ACN Latitudes Forums

PANDAS and skin reaction - blisters

if indeed there is an answer, you know how that goes!

LOL Yes, I do know how that goes! But, it's interesting that even though our kids present with all sorts of unusual symptoms the docs can't explain and/or haven't seen before-- if we come here and post, sure enough someone else will report the same in their child.

I've sort of dubbed my family the "anofamily," but if we're anomalies, at least we're in good company :)

Hi, my daughter (who was diagnosed with PANDAS 3 years ago) has been having what I thought was an allergic reaction to something for the past few months. Her hands and arms get red and itchy and sometimes burn. Sometimes her legs and feet get it too. We just went for allergy testing both skin and blood and everything was negative. The Dr said it could possible be an autoimmune response.... She even got blisters the last time on her legs and face.... Has anyone ever heard of something like this or had a similar experience????

Thanks,

Michelle

My daughter (whose PANDAS is doing well now) has this and in fact the other night came to me, with it bothering her quite badly. Her hands (tops and palms) and her entire foot from the ankle down was red and itchy. I thought It almost looked slightly swollen, but she did not think so. It was almost a "burning itch" , she said. I do think it is some autoimmune response, which she had some indication of a potential autoimmune condition before PANDAS struck. (arthritis and psoriatic spot on her scalp)- both of these have gotten better since pex, IVIG, zithro. Obviously, those tx would help any autoimmune issue, I imagine, at least temporarily. If it happens again (it used to happen more frequently) we will go see our family doctor, I suppose.

However, the red bump issue is something that seems constant on my 4 yo's face. It can be the same area or even a few different area, but she always has one or two at a time. They did go away last summer, when she was on antibiotic for something else. My family doc thought I was an idiot when I asked if it was possible strep or staph. (it never really gets worse- just is always there). She does not pick at it at all. I told our PANDAS doc and she thought it could be a form of impetigo- but that was not on examination. Does anyone have any medical "proof" that a bacteria skin issue can show up like this? I would love to take some to my family doc and get her treated!

She does has some OCD & ADHD, so I do not want this (if it is bacteria) hanging around her.

Hi, my daughter (who was diagnosed with PANDAS 3 years ago) has been having what I thought was an allergic reaction to something for the past few months. Her hands and arms get red and itchy and sometimes burn. Sometimes her legs and feet get it too. We just went for allergy testing both skin and blood and everything was negative. The Dr said it could possible be an autoimmune response.... She even got blisters the last time on her legs and face.... Has anyone ever heard of something like this or had a similar experience????

Thanks,

Michelle

My ds8 gets these "bumps" on his thigh area ONLY!

PRE PANDAS

It was dx as impetigo 2 yrs ago by our Ped, The bumos appeared after a strep infection that was treated with ABX, so the Ped gave us another round of ABX to clear the bumps. About 3 months later they came back again, another round of ABX. And again and again....tested positive for strep 3x with no symptoms present other than these bumps that are always in the same exact place. Again impetigo we are told and given an abx cream to use. This only temporarily cleared the bumps. And they continue to come back.

Fast forward 2 years....bumps still coming and going. Ped here now (FL) thinks I am nuts when I told him of my ds history and the bumps being impetigo as the Ped in Ohio had dx. So for the sake of humoring me he tested my ds for strep and BINGO...he ate crow and we got the ABX. From there we did God knows how many rounds of ABX cream because this ped would not give the abx anymore and said it was not strep......Seriously? So I asked for a Dermatologist referral thinking they would get to the bottom of this, wrong again, she just gave me MORE abx cream! One ped told me to do bleach baths---I was appalled!

This still has not cleared the bumps and they continue to come and go! I am certain beyond a doubt that this is what caused my ds8 PANDAS! He for the past 3 years now has not completely cleared his system of strep. He does not make antibodies to strep either so he cannot fight strep off on his own! Nor does a low dose 10 day ABX do any good. That is obvious to me now!

Dr M recent;y took pics of the bumps, and I am doing the same. Keeping them as part of my daily journal binder!

And in my experience they ABSOLUTELY 100% go hand in hand during and exacerbation! The timing is parallel! He gets sick or even looks like he is going to get sick and within 1 week or sometimes less the BUMPS start popping out again!

So YES for us there is a HANDS DOWN connection!

Just wish someone could culture them to see exactly what they are, definitely impetigo (3 docs now confirmed) but whether it is strep or staph resistant MRSA I would like to know.

It is never contagious to us, and seems to be coming from the inside out, like his body is pushing out what he can't fight off in some way!

I would be interested in a pic library as well.

I am no expert by any means, but my whole family has been dealing with Candida (yeast) for a while now. I have been doing a lot of research on this topic for the past month. From what I have read, Candida can cause everyone of the symptoms listed under this topic. Candida can cause many different rashes, blisters, cradle cap, anal rashes, even the elbow rash mentioned above. It is definitely worth checking into.