ACN Latitudes Forums

Mechtcler states Swedo Consulted with Dent

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No joke. Just read it a couple minutes ago in 2/5/12 Batavian. This can't be. And she is to be on Dr. Drew on Monday or Tuesday to go on record as going along with the Conversion diagnosis. Dawn

what???? OKAY, maybe the girls SHOULDN'T go to NIMH. ???

No joke. Just read it a couple minutes ago in 2/5/12 Batavian. This can't be. And she is to be on Dr. Drew on Monday or Tuesday to go on record as going along with the Conversion diagnosis. Dawn

Wow! Yes! It does say that... but if she consulted - why the secrecy and why have Trifiletti go up and evaluate the girls?.... and why would the NYS health department now offer to send girls to Maryland to see Swedo?

Perhaps Dr. Drew will have answers on Monday!

I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but this is starting to sound really fishy to me rather than simply a case of ineptitude on the part of the drs so far. How could Swedo agree with dx.. has she seen the girls... just seems way odd if it is true. lets hope this report got the drs confused.

I found this quote quite amazing! Obviously Mechtler thinks quite highly of himself, and this explains why he didn't need to do throat cultures, or paired titers, or mycoplasma titers, or anti-dnase b, or any other testing for infectious triggers. He is a "good neurologist" and he can diagnose conversion disorder just by looking at a patient! What an "wonderful doctor" this guy is!! WOW! :wacko::blink: I added the bold.

Mechtler explained that conversion disorder is far more common than people realize or the media has reported.

The media has also misreported -- and some people have misstated -- that conversion disorder is a diagnosis that can only be reached after all other possible causes have been elminated.

He said a good neurolgist will recognize conversion disorder on the first consultation with a patient.

He used the example of hysterical blindness, which is a form of conversion disorder. If a patient claims such blindness, all a doctor needs to do is put his hand in front of the patient's eye and track the patient's involuntary eye movement. There's no need for environmental or infectious test to arrive at the correct diagnosis.

It's the same with just about any diagnosis of conversion disorder. The initial exam will tell a physician a good deal about what is going on with a patient.

Edited by EAMom

Wow! Yes! It does say that... but if she consulted - why the secrecy and why have Trifiletti go up and evaluate the girls?.... and why would the NYS health department now offer to send girls to Maryland to see Swedo?

Perhaps Dr. Drew will have answers on Monday!

Yeah...and why the heck would these girls want to go to NIMH for a "second opninion" if she's already saying she "agrees" with the CD diagnosis (without even examining the girls or having approprate tests for infectious triggers run). Sorry that just is crazy. How is that a "second opinion", it sounds like it's just the "first opnion" all over again.

Edited by EAMom

My knee-jerk reaction after reading this article was: Whoa. Why is this JUST now coming out about Swedo and all the "unreported info." Seems Dr. CD is doing his part in keeping the media Frenzy going!! Maybe he should shut up or lay as much information HIPAA will allow (and it seems to be plenty) all out on the table and then return to the confines of his nice office and refuse to issue any more statements. Dawn

And BTW, where is Dr. T and his results? It has been a while.

Edited by Iowadawn

I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but this is starting to sound really fishy to me rather than simply a case of ineptitude on the part of the drs so far. How could Swedo agree with dx.. has she seen the girls... just seems way odd if it is true. lets hope this report got the drs confused.

yeah, it sounds super odd.

And Mechtler sounds almost delusional, saying CD isn't a diagnosis of exclusion, that a good neurologist can diagnose it without running tests to check for toxins or infections.

Did anyone notice that the CANS paper was listed at the bottom of the article as a reference? <_<

I'll wait and see how the Swedo thing plays out.

But, I wonder how he can claim that the girls still under his care are getting better, but the media attention is making them worse? It can't be both. So are they getting better or worse? Also, how does he know if the patients he is not treating (or, presumably, not examining) are getting worse, since he is not able to evaluate and track progress?

Does anyone think that Swedo might be privy to any new Cunningham info? I keep wondering about the "gene," that they were supposed to be looking for. Just my knee jerk thought. Let's say that they came up a small % of kids that would fit a true PANDAS profile, but suspect something else going on with others with movement disorders?

Edited by kim

I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but this is starting to sound really fishy to me rather than simply a case of ineptitude on the part of the drs so far. How could Swedo agree with dx..

I pray she doesn't publically "agree."

He said a good neurolgist will recognize conversion disorder on the first consultation with a patient.

This is getting so infuriating on so many levels.

Now the neuros/peds will be quizzing kids/parents about traumatic events, instead of the "they'll outgrow it, relax," standby in relationship to TS too. This could end up being a giant step backwards instead of an opportunity to really learn something.

Personally, I'm going to wait and see what Swedo REALLY says. It's extremely hard for me to believe that she actually agrees with him about the conversion disorder, going against everything she has ever said in the past about PANS. Also, think about it...maybe he did talk with Swedo (and that's what he calls a consult). That doesn't mean she agreed with him. He may be trying to CHA, and may be slightly delusional to boot. If she had really consulted with him, and really agreed with him, don't you think it would have come out sooner? So, I'm really not going to believe a word he's saying.

I say, let's just wait for the Dr. Drew show.

OK...I just read the article. Here's what it says:

"The other thing the media hasn't known when reporting on the subject, Mechtler said, is that Dr. Susan Swedo, who first described PANDAS in 1998 consulted with Dent on the Le Roy 12 and concluded PANDAS wasn't the issue and has agreed with the conversion disorder diagnosis.

Mechtler said he's been told that Dr. Swedo will appear on a syndicated televsion show either Monday or Tuesday and confirm her support of the conversion disorder diagnosis."

Notice it says: "Metchler said he's been told that Swedo... and confirm her support of the conversion disorder diagnosis." That doesn't mean it's really happening (again, it sounds like he's just trying to cover his you know what. I also totally doubt she would have agreed with the conversion disorder statement, because there's no way he wouldn't have mentioned it previously.

Personally, I think this is kind of like the cruise ship that capsized in Italy where the captain, after realizing he was in big trouble for abandoning his ship said: "I fell into the lifeboat!" (I had to think of that, because we went on a cruise the following week, and trust me, it was the butt of all comments when we were doing the safety drill!) For those of you who haven't cruised, the lifeboats are kept at the deck above the one that everyone goes to to board it. There is no deck leading up to the lifeboats (there were outside cabins with windows that don't open in front of the lifeboats.) In an emergency, the lifeboats have to be lowered to let people on. Additionally, there are covers on the lifeboats. In other words, it is physically impossible to fall into a lifeboat.

OK...I just read the article. Here's what it says:

"The other thing the media hasn't known when reporting on the subject, Mechtler said, is that Dr. Susan Swedo, who first described PANDAS in 1998 consulted with Dent on the Le Roy 12 and concluded PANDAS wasn't the issue and has agreed with the conversion disorder diagnosis.

Mechtler said he's been told that Dr. Swedo will appear on a syndicated televsion show either Monday or Tuesday and confirm her support of the conversion disorder diagnosis."

Notice it says: "Metchler said he's been told that Swedo... and confirm her support of the conversion disorder diagnosis." That doesn't mean it's really happening (again, it sounds like he's just trying to cover his you know what. I also totally doubt she would have agreed with the conversion disorder statement, because there's no way he wouldn't have mentioned it previously.

Personally, I think this is kind of like the cruise ship that capsized in Italy where the captain, after realizing he was in big trouble for abandoning his ship said: "I fell into the lifeboat!"

What you are saying makes sense...after that Scientific American article, Mechtler is probably in big time panick mode.

Why the heck would Dr. Swedo to on National TV (the Dr. Drew show no less) to support a guy that references Singer/Kurlan/Mink articles? Swedo hates Singer/Kurlan/Mink.

I'll wait and see how the Swedo thing plays out.

But, I wonder how he can claim that the girls still under his care are getting better, but the media attention is making them worse? It can't be both. So are they getting better or worse? Also, how does he know if the patients he is not treating (or, presumably, not examining) are getting worse, since he is not able to evaluate and track progress?

Maybe the girls that are getting better (if that is the case) are getting better b/c of SPONTANEOUS remission. Maybe they have SC, not PANDAS.

And anyone notice that NOBODY is talking about SC??? How was that ruled out?