ACN Latitudes Forums

36 year old women who has similiar symptoms as Le Roy teens

EAMom

Here's the link. http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/01/31/medical-mystery-adult-shows-symptoms

PANDAS isn't mentioned. This woman (a nurse?) says she has faith in her doctors and believes the conversion disorder diagnosis.

Dr. Drew doesn't really mention PANDAS/PANS, just environmental toxins vs. conversion disorder.

She talks about how they used to hand out in the quarry (near the spill) all the times as teens. If this is due to the environment, why would it show up in this lady (and the girls) all at the same time? Esp, considering this woman probably hasn't hung out in the quarry for decades?

She's hoping it is conversion disorder b/c that means she will get better. If it is toxic, she's worried it's permanent.

Edited by EAMom

. If this is due to the environment, why would it show up in this lady (and the girls) all at the same time? Esp, considering this woman probably hasn't hung out in the quarry for decades?

i'm wondering how/if the hurricane that hit the mid-Atlantic in late aug affected this area. maybe not, but just thinking. . .

I think I may actually buy the "conversion disorder" diagnosis in her case. Does anyone know if she is affiliated with the school at all?

I do agree, EAMom, the toxic thing doesn't add up with me, either. It wouldn't just suddenly appear out of nowhere. Just my opinion...

Edited by P.Mom

I think I may actually buy the "conversion disorder" diagnosis in her case. Does anyone know if she is affiliated with the school at all?

I do agree, EAMom, the toxic thing doesn't add up with me, either. It wouldn't just suddenly appear out of nowhere. Just my opinion...

It's sad that she isn't a bit more proactive in matters of her own health (esp. given that she is a NURSE). She's a way too trusting IMHO. Maybe this is how the typical patient behaves (and the PANDAS parents that post and question diagnoses here are atypical?)

I do wonder if she was working as a nurse in the days (or even months) before her movements started. A nurse is a profession that would have a high likelihood of exposure to strep/mycoplasma/other infectious triggers...therefore making her more vunerable to a post-infectious auto-immune disorder than the average adult.

I'm sorry, but I just have an impossible time buying that stress alone can cause these kinds of neurological reactions in such an even, consistent pattern! Could stress exacerbate an underlying condition or tendency? Yes. Could it tip the scales in a delicately-balanced state of health? Yes. But stress alone cause an otherwise "healthy," "normal" person to develop full-bore Tourettes overnight?!?! No way!!

Here's a list of my other specific objections/concerns (sorry to be self-indulgent, but I must vent!):

- As immersed as we've been in the world of tics and sudden-onset neurological conditions in the last few years, wouldn't you think we would've come across "conversion disorder" before now if it were any kind of standard, respected diagnosis on a nationwide basis?

- What could possibly account for more than a dozen essentially simultaneous cases of "conversion disorder" in a very small geographic area, excluding a massive traumatic event that would've impacted the entire local population, such as a terrorist attack, a killer tornado, etc.?

- And as long as I've opened that topic, of all the potential opportunities for a massive outbreak of "conversion disorder," wouldn't you think 911 would've been the ultimate test of such a stress-related disorder? Does anyone recall hearing of so much as a single case of "conversion disorder" on the heels of 911, let alone a whole slew of victims?!?!

- Everyone, including teens, face stresses daily. Some handle it better than others, some handle it less well, and most people handle it differently, individually, in their own ways. This "conversion disorder" thing seems to have too many commonalities to be an authentic stress reaction, in and of itself. There has to be another "common" component that would result in ALL the sufferers having such similar symptomology. Otherwise, one stressed teen would develop IBS, one would develop anxiety, one would develop an eating disorder, one would develop coping behaviors like acting out or rebellion, and maybe one would develop "nervous tics," if you will. But not every single one of them would have these very similar tics (arm flailing and neck jerking, from the videos)! The odds just don't add up!

Thanks for allowing me to rant! :D

Hey....I was being sarcastic! :huh: I do not believe stress can cause this either!

Good to know! :lol:

Sometimes subtlety is lost on me! :P Or maybe it's just that, in on-line posting, without the benefit of facial expressions or tone of voice, I only get excessively obvious sarcasm! :D

Nancy..... :lol: Sorry.....didn't mean to make you rant, although, I must say I do agree with everything you said! I guess I figured people were on to me by now...but, just in case, I put "conversion disorder" in parentheses. I guess in my mind that makes it not real! You know....when you are talking to someone and they quote something with their fingers.....it is usually something they are rolling their eyes about along with the fingers going. ^_^

Edited by P.Mom

Well, it seems like SHE sure is buying it, but it doesn't seem like accepting the diagnosis is helping her get better any quicker!!

Edited by EAMom

- And as long as I've opened that topic, of all the potential opportunities for a massive outbreak of "conversion disorder," wouldn't you think 911 would've been the ultimate test of such a stress-related disorder? Does anyone recall hearing of so much as a single case of "conversion disorder" on the heels of 911, let alone a whole slew of victims?!?!

According to Dr. Mechtler we are now seeing the aftermath of 9/11. That's right - when these girls were IN PRESCHOOL THROUGH THIRD GRADE they experienced such trauma with 9/11 that all they've been able to do is get up every morning to check the news and see what color the code is today. This, of course, coupled with the trauma and stress of daily life in a quaint small town with supportive families that really go to bat for them - has made them convert their stress into physical symptoms.

Why did we not see this after 9/11 in NYC?

Well.. living in LeRoy must be much more stressful.

Edited by kimballot

According to Dr. Mechtler we are now seeing the aftermath of 9/11. That's right - when these girls were IN PRESCHOOL THROUGH THIRD GRADE they experienced such trauma with 9/11 that all they've been able to do is get up every morning to check the news and see what color the code is today. This, of course, coupled with the trauma and stress of daily life in a quaint small town with supportive families that really go to bat for them - has made them convert their stress into physical symptoms.

Why did we not see this after 9/11 in NYC?

Well.. living in LeRoy must be much more stressful.

Now THAT'S a level of sarcasm I can quickly get behind! :lol:

And just for you, P.Mom: Oh, I think that Mechtler is just a wonderful "doctor" and a supreme "human being!" He obviously "cares" so much about these girls and their families! I'm "positive" that he would never, ever stoop or rush to judgment in coming to such a "world-reknowned" and "well-respected" "diagnosis" as "Conversion Disorder."

:P

Here's the link. http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/01/31/medical-mystery-adult-shows-symptoms

PANDAS isn't mentioned. This woman (a nurse?) says she has faith in her doctors and believes the conversion disorder diagnosis.

Dr. Drew doesn't really mention PANDAS/PANS, just environmental toxins vs. conversion disorder.

She talks about how they used to hand out in the quarry (near the spill) all the times as teens. If this is due to the environment, why would it show up in this lady (and the girls) all at the same time? Esp, considering this woman probably hasn't hung out in the quarry for decades?

She's hoping it is conversion disorder b/c that means she will get better. If it is toxic, she's worried it's permanent.

If this woman is a nurse, she probably had the flu vaccine as soon as it came on the market this fall. It is recommended that nurses be vaccinated to reduce transmission risk to patients.