ACN Latitudes Forums

I'm sooo tired!

Nausea and stomach pain are one of my daughter's bart symptoms. We stopped bart treatment (except for A-Bart) two months ago as her bart symptoms had mostly resolved and started to address lyme. Over the last 2 months all of her bart symptoms have begun returning, motor tics, repeating sentences under her breath after she has spoken, long bone pain, stomach pain and nausea. She doesn't have a fear of nausea, but tells me it's there. She also has a lower tolerance for swinging/spinning.

I'm sorry to hear that. My dd also has bartonella (positive by Specialty). She had almost the same issues two years ago before lyme treatment, that went completely away for 11 months while on lyme treatment. When she was doing better, she had no issues (cartwheels,headstands, rode every rollercoaster allowed,exc) - no in-between.

My daughter walked in - so I accidentally posted. I wanted to ask if you will be resuming Bartonella treatment?

Edited by philamom

My DD10 started Septra in June to address bart symptoms (Igenex IgM positive for bart, a couple of bands for lyme), but had an allergic reaction so was changed to rifampin in July. She was on rifampin/biaxin for 4 months and when bart symptoms had mostly resolved added A-Bart, A-L, dropped rifampin and added plaquenil to address lyme which was starting to show up (new symptoms not seen before - joint pain, extremity tingling). Our LLMD thinks bart was not quite taken care of and so we are starting at it again with biaxin/rifampin/plaquenil continuous for a month and then maybe pulsed. I thought bart was relatively straightforward to treat but our LLMD mentioned that she is seeing sicker patients out of Canada recently.

My DD10 started Septra in June to address bart symptoms (Igenex IgM positive for bart, a couple of bands for lyme), but had an allergic reaction so was changed to rifampin in July. She was on rifampin/biaxin for 4 months and when bart symptoms had mostly resolved added A-Bart, A-L, dropped rifampin and added plaquenil to address lyme which was starting to show up (new symptoms not seen before - joint pain, extremity tingling). Our LLMD thinks bart was not quite taken care of and so we are starting at it again with biaxin/rifampin/plaquenil continuous for a month and then maybe pulsed. I thought bart was relatively straightforward to treat but our LLMD mentioned that she is seeing sicker patients out of Canada recently.

hmmm...I was under the impression bart was difficult to treat. Or difficult to rid of? Ok- I'm confusing myself. I hope the symptoms resolve again soon.

dcmom or LLM-

I was able to get Dd into a store today (for a webkinz). In order for her to leave the house I had to tell her she wouldn't throw up. "I'm not going to throw up, right?" is what she will constantly ask before attempting to leave. Now, I realize I gave in and I should have said "Most likely you won't throw up and if does happen, it's no big deal - we will take care of it and move on with our day. But once I told her she wouldn't throw up, she said "ok, let's do this" and now she's so proud of herself.

Was that wrong or right? I mean, I did get her out of the house, so it's a step in the right direction, right? We still have a long way to go. We actually went to another store as well b4 she asked to go home.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Edited by philamom

You got her into a car, a store and she's proud of herself. In my book, you both did great!! Sure, there's probably other ways to do it that don't feed into the OCD. But baby steps have to be built on success. So you gave her a success today. Whoooo Hoooo!

I have no idea if the way we do therapy at home is "correct". But it gets the job done. I find it hard to get my head around ERP, probably because we've never worked with anyone on how to do it and you can only get so much from a book, plus my kids have more anxiety than OCD with compulsions. CBT is something that seems to work with my kids' anxiety, so we do that every day. In CBT, helping her get into an "I can do this" mental state is key and you seem to have done that. If you can build on it, that's awesome!

philamom-

I agree with llm.

Maybe you are substituting one ocd for another right now, but the goal in to get closer to functioning.

You are in such a hard place- very hard to get out of without major professional help from someone really good with erp.

You should move towards- No most likely you will not throw up today, but I cannot guarantee it because someday in your life, you will throw up- BUT when you do, you WILL be able to handle it. And then refuse to engage in the conversation any further or again.

BUT- it is baby steps.

I am just a mom, I have very little erp experience, just some time with a GREAT psych working with my kids. It is a frame of mind, an I am going to be completely honest and open with this kid, and work on getting them to live in a very age appropriate manner, a step at a time. But sometimes it is hard to get from here to there in a direct line.

Having had a kid with some agoraphobia tendencies with pandas- I say CELEBRATE. Having her out in the world is a huge step, an exposure, and maybe she will naturally start to be able to expose herself to her fears.

Most of erp is somewhat intuitive, common sense- BUT when you are in the situation it is VERY hard to see clearly (I am much better at giving advice than giving myself the same advice sometimes). I find, when my kids are getting to a "healthier" place, they start doing some of their own erp; "well I CANT possibly go to school, but I will try to go to the store, and see how it is..." etc.

Now the trick is- you NEED to get her out of the house, to a public place, EVERY SINGLE DAY until this is a distant memory.

This is great news, and a great start, and I think you should rejoice with her!