ACN Latitudes Forums

I know we've talked about tonsillectomy....

amyjoy

...Just wondering if that is in our near future.

Recently took DS15 off of Zithro just because he gets alot of gut stuff so i thought i'd give him a break. I tried using Andrographis as some others have done, 400mg three times a day with plenty of probiotics, although i must admit sometimes he would miss a dose. Within 2 weeks, a strep throat.

the same thing happened in september when i took him off and tried OLE as others have done, and within 2 weeks he had full swing strep pharyngitis.

normally his tonsils are small and don't look infected.

the good news continues to be that even with crazy strep there are NO noted PANDAS symptom exacerbations aside from a very small tic in his ankle at bedtime. for this i continue to be incredibly grateful.

any thoughts / experiences out there?

thanks alot

We did the t & a on both kids Nov. 2011.

So far neither of them has had strep since, although we did have a whole host of other issues right after the tonsillectomy with my older daughter. Her tonsils looked completely normal too, but when they took them out, they were literally full of pus. The surgeon said they were the most disgusting things he had ever seen.

I am planning T & A for my ds. His tonsils look small and normal too, though his strep titers have been elevated for 1 1/2 yrs now. Just spoke with another pandas mom, whose dd had normal looking tonsils out last month and upon culture were full of pseudomonas!! So I guess you just never know what's inside by looking at them and after they're out, well it's one less thing to think and wonder about and it may provide alot of relief of symptoms.

We had my pandas ds and my non pandas dd's tonsils out almost 2 years ago and we have not had a positive strep culture since. My dd had strep consantly prior... the ENT said that upon looking both their tonsils were not enlarged and looked ok.. but after he described them as others have said... said they were an infected mess. he said often the infected ones look small but in reality are just squished infected messes.

Both of my PANDAS kids had their tonsils out in November of last year. We had an AMAZING recovery with our 4 year old - who is our severe case. However, over the past two weeks he began a serious backslide and tested postive for strep last week.

I'm glad we did the T&A - it was worth it for us, even with this reinfection. His symptoms are not as severe this time as they have been in the past.