ACN Latitudes Forums

PANDAS vaccine injury?

Kim,

This is specifically what I was replying to:

Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine is recommended for all children less than 24 months old and for children between 24 and 59 months old who are at high risk of disease. Persons who are 2 years and older and at high risk for disease (e.g., sickle cell disease, HIV infection, or other conditions that weaken the immune system) should also receive PPSV23.

(sorry, not so good at the highlighting on this forum :/)

I read this to say the PCV should be given to children under 2 at high risk, if they are older than 2 (and also at high risk), then they should receive the PPSV23. You are correct, it can be very confusing and I have much respect for the time you have obviously put into it. I agree with DCMOM in that I do not have the time, nor energy to have researched it that much, so I really appreciate your info. I have just started to gather more info on the possible vaccine link. My gut has visited it several times though.... the more I read, the more I go hmmmmmmmm.

Bigger picture view for me: I would like to see how "all" childhood autoimmune illnesses can be linked. ASD, PANDAS, ADD, diabetes, some cancers, asthma, allergies, arthritis.... If we lump them all together, see how incidences have increased and say "what is the common factor???" It would really force us to look into what we are doing to the immune system.

I want to have a balanced view, and as someone said it would be great if 2 sides of the debate could come to the table and work towards answers. But I think that is where alot of the outrage comes from on the anti- vaccine side... they want to meet and research and assure safety for our children, but the side that has the money and the DUTY to do the research and see if there is a link, is too quick to discount any effects the manipulation of the childs immune system could be causing. Alot of those who do not vaccinate, or have chosen to stop vaccinating are not doing so because they think "all" vaccines are bad, or because they are buying into some conspiracy theory.... it is because there has been parent after parent that has claimed injury or Autism after vaccine and not enough is being done to absolutely rule that out. All scientific experiments are based on a "hypothesis". I believe the amount of autoimmune issues plaguing our children along with amount of vaccinating we do and testimony from countless parents are more than enough to warrant a prolonged and critically in depth study. After what we have been through, if there is even a remote chance that a vaccine caused this, I am not going to allow that to be an option for my child now. Just as many become hypersensitive to letting their child be exposed to strep. You can only try to "play" God and modify nature for so long before it comes around to bite you in the ######.

Condescending, or tearing apart others point of view, really does nothing to support all of us going through this. The information posted by some has been very helpful. Thank you for that.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kim,

This is specifically what I was replying to:

Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine is recommended for all children less than 24 months old and for children between 24 and 59 months old who are at high risk of disease. Persons who are 2 years and older and at high risk for disease (e.g., sickle cell disease, HIV infection, or other conditions that weaken the immune system) should also receive PPSV23.

(sorry, not so good at the highlighting on this forum :/)

I read this to say the PCV should be given to children under 2 at high risk, if they are older than 2 (and also at high risk), then they should receive the PPSV23. You are correct, it can be very confusing and I have much respect for the time you have obviously put into it. I agree with DCMOM in that I do not have the time, nor energy to have researched it that much, so I really appreciate your info. I have just started to gather more info on the possible vaccine link. My gut has visited it several times though.... the more I read, the more I go hmmmmmmmm.

Bigger picture view for me: I would like to see how "all" childhood autoimmune illnesses can be linked. ASD, PANDAS, ADD, diabetes, some cancers, asthma, allergies, arthritis.... If we lump them all together, see how incidences have increased and say "what is the common factor???" It would really force us to look into what we are doing to the immune system.

I want to have a balanced view, and as someone said it would be great if 2 sides of the debate could come to the table and work towards answers. But I think that is where alot of the outrage comes from on the anti- vaccine side... they want to meet and research and assure safety for our children, but the side that has the money and the DUTY to do the research and see if there is a link, is too quick to discount any effects the manipulation of the childs immune system could be causing. Alot of those who do not vaccinate, or have chosen to stop vaccinating are not doing so because they think "all" vaccines are bad, or because they are buying into some conspiracy theory.... it is because there has been parent after parent that has claimed injury or Autism after vaccine and not enough is being done to absolutely rule that out. All scientific experiments are based on a "hypothesis". I believe the amount of autoimmune issues plaguing our children along with amount of vaccinating we do and testimony from countless parents are more than enough to warrant a prolonged and critically in depth study. After what we have been through, if there is even a remote chance that a vaccine caused this, I am not going to allow that to be an option for my child now. Just as many become hypersensitive to letting their child be exposed to strep. You can only try to "play" God and modify nature for so long before it comes around to bite you in the ######.

Condescending, or tearing apart others point of view, really does nothing to support all of us going through this. The information posted by some has been very helpful. Thank you for that.

ok Kim, sorry, just caught it..... all children under 24 mos... :) I need to slowwwwwww down:)

We all had the rabies series (this was prior to pandas, thank goodness) because we woke up one night and a bat was flying around in the hallway outside the kid's bedrooms (lovely!). I freaked out! Then my dh freaked out and killed the bat by stomping on it. Later we found that anyone who has been sleeping in a room with a know bat, is at risk. There apparently was a case in our area of the country where a toddler died from rabies, after spending the night in a room where they found a bat the next day, even though she had no visible marks. (Bats teeth are like pins). So, since the bat's skull was crushed, we ALL needed the rabies series!!

EAMom- I think your dd is around the age of mine, did you do a tetanus booster or test titers?

we haven't done any vaccines we learned of PANDAS in 2008. I'll ask about have Tetanus titers done instead of the vaccine. :)

Priscilla,,

I'm glad that you figured that out. I found that statement to be confusing too. Looking at the rec. vaccine schedule, I think gave clarity to that statement?

thenmama,

If you write a book, I'll buy it. You have a wonderful writing style. I totally agree with everything that you said. I do however, wonder if the person in question is aware that her statements are inaccurate? Is she rushing to an uninformed conclusions or is it an intentional statement to discredit the whole vaccine program? I'm leaning toward the former. Also, could we be wrong about the mandating of the PPSV? I think it's generally excepted that vaccinating with the polys. vaccine can actually result in lower titers. That's why it's only recommended once for the older set (as I've said before, it's been a while since I really studied this stuff). I would find it so odd that they would actually do that, but also very strange that someone who seems to have an extensive interest in vaccines would make that sort of mistake!

I haven't narrowed all of the questions down on this thread, but tetanus stands out. Before we talk about the individual tetanus vaccine, I hope you who have questions will read this and then maybe we can see what we can verify in terms of the amt. of antigen in the toxoid vaccines that are available. Just a side note, I do believe Tenpenny to be a good source for a starting point when looking at these things. Also, remember that the schedule currently looks like this-

DtaP at 2 4 6 mos. again at 15-18 mos. again at 4-6 years and then 1 at 11-12 years. Depending on the age of your child, it may not match up as far as the actual vaccine that was given (i.e. my kids had a couple of whole cell DTP's). I'm also curious for the child that didn't show adequate immunity, when was the last tetanus containing vaccine given?

http://www.whale.to/a/tenpenny1.html

In our discussion threads (where her site has been mentioned and criticized), a member brings up Dr. B's PANDAS s. pneumo titer failure estimate of 99%. If that member was not the one to have emailed her about this, then it seems like she was either sent the post content by someone in our forum community, or perhaps she's visiting this forum-- reading, poaching, and spinning for her own purposes. In looking over her site, I also realized that her article pointing to Mechtler's big pharma payouts went up right after I posted that same info to this forum, and her article provides the same link to the info that was included in my post (there are multiple individual links that yield similar info on the doc, so I found it curious that she chose that one-- especially since that link only shows one year and there are pages with more recent info available). Perhaps it's just a coincidence and it occurred to her to do the same research on the same site and it was also coincidence that she published it later on that same day that I'd made my post and chose to link the same page. Our stars aligned that day. I honestly don't care if her piece was prompted by the info in my post-- I'm happy to see Mechtler's sleaze factor to outed to a wider audience. What I do care about, though, is whether she, or someone among us, is abusing the good faith of this forum community and using what transpires here in a manner that could do the PANDAS community at large a great disservice.

I know it is a public forum and anyone can read or join, but I care deeply about PANDAS and those whose lives are affected by it, and this forum community is important to me.

While I would have been inclined to support her, I'm now just outraged.

I am the website administrator for VaxTruth.org and I always check the links to our website to track them. No one used the information that you posted earlier, the information the author used is as she asserted, a contact from a parent through our contact info on our website or personally through facebook. I only noticed your post because of the high link rate from the page and decided to check out the source. I noticed your concerns and echoed them to the author. I am writing to inform you of a retraction that was made on this subject, you can find the link from the author here.

At VaxTruth we welcome questions and we are on a crusade for truth, if we are wrong, we correct it. We apologize for writing misinformation, thank you for reading our article and for your feedback, it indirectly alerted us to a misinterpretation of the facts that we are obliged to repair. We appreciate your support and or criticism of any articles or facts we publish.

The author has a child with PANDAS, just the same as many of you do. She is also on a quest to find the answers. Her hypothesis is a very good and thorough one. We all want answers for our children and for the students in Leroy. I know we may not agree of every aspect of the disease or it's cause, but we are fighting for answers together regardless of the avenue.

If you ever find something on our site you believe to be a factually inaccuracy, please contact us through our site and let your concerns be known.

Thank You!

Spencer Pond

Vaxtruth.org

Thank you Spencer

• 2 months later...

I reported to VAERS after my DS (age 5 at the time) had a sudden explosion of symptoms (now known to be PANDAS) two days after a FluMist vax.

My son had a reaction after the flu mist. It was 2 days after. Had no idea about PANDAS at the time. He had a second dose a month later. That is when the symptoms became worse. I woke up one night and realized I bet it was the flu mist which exacerbated the symptoms. As I was researching sudden onsets of OCD and tic I came across PANDAS. I found a doctor who diagnosed my son without any previous strep infections or any infections at all. He had not been to a doctor in over a year prior to vaccine. However, he did have a high cam k. I followed through with the vaccine compensation program and his case was assigned to a judge a week ago. Hoping for the best. It has been a rough few years. So sad because I thought I was doing what was best for my son. What we think happened was my son had an autoimmune reaction to the live virus. The same way strep mistakenly attacks the basal ganglia, this live virus attacked my sons. Very scary.

I reported to VAERS after my DS (age 5 at the time) had a sudden explosion of symptoms (now known to be PANDAS) two days after a FluMist vax.

My son had a reaction after the flu mist. It was 2 days after. Had no idea about PANDAS at the time. He had a second dose a month later. That is when the symptoms became worse. I woke up one night and realized I bet it was the flu mist which exacerbated the symptoms. As I was researching sudden onsets of OCD and tic I came across PANDAS. I found a doctor who diagnosed my son without any previous strep infections or any infections at all. He had not been to a doctor in over a year prior to vaccine. However, he did have a high cam k. I followed through with the vaccine compensation program and his case was assigned to a judge a week ago. Hoping for the best. It has been a rough few years. So sad because I thought I was doing what was best for my son. What we think happened was my son had an autoimmune reaction to the live virus. The same way strep mistakenly attacks the basal ganglia, this live virus attacked my sons. Very scary.

I remember reading that the flu vaccines are some of the highest containing mercury. I need to look back but there was some interesting articles about how mercury affects neurotransmitters and other chemicals in the brain causing inflammation and I bet there is a connection with elevated cam kinase. Just needs to be researched more. It also explains the breech in blood brain barrier which was never explained from what I could find in PANDAS/PITAND/PANS literature. We have a PANDAS and LYme diagnosis with a positive mycoplasma! With all that, I can't fully understand how it could be any of them. The more I read about vaccines and there adjuvants the more I know it is the culprit (along with environmental, amalgam caps, and food combined)My dd is healing very well and will never get another vax. I am a RN and me, nor about 40% of healthcare workers will get vaccinated. Too much propaganda and profit motive and our children are suffering. Good for you, I hope you get somewhere in court. I have found alot of good info on vactruth.org and vaxtruth.org. The first one has alot of science bases articles that support the cause. It really disgusts me. Now they are going into schools and giving vax without parental consent!!! That is ludicrous to me..... they don't know a childs whole health history!! nor does the child! I have had to educate my 10 yo dd not to EVER let them vax her. I had a bad feeling about the vax since she was an infant. Go with your mommy instinct, its got us where we are today. There is hope for healing, my dd should be completely off abx within the next month and is better than ever.

Edited by Priscilla