ACN Latitudes Forums

Son has painful head tic

Hello it has been a very long time since I have posted. I get on once in an while to read and get info but havent posted. Up until a few weeks ago things have been pretty good.

My son is 10 yrs old and was diagnosed with Tourettes at age 6. We had some bad times and good times as you all know with TS thats how it is. Recently my son has started a tic that is really painful for him. He is thrusting his head forward several times a day. We havent seen a big one like this for some time. I had to take him home from school today because it was so bad. He is in actual pain.

As this time he is taking a multi, B6, B1, zinc, mag taurate and calcium. Those vitamins and a semi-no artificial flavor and color or HFC diet. He is probably on a 80% no preservatives diet. We can usually pin point the triggers but with this tic I am at a loss.

I am wondering about seasonal allergies - can they appear in tics and not the normal stuffy nose kind of way. The reason I ask is because every April since he was 6 his tics increase for about a month and than they subside agian. But this year here in California (bay area) we have had a bizarre weather cycle with it raining almost the whole month of April so now things are in bloom and going crazy and so is my sons tics. He was allergy tested a few years ago and he is allergic to some trees and grasses etc. but he never has the typical allergy symptoms.

I sent an e-mail to a NUCCA Chiropractor this evening and hope to hear back from her to see if she can help my son with the pain in his neck.

I am holding back the tears eveytime I see him tic. It's been so long since I have felt this useless for him with his TS. I hate this...... Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gina

Hi Gina and so sorry your son is going through this waxing phase with a painful tic.

We know all about these as head tics were some of the worst my son had, and the NUCCA chiro was a blessing!

Allergies flaring up can most definitely be related to tic increases! I think the weather has been really weird for all of us, and here in Florida we have had a very bad drought and heat thru most of the winter and there is so much pollen etc everywhere that we are all stuffy & itchy......my son's tics are also up some but thankfully they are not intrusive ones.

A very helpful pain relief for the neck in these head tics is those resusable ice packs...our NUCCA recommended them. My son would lie down with an ice pac under his neck and find it soothed the pain

Also, dont forget the Epsom salts tubs

hope this one wanes quickly Gina

Hi Gina,

We have found that seasonal allergies cause tics - eye squints start and then once I make the connection we use antihistimine eye drops and the tic stops. We also notice that rainy weather can cause an increase - probably molds in the air. And every once and a while with the change of season subtle tics come out - we use Aerius during these times and within a couple of days the tics are gone - there is clearly a connection. My son does not show normal allergy symtpoms nor normal illness symptoms. We know he is sick based on any tics that emerge - then if he takes it slowly he is fine within a few days. The whole family can be sick with a virus and he only shows an increase in tics. Weird how the body works!

Good Luck