ACN Latitudes Forums

Research: Antibiotic shown to lessen OCD

T_Mom

OK, so why haven't I heard of this before??? hmmm.

Below are a few links, which I personally have never seen, but indicate "research says" : The ABX D-Cycloserine Lessens OCD Symptoms

Is anyone using this abx?

thoughts???

video:

http://www.king5.com/health/Antibiotic-shows-promise-in-treating-OCD-disorders-137327438.html

http://www.steveseay.com/ocd-d-cycloserine-medication-treatment/

article:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/571476

from the article:

D-Cycloserine Plus Behavioral Therapy Lessens OCD Symptoms

Pauline Anderson

March 14, 2008 – A short course of D-cycloserine (DCS) (Seromycin, Eli Lilly) added to behavioral therapy could improve outcomes for patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), a new study suggests. The study, published in the March issue of the American Journal of Psychiatry, showed that patients receiving DCS had a 52% decrease in the Yale-Brown OCD scale after only 5 behavioral therapy sessions.

"This is a really fast and clinically meaningful response," said Sabine Wilhelm, PhD, associate professor at Harvard Medical School and director of the OCD and related disorders program and the cognitive-behavioral therapy program at Massachusetts General Hospital, in Boston. The study "shows that DCS speeds up the therapeutic effect inherent in behavior therapy and that patients can reach subclinical OCD levels after only very few sessions."

"Fast and Clinically Meaningful" Unlike agents that target serotonin receptors, DCS interferes with the subtype of glutamate receptor called N-methyl-D-aspartic acid (NMDA). Originally approved by the Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of tuberculosis, DCS has been tested as a treatment for neurocognitive deficits in schizophrenia and Alzheimer’s disease. More recently, it has been used to augment exposure-based behavior therapy for several anxiety disorders.

This current double-blind, placebo-controlled trial included 23 patients with OCD enrolled through Massachusetts General Hospital or the Institute of Living, in Hartford, Connecticut. The patients received either placebo or DCS in addition to behavioral therapy sessions. The groups did not differ in the proportion of patients currently receiving psychiatric medications or in their pretreatment Yale Brown OCD Scale or Beck Depression Inventory- 11 total scores.

Edited by T.Mom

TMom-

Dr Storch and Dr Murphy are also interested in this antibiotic combined with CBT for OCD. This is a preliminary study- I don't have a link now, and I think they MAY have an ongoing study.

Storch, E.A., Murphy, T.K., Goodman, W.K., Geffken, G.R., Lewin, A.B., Henin, A., Micco, J.A., Sprich, S., Wilhelm S., Bengtson, M., Geller, D.A. (in press) A Preliminary Study of D-Cycloserine Augmentation of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy in Pediatric Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Biological Psychiatry

Yes, actually there're a number of papers on this.

The interest/research began over a decade ago with adults, and then several well-known doctors collaborated on a meta-study.

Dr. Storch mentioned it at the IOCDF conference a couple of years ago, and they have published the results. I think I found the paper on the USF web site, under Dr. Storch's resume.

Happy to share. Just PM me.