ACN Latitudes Forums

need calcium and magnesium supplements

tstryker

Hi, I would like to see if anyone has suggestions for a clean calcium and magnesium supplement. My 9 year old ds takes several supplements a day, and in order to get the amounts my Naturopath wants him to take of Calcium and Magnesium, it ends up being 16 supplements a day just for those two!! He take Pure Encapsulatiions Calcium, totaling 1000 mg a day and BonTech Magnesium (600 mg a day). Any recommentdations for any other brands where he can take less??

Thanks,

Tina

What dosage was recommended?

Hi guy123, thanks for replying. My Naturopath wants my son to have 400mg of Magnesium Taurate a day (200 in the a.m. and 200 in the p.m.), plus he does a magnesium abdomen rub (from Kirkman) and he does the Natural Calm at night (not to mention epsom salt in his bath ). For Calcium, she wants my ds to have 600 mg in the a.m. and 600 mg in the p.m. I don't mind continuing the magnesium rub, Natural Calm and epsom salt baths, but am hoping to find a way to reduce the amount of capsules he needs to take to get the rest of Magnesium and Calcium he needs (at this point it is 16 a day just for these two supplements). Any advice???

Hi

there are a number of companies that make good combination calcium/magnesium supplements, and also make them separate and one tab a day would satisfy the dose required

The only ones to avoid are mag oxide (poorly absorbed) and cal carbonate (can be contaminated if from oyster shells )

iherb.com has a good selection in a wide price range, and they list all the ingredients

Hi

there are a number of companies that make good combination calcium/magnesium supplements, and also make them separate and one tab a day would satisfy the dose required

The only ones to avoid are mag oxide (poorly absorbed) and cal carbonate (can be contaminated if from oyster shells )

iherb.com has a good selection in a wide price range, and they list all the ingredients

Hi Chemar, thank you very much for the information...I will look into it today.

Tina

I'm sure you're aware of this, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. Often, combined ingredients cause no problem, but some times one of the ingredients can be a trigger. My son did not tolerate taurine. - Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. My son takes all the typical ts & OCD supplements (zinc, taurine, inositol, B vitamins, multi, calcium, magnesium, 5HTP), and I basically started them all within a month or so of each other. We saw some results, but he still ended up waxing in the fall as usual. I often wonder that maybe he would do better if I removed one for a period to see if it is possibly triggering him. I started off with the Bontech, but that seemed to make his tics much worse. So that's when I started to put my own "recipe" together, basing it on all the information I received from this website ( and mainly Chemar...thank you!!!). Shortly after that, I found a Naturopath who since then has been helping me.

Just a side note...I had a friend of ours who is a Neuromuscular Dentist and Orthodontist make my son a retainer to see if that might help, and it completely eliminated his Copralalia and Copraprexia within a day or two. It didn't seem to help with the rest of my son's tics (mostly vocal). but at least it seemed to work for the two most troublesome ones. It's been 7 months now, and he's down to just wearing the retainer at night, and those two particular tics have never came back....time will only tell.

Tina