to descriptions of sociopathic personality and various other personality disorders that you could fetch up on Google, well.. there's no need to run a bunch of evaluations and tests to arrive at a correct diagnosis when any reasonably astute person will be able to spot these personality types by simply observing them in brief appearances.

Edited by thenmama

DId you guys see this? Dr. Conversion Disorder disputes Dr. T.'s PANS diagnosis. Dr. Conversion Disorder has many interesting theories!

http://thebatavian.com/

The quotes made in this article are incredible--Everyone on this forum should read this--

This type of nay-saying is keeping children sick and suffering across this country...

How dare this man (who claims to diagnose conversion disorders weekly in his neurology practice(?) impute motives for these girls?

He suggests that they will now get better from a placebo-effect of treatment?1 You have got to be kidding me...

I guess if you think the illness is all in a child's head than you think the "cure" will be too--just too bad he didn't help earlier with some type of "placebo"(!) If it was that simple why didn't he "fix" it earlier?

I would stop speaking to the press -- if it was me, unless the publicity was now the draw.

Edited by T.Mom

I agree totally, with all your comments!

I received an email on Monday evening from a PANDAS mom, that was a press release by Dr. Trifiletti, which I'll post here. Notice the following parts (which I'll put in bold), in Dr. T's press release, that weren't (yet) included in an internet newspaper's description of what Dr. T. said, in Dr. Drew's show;

------------------

February 6, 2012

Press Release:

LE ROY, NY TEENS: BEHAVIORS LINKED TO INFECTIONS

Ramsey, NJ — February 6, 2012 — Rosario Trifiletti, MD has announced the results

of the laboratory data that he collected in standardized fashion from eight of nine girls he examined in Le Roy, NY. National attention has been drawn to the plight of the teens who have been unable to control various bodily twitching and jerking movements. Dr. Trifiletti reported that five of eight girls show evidence of Streptococcus Pyogenes (common Group A strep) and seven of eight show evidence of infection with Mycoplasma Pneumonia (the bacteria that causes walking pneumonia). All eight girls tested show evidence of infection with at least one of those pathogens. Both of these bacterium have been associated with a PANDAS-like illness of sudden onset of motor and vocal tics. “A PANDAS-like illness is my working diagnosis, rather than a mass conversion disorder as others have suggested,” said Dr. Trifiletti. He has already started treating the girls with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory agents. When asked to comment on the continued insistence by Dr. Laszlo Mechtler that the girls have conversion disorder (or mass hysteria as Dr. Mechtler originally stated), Dr. Trifiletti said, “I'm confused by that because he's never actually seen or interviewed any of the nine girls I examined.”

These findings provide a significant clue in the Le Roy High School mystery, but certainly many questions remain. Streptococcus Pyogenes and Mycoplasma Pneumonia are common pathogens that children throughout the world are exposed to every day. Why this town? Why this particular child and not another? Why such a curious presentation resembling Tourette syndrome? Until these questions are fully answered, the doctor said that the cluster will remain a mystery. “I suspect that genetic, environmental factors provide an immune background where the PANDAS-like response is possible to common pathogens. The infectious exposure is simply 'the straw that broke the camel’s back,'” said Trifiletti. However, the infectious exposure points the way to rational medical treatment for these children, which he said is of immediate importance. “Clearly, their response to the treatment I've started will be helpful in supporting my working diagnosis,” he added.

As with most illnesses, Trifiletti said there is a complex interplay of genetic and environmental factors involved. As with all illnesses, psychological factors possibly play some role as well [article describing Dr. Drew show, used the word "likely"]. “All we have done here is provided evidence for exposure to two infectious agents as potential factors,” said Trifiletti. “I encourage efforts to further explore genetic and other environmental factors that likely are playing an additional role here.”

To reach Dr. Trifiletti contact:

Telephone: 201-962-7284

Email: trifmd@gmail.com

For additional Information about PANDAS

http://www.pandasfoundation.org

http://www.pandasnetwork.org

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/pandas/pandas-frequently-asked-questionsabout-

pediatric-autoimmune-neuropsychiatric-disorders-associated-with-streptococcalinfections.

shtml

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/ocd

http://www.savingsammy.net

#########

---------------------

I also found it VERY INTERESTING that Iowadawn discovered, as she wrote above: "I read tonight that the [NYS] Dept of Health now updated that 8 of the original 12 had HPV vaccinations."

Let's hope that there are MORE UPDATES, SOON, with important information like that!

Sincerely,

Carol

http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com

Edited by concerned lady

I did see that and it made my blood boil. I made the mistake of reading it before bed last night and then I couldn't sleep. I am sitting here now, mulling possible ways to address this b/c it's a serious problem that has implications well beyond the poor kids in NY. I am thinking of at least a public letter that could be signed by the PANS community.

And did you see this? It's like the guy just can't stop...

http://www.wgrz.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1437375433001

Are most of the kids still being seen there as he says? If so, why did only five have MRIs and why do so many others, like the ones who've seen Dr T, say they've never even seen him (some may have seen his minion, but not him-- though he talks about it as if they're all directly in his care).

But in the" thank goodness he's now giving us a bit more balance" category, this post on Dr T's findings is now live on Dr Drew AND links to Dr T's statement on PANDAS Network! Hopefully following that link will lead more people to good, accurate info re: PANS.

Edited by thenmama

"He suggests that they will now get better from a placebo-effect of treatment?1 You have got to be kidding me...

I guess if you think the illness is all in a child's head than you think the "cure" will be too--just too bad he didn't help earlier with some type of "placebo"(!) If it was that simple why didn't he "fix" it earlier?"

T.Mom-- Exactly!!! You are correct, everyone should read this article. DR. CD even uses the word "accusations" to describe Dr. T's diagnosis!! LOL-- Sounds like the perpetrators (Strep and Myco P) have been accused caught and ready for arraignment! And Dr. CD is spouting that of course Dr. T would come to this conclusion, because he is a PANDAS doc. Well gee, it wasn't like he saw girls showing symptoms of poison ivy and then DX them with PANDAS. HE saw girls suffering with symptoms that lined up with PANDAS and dx them with a PANDAS like illness!

DR. CD even uses the word "accusations" to describe Dr. T's diagnosis!! LOL-- Sounds like the perpetrators (Strep and Myco P) have been accused caught and ready for arraignment! And Dr. CD is spouting that of course Dr. T would come to this conclusion, because he is a PANDAS doc. !

yeah -- "accusations" -- the line continues to blur between the comedy and tragedy of this!!! seems to me, he's just pulling in just enough rope. . .

and while i am grateful dr. drew seems to be the only one putting national attention on this, i'm disappointed with his frown on lack of 'coordination of care' vs. seeking a second opinion when you feel the first may be inept or incomplete.

the families have repeatedly said they are not happy with the lack of answers they are getting. . . not that they needed other services their competent physician couldn't provide.

dr t came to those conclusions as everything thought he would . . . well, yeah, when i went to a second orthopedic dr to consult a surgery on my broken ankle, i expected him to give me his opinion about my broken bone. and surprise, he differed from the first and i as an adult with some common sense, made a decision about my medical care based on advice from experts. very different courses of treatment offered.

here is the link to the latest Dr. Drew episode -- w/ Dr. T.'s findings.

I think Dr. Trifiletti is incredibly measured and well spoken in all of this -- not rushing to conclusions, but a very deliberate cautious response to the findings. Careful support offered to the families. -- measured careful trial of treatment.

Thank you Dr,. T.!

http://drdrew.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/07/breaking-news-doctor-finds-pandas-connection-among-le-roy-teens/?hpt=dr_bn1

The two moms in this clip do a great job --

Edited by T.Mom

Not that I'm carelessly, hastily dx'ing Dr CD with a psychological illness without trying to really understand and investigate the full complexity of his issues and condition or anything.

Well, why would you give him that courtesy, considering this is exactly how he went about "diagnosing" the girls! LOL

Dr T says Dr CD has never even seen or spoken to the 8 girls he's evaluated. Interesting.

Dr CD has a huge ego. Wow. His attitude and others just like it are why we have so much trouble getting our kids properly diagnosed. I'd love to tell him off but I know it would do absolutely no good.

Thought someone might be interested in this "conversation" with the Batavian guy about Mechtler and the question of whether Swedo is involved somehow :

PANDAS is most often associated with what's called a "vaccine injury," that a child gets an infection from a vaccine, but Trifiletti made no mention of vaccine as a cause in either his appearance -- by phone -- on Dr. Drew, nor in his statement.

This statement from this article really bothers me! Who said that? It only says that Dr.T didn't say that, and to my knowledge no professional treating PANDAS has said this. There may be speculation, but...the article seems to present it as a PANDAS fact.

PANDAS is most often associated with what's called a "vaccine injury," that a child gets an infection from a vaccine, but Trifiletti made no mention of vaccine as a cause in either his appearance -- by phone -- on Dr. Drew, nor in his statement.

This statement from this article really bothers me! Who said that? It only says that Dr.T didn't say that, and to my knowledge no professional treating PANDAS has said this. There may be speculation, but...the article seems to present it as a PANDAS fact.

I noticed that, too, and wondered where this author got that statement/opinion? Seems to me whoever said/wrote that has conflated theorized origins of autism with origins of PANS? :unsure:

I noticed that, too, and wondered where this author got that statement/opinion? Seems to me whoever said/wrote that has conflated theorized origins of autism with origins of PANS? :unsure:

I suspect he got that statement/opinion from Dr. Conversion Disorder.

This is just getting bad:

"Another conversion disorder patient reported in Le Roy"

http://thebatavian.com/howard-owens/another-conversion-disorder-patient-reported-le-roy/30348

"Mechtler recommended that any parents who are concerned their children could be susceptible to conversion disorder, "take away the social media and segregate them from friends who may be afflicted."

Is it possible that the author of these articles, Howard Owens, is just making this up? Is Dr. Mechtler really on this guy's speed dial?