ACN Latitudes Forums

Doxycycline

Saw the immunologist and she decided to put Dan on doxy for his acne. Aside from the stomach issues is there any other side effects?

Watch sun exposure!!! Seriously, I was told to when I was on it....told to use high SPF sunscreen everyday (even in winter) and stay out of the sun...and to wear wrap around sunglasses to protect my eyes. I guess I had to learn my lesson the hard way and did not listen......boy did I pay. I got blisters all over my arms (on a dreary cloudy morning...they just popped out suddenly).....my skin, although it was not red...felt like it was on fire. It took weeks after discontinuation of the antibiotic for my skin to return to normal and not have a reaction to the sun. (I am fair skinned, so, that didn't help)

My son had the same blistering to his skin with even minor sun exposure on doxycycline! Also, it did not help too much. A switch to Bactrim, Ziana gel and Sumadan face wash has been an excellent combination for him. The dermatologist was practically begging me to put him on Accutane, as his acne was horrible. Within 8 weeks or so, the acne was so much better. We are now about 5 months since this combo and his skin is almost clear (besides the healing of old scars). If the doxy does not cut it-- move to something else. We wasted an entire summer on doxy.

TBI - tick borne illness (or infection). DS8 was on biaxin for PANDAS and we did not know he had lyme. His body reacted with a severe herx - fevers, rashes, rage, very swollen knees, and 1 elbow swelled up like a balloon and turned purple. It was terrible, but led us to the discovery that he has lyme disease. Doxy is a common drug used for lyme disease. If your DS has an underlying lyme infection, or other tick borne illness, you could potentially see an increase in symptoms or new symptoms that you were not expecting.

TBI - tick borne illness (or infection). DS8 was on biaxin for PANDAS and we did not know he had lyme. His body reacted with a severe herx - fevers, rashes, rage, very swollen knees, and 1 elbow swelled up like a balloon and turned purple. It was terrible, but led us to the discovery that he has lyme disease. Doxy is a common drug used for lyme disease. If your DS has an underlying lyme infection, or other tick borne illness, you could potentially see an increase in symptoms or new symptoms that you were not expecting.

Hello Melanie,

A while back

before having my children treated .

I was very interested in this abx Doxycycline ,

I was beginning to gather information about Doxycycline, but had no further need to continue.

The abx they needed removed there symptoms.

one of bit of information i found interesting was that is was used in successful treatment of Gulf war veterans exposed to infectious agents.

My link

Another - It crosses the Blood Brain Barrier

My link

I have no other bits of information, but wonder if it has been used in successful treatment against the symptoms prevalent in this forum.

best wishes.

Its also VERY tough on the stomach. Take it with a meal (not just a cracker ) even if the directions say to take without food. My DS is on Doryx, witch is a time-release Doxycycline that has a patents (so its really expensive, and your insurance might not cover all of it) but its much easier on the stomach. We also have sun sensitivity on it. It is a common side effect - not rare - and your skin will begin to tingle and feel bizarre (I was on minocycline years ago - this is how I know - I had this reaction and my son sunburns VERY easily as well on it) so - be careful, and if its bad, you will probably need to switch off it because even with sunscreen on - I could not expose any part of my skin to the sun at all (I had to switch, DS is OK right now, and keeping fingers crossed that when sun comes out again and baseball starts. Good luck!

Seems ok. A bit of testiness but not bad enough yet to give up. His stomach seems ok but dosage is low. Thanks. Lo e all u guys. This is the best forum in the world.