ACN Latitudes Forums

ADHD, ODD OR could it be PANDAS

feedjke

Okay, I have a son who has had PANDAS for 4 years and we live in Ohio and have about zero help here. Luckily he is somewhat mild and still fully functioning. Its me that usually ends up not function after dealing with all the behavioral and emotional issues. So he is 12 and I have a 10 year old daughter as well. She is a behavioral mess. We finally have a diagnosis that is def ODD and borderline to yes on the ADHD. However now that I have been jumping into all the new PANDAS information I just wonder if it could be PANDAS? how would I know the difference she has had many undetected or late detected strep infections since neither one of my kids show any normal symptoms such as sore, red throat, fever etc. I cant even get help for the PANDAS kid I have how would I even go about finding someone who could look at a possible connection. Although my PANDAS child is rough, my 10 year old is a nightmare. I do not medicate her and dont want to unless I have ruled out every other theory. Is PANDAS likely in siblings?

Okay, I have a son who has had PANDAS for 4 years and we live in Ohio and have about zero help here. Luckily he is somewhat mild and still fully functioning. Its me that usually ends up not function after dealing with all the behavioral and emotional issues. So he is 12 and I have a 10 year old daughter as well. She is a behavioral mess. We finally have a diagnosis that is def ODD and borderline to yes on the ADHD. However now that I have been jumping into all the new PANDAS information I just wonder if it could be PANDAS? how would I know the difference she has had many undetected or late detected strep infections since neither one of my kids show any normal symptoms such as sore, red throat, fever etc. I cant even get help for the PANDAS kid I have how would I even go about finding someone who could look at a possible connection. Although my PANDAS child is rough, my 10 year old is a nightmare. I do not medicate her and dont want to unless I have ruled out every other theory. Is PANDAS likely in siblings?

Yes, PANDAS is VERY common in siblings!

If you post to the PANDAS/PITANDS forum you'll get a lot of help and support in figuring out what is going on.

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=17

Edited by peglem

• 1 month later...

As Peglem noted, it definitely runs in families--some families at least!

If I were you, I would try to see if there is a treatment effect with a 30 day course of antibiotics.

Having dealt with this for 4 years ourselves, I can understand your concerns re: medications.

Though at times, I wonder if the fear that holds us back -- is actually holding out kids back from a normal childhood?

I have often thought of the frog in the pot of slowly heating water...he never realizes it is in full boil until too late.

Our experience when we have waited to TRY to treat, has robbed us all.

• 1 month later...

As Peglem noted, it definitely runs in families--some families at least!

If I were you, I would try to see if there is a treatment effect with a 30 day course of antibiotics.

Having dealt with this for 4 years ourselves, I can understand your concerns re: medications.

Though at times, I wonder if the fear that holds us back -- is actually holding out kids back from a normal childhood?

I have often thought of the frog in the pot of slowly heating water...he never realizes it is in full boil until too late.

Our experience when we have waited to TRY to treat, has robbed us all.

I can so relate to that analogy. My child has Pandas and I was SO worried about treatment that we did everything else. Now, five years later we are finally getting to the bottom of it. Fear and lack of knowledge. Awful.

• 1 year later...

HI, I have a son who has Pandas, and a son whom is borderline adhd (no meds) and on the ODD side of the fence. I have for the past 4 weeks applied Howard Glasser's, Transforming the difficult child, the Nurtured Heart Approach....it has worked wonders...especially for my ODD child. I promise it comes with insights and techniques that will change your world. It comes in an audio version as well. I watched it, applied it, and within two days, saw results...My kids have flunked out of every other behavior mod program for 3 years now...This one works...pm me if you would like....qannie

• 1 month later...