ACN Latitudes Forums

What dose for N-acetyl-l-cysteine?

dut

Hi I was wondering what dose people are using? Is the dose for that would be used to treat trich. different to that for normal supplementation?

I foiund a paper discussing it's use for hairpulling etc but could find no dosing schedule.

Dut --

There were NIMH trials done at Yale for both pediatric and adult OCD; the trial notice provides the dosing, too.

Trial for NAC in Pediatric OCD

Trial for Adults in Treatment Refractory OCD

Hopefully this will help. My DS14 takes the adult-sized dose as described in the study.

My DS tried NAC at two different times - each for a two week interval. On each occasion, he began getting stuck and became extremely redundant - often repeating the same story a dozen times within an hour. By the time we'd concluded the second trial, it was very obvious that the behavior was tied to his use of NAC, so we stopped. In his case, that was the only change. Nothing positive transpired as a result of his use of NAC. Curious to hear from others what the positives have been and if there have been negatives.

My DS tried NAC at two different times - each for a two week interval. On each occasion, he began getting stuck and became extremely redundant - often repeating the same story a dozen times within an hour. By the time we'd concluded the second trial, it was very obvious that the behavior was tied to his use of NAC, so we stopped. In his case, that was the only change. Nothing positive transpired as a result of his use of NAC. Curious to hear from others what the positives have been and if there have been negatives.

We tried NAC. I think they were 400 or 500 mg capsules. I was only giving it once a day (just b/c all her meds are 1x daily, and dd would have resisted meds at other times of the day). At 1-2 capsules/day we didn't notice a difference. At 3x daily dd said it made her "thinking fuzzy".

I do feel like we didn't give NAC an entirely fair shot however, 1-2 capsules 3x daily would have been a better expirement.

My DD6 did a 2 week trial at 600 mg 1/day. Couldn't say if I saw any changes one way or the other until week 2, when she started to get manic and mean episodes. After researching, found that NAC is mucus thinner. It can be used to erode biofilms. Tho her medical issues are clear as mud, it is very likely she has some sort of chronic infection - possibly/probably lyme? - and biofilms are likely part of her issue. We weren't ready to do any sort of cyst-busting for her until we did methylation stuff to get her healthier. So we stopped the NAC.

However, I would consider trying it again when the time comes. Let me know how it works out for you.

We feel NAC is a successful intervention for our DS, but he has been at a level, steady dose for nearly 2 years now, so any of the negatives potentially brought to the table by initially shaking up his chemistry or maybe even the biofilm-busting component of the NAC is probably long past at this point.

I would suggest, however, starting at a low dose and building up a bit over a few weeks, as it can cause some intestinal issues (gas, mostly, in our case). There've also been cautions I've seen . . . sorry, can't recall or resurrect the source now . . . about making sure that adequate doses of Vitamin C accompany NAC. I think it was something about processing/removing an amonia by-product? Anyway, Vitamin C seems like a good move for our DS, anyway, so we just dual-dose the NAC and VC.

Thanks for the info.

LLM - It's for me actually not dd or ds. Don't ask :) If it's successful, I'll report. If not, I won't. I'm happy to tell by pm if anyone is interested.. very cloak and dagger but painfully dull and boring actually :)

Hi there. My son has been on NAC for 3 months now.

He has 500mg morning and again at night.

We noticed a decrease in tics (actually stopped completely about week 5/6 then kicked up again when exposed to another virus two weeks later.)

His asthma has been better and we haven't noticed any other symptoms.

Good luck with your trial :)