ACN Latitudes Forums

Choosing not to vaccinate

I'm curious about the yeast beast you brought up. My son I think has this issue. Did the yeast die off look like PANDAS? Was your child on diflucan at the same time as steroids? I read that steroids can cause yeast, but I also give to my son and it helps. My youngest is the one with the issue and he also has constipation every day of his life could that be yeast also?

I "calmly" tried to bring her up to speed with dd, gave her a lot of data, etc., in the hopes that she might be remotely interested in her or pandas. Not so. As I was explaining ivig to her she actually grabbed my dd's arm to look for puncture holes and warned of the dangers of ivig...AND the DANGER (shuddering now!!) of carrying a backpack over ONE shoulder!!! Ladies, add that to the top of your list of concerns. She also asked, "is she drinking her milk?!" . All the while frothing at the mouth over pumping (more like pimping) vaccines, vaccines, vaccines.

My pediatrician actually told me "There is nothing good in milk....." And he knows. He worked in a dairy through med school. He is a very prestigious doctor.

I'm curious about the yeast beast you brought up. My son I think has this issue. Did the yeast die off look like PANDAS? Was your child on diflucan at the same time as steroids? I read that steroids can cause yeast, but I also give to my son and it helps. My youngest is the one with the issue and he also has constipation every day of his life could that be yeast also?

The symptoms I am referring to with my dd12 are behavioral regression which looks like "love drunk" not raging in my girl and cognitive blunting which looks like lots of careless errors, great difficulty with multi-step processes and slow cognitive tempo. The IVIG would resolve all the OCD and tic related issue and improve the cognitive issues to a point. Mind you, we have done many IVIG treatments and Dr B pretreats with prednisone to prevent headaches. What I noticed is that immediately following IVIG and prednisone, my girl would be 100%, but then after a week or so, fade to 90%. It was the prednisone reducing the inflammation to reveal her true self. We even did a three week taper of steroids and the same thing happened, clear as a bell on the prednisone, faded after a week or so. The question was....what was causing this low-level inflammation preventing maintainable full recovery? When new, sweet doc recommended testing for yeast (just like so many here had suggested since I joined) I smiled politely, nodded my head, but inside was like 'oh brother, another yeaster!' I thought if the steroids made the symptom go away, it couldn't possibly be yeast-WRONG!!!! I WAS COMPLETELY WRONG!!! I apologize to anyone who made that suggestion and I rolled my eyes on this side of the screen!

Even with no outward symptoms, no bumm rash, no thrush, no vaginal yeast, odor, stomach complaints, none of that-it's still worth a stool test. I also think my girls are over-methylators and they can have high tolerance for pain/discomfort, so maybe that contributes. She is not currently taking any steroids, just the Diflucan, some supplements, Zith and tons of probiotics, but I have no idea if it is enough probiotics. How do you know if it's enough so the Yeast Beast does not return?

Can you tell I was a class clown?

YES!!! Ba ha! :D

The symptoms I am referring to with my dd12 are behavioral regression which looks like "love drunk" not raging in my girl and cognitive blunting which looks like lots of careless errors, great difficulty with multi-step processes and slow cognitive tempo. The IVIG would resolve all the OCD and tic related issue and improve the cognitive issues to a point. Mind you, we have done many IVIG treatments and Dr B pretreats with prednisone to prevent headaches. What I noticed is that immediately following IVIG and prednisone, my girl would be 100%, but then after a week or so, fade to 90%. It was the prednisone reducing the inflammation to reveal her true self. We even did a three week taper of steroids and the same thing happened, clear as a bell on the prednisone, faded after a week or so. The question was....what was causing this low-level inflammation preventing maintainable full recovery? When new, sweet doc recommended testing for yeast (just like so many here had suggested since I joined) I smiled politely, nodded my head, but inside was like 'oh brother, another yeaster!' I thought if the steroids made the symptom go away, it couldn't possibly be yeast-WRONG!!!! I WAS COMPLETELY WRONG!!! I apologize to anyone who made that suggestion and I rolled my eyes on this side of the screen!

Even with no outward symptoms, no bumm rash, no thrush, no vaginal yeast, odor, stomach complaints, none of that-it's still worth a stool test. I also think my girls are over-methylators and they can have high tolerance for pain/discomfort, so maybe that contributes. She is not currently taking any steroids, just the Diflucan, some supplements, Zith and tons of probiotics, but I have no idea if it is enough probiotics. How do you know if it's enough so the Yeast Beast does not return?

I will 2nd that yeast looks just like pandas. DS10 has had a groin rash on and off for years. Dan dr tells us it's a reaction to yeast in his body. I always thought you had to ONLY have bad stools to have a yeast problem. Not so!

1327790405[/url]' post='130543']

So how do we find a good DAN doctor? I also roll my eyes at yeast-ers. Lovingly so, though, of course! But I am listening to you JAG10. You have been a voice of reason many times before:)

Tried to PM you but your ox must be full.

Fantastic Melinda!

Yes, he ordered many labs upon our initial visit and we go back for a follow up Feb 6. My older girl came back positive for yeast in her stool, which many on this board have been telling me to check out for two years now- swallowing heaping spoonful of crow now!!! He did call in Diflucan for her. The first week was horrible, symptoms from way back reappeared. But this week she turned the corner and is now as good as she's been on steroids!!! So, crossing our fingers this is what has been holding her back from maintaining 100% when going off the prednisone.

She had no outward signs of yeast ever, no vaginal yeast, no thrush, no irregular bowel action, just the brain/slow cognitive tempo kind of lingering symptoms that just made life for a 12 yo girl a little harder than it needed to be. But the YeastBeast was there. Might be worth checking into if you feel like there is something else outside of the autoimmune cycle undermining your child's full recovery.

Did Dr. B do the stool yeast test?

1327967874[/url]' post='130726']
1327674636[/url]' post='130439']

Fantastic Melinda!

Yes, he ordered many labs upon our initial visit and we go back for a follow up Feb 6. My older girl came back positive for yeast in her stool, which many on this board have been telling me to check out for two years now- swallowing heaping spoonful of crow now!!! He did call in Diflucan for her. The first week was horrible, symptoms from way back reappeared. But this week she turned the corner and is now as good as she's been on steroids!!! So, crossing our fingers this is what has been holding her back from maintaining 100% when going off the prednisone.

She had no outward signs of yeast ever, no vaginal yeast, no thrush, no irregular bowel action, just the brain/slow cognitive tempo kind of lingering symptoms that just made life for a 12 yo girl a little harder than it needed to be. But the YeastBeast was there. Might be worth checking into if you feel like there is something else outside of the autoimmune cycle undermining your child's full recovery.

Did Dr. B do the stool yeast test?

No, but I don't know that he wouldn't. When I see him in 3 weeks, I will definitely discuss it with him. From what I've been reading, it's not uncommon for people with yeast issues to not be identified by the stool test......which makes me think she must be pretty bad if she was. Many yeast fighting practioners would assume our children have yeast problems for the simple fact that they are chronically on abx.

I have read up on yeast extensively.

I do not have the full list of symptoms with me now, but it is long.

The idea of yeast is that the good flora and the yeast coexist in the gut. Overabundance of yeast can happen when the probiotics are killed due to antibiotic. You need the KILL THE YEAST and TAKE A GOOD PROBIOTIC. Basically, a comparison would be to kill the weeds, and reseed the lawn.

Good yeast killers are:

Garlic

Green leafy vegetables like broccoli and kale

Caprylic Acid (sp?)

And a good Probiotic like Culturelle will replace the good flora.

There will be a die off reaction of the dying yeast releasing toxins for several days following the start of the treatment, but stay with the program. After about a week, the child should feel better.

My fam doc has "fired" pts who refuse vaccinations.i am sure i can get by with no gardasil and we do not do chicken pox shot. If I refused much more, I might be put out. There are.no vax docs but you will need.to search long and hard for them depending where you live.

If you can find a DAN doc in your area, I don't think you'll have a problem. Even if your child is not Autistic, DAN docs think more holistically, and many are against vaccinations, because of the whole autism/vaccination link.

We are getting "fired"/"dumped" from our pediatrician, simply because he decided after 4 years of treating my children (and me leading the way completely with PANDAS, which is pretty much everything wrong with them), that he just didn't feel comfortable treating them anymore. And, ours was simply because I asked him to order followup bloodwork for conditions he already has tested positive for (strep, mycoP, lyme, viruses!) So, yes, they can ask you to go elsewhere, and it's pretty sad that it all comes down to that.

Personally, if you're already having issues with this doc, I would start looking elsewhere, and see if you can find a pediatrician that's a better fit.

So how do you find a DAN doc?

Autism Research Institute (ARI) until fairly recently had a list of DAN! (Defeat Autism Now!) trained practitioners on their website. Try contacting the institute and ask for a list of DANs in your state. Good luck! (I love our DAN! I've got my boy back!)

Edit for pesky typos.

Edited by Ozimum

We just got fired from our ped as well. Never liked her anyway. Haven't "used" her since we discovered pandas. Wanted to put my dd on depakote rather than abx! We've been using Dr. B and getting by. But end of December my daughter's 6th grade physical came due and I held my breath and took dd just to get the darn form signed. First she rebuffed the whole pandas dx, even wrote on the form "parents self diagnosed condition called pandas" which was merely her pissiness coming out of her pours. Then wrote "parents refuse vaccines after my GRAVE concerns -- I WILL NOT approve exemption.". This written in a black sharpie and double circled on the form. My dh asked her to remove anecdotal commentary on form as it was a state form just certifying that an exam took place and verification of shots received to date. After many back and forth calls it finally ended with us telling her we do not want or need her exemption as we already had a religious exemption. With that, we have moved on. It is very scary how these dopes are trying not only to intimidate and bully parents who are only fighting for the welfare of their children, but trying to heal an already sick child. She tried to make us feel stupid. My suggestion would be to ask a homeopath for a pediatrician recommendation. They probably won't have a long list, but perhaps someone you can work with.

This is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!Over what???.......meningitis for an 11 yo?

I had Dr B's letter regarding vaccines. Did you have that to show her? The Ped I just fired was only concerned when he could "catch dd12 up" on meningitis vaccine. I mean, really, if the primary role of a Ped is to administer vaccines "on schedule", who needs them and why do they even need to be doctors? There must be some kind of vaccine bonus they receive-MUST be!!!!!!

We switched to a family doc who is also a DAN. The whole family switched to him, luckily in network.

Jag- I'm glad to hear you like the fam doc - as you know we use him too. He is my angel right now! He sat with me for over an hour last Tuesday evening (if you recall, I'm having a difficult time getting dd to leave the house due to severe nausea). He promised to see us through this and help in any way. He never talks at you - just treats you like a family member - love him!

May I ask who this doctor is? The one who promises to see you through it? You can PM me or however you prefer.

Well, he is really just a local doc - I'm not sure I would travel from another state to see him. I usually receive most of my info here and then have him help me pursue it. But, considering I travel to CT for our other docs, he's a keeper. I'm sorry I'm not of more help.

I noticed your in Florida. Have you looked into Dr. Julie Buckley in Pointe Vedre? There's also Dr. Bradstreet and Dr. Rossignol in Melbourne. I have no experience with these physicians - just saw them mentioned here.

edit- not sure if they accept insurance.

Edited by philamom