ACN Latitudes Forums

Stuttering

Hi - ds4 had a stutter at 2. It was a proper getting stuck on the hard consonants type. For him abx made it go away and Dr T felt, as did I, that it was part of PANS. It only lasted 3 or so weeks and abx kicked it into touch in 5 days for us....

My sons very first symptom of PANDAS was stuttering. It started after his kindergarten shots. Then, it disappeared in about 2 months. 2 years later (age 7) he contracted the strep that sent the PANDAS symptoms soaring. He also developed the stuttering again...it, along with a neck tic, were his most persistent symptoms. My sons stuttering would wax and wane along with illness for the next 3 or so years. He always got so frustrated by it. It has been well over a year now that I have not heard the stuttering or have seen the infamous neck tic. :) He is now 12.

Stuttering can be a symptom of TS, which if you circle this bowl enough you will question whether TS exists.

There isn't a lot known about the cause(s) of stuttering. If you have a smart phone, there is an app called DAF asst. DAF is delayed auditory feedback. It works. I have a high school student with a significant stutter that he has had for 10 years now. Over time he has developed secondary behaviors that are tics, blinks, eye rolls, neck jerks, ect. When he uses the DAF on his iPhone, he is fluent. When I use it with him, it makes me stutter. So there is some disturbance of the receiving of auditory input, you would think.

This boy has never had any waxing/waning patterns or other associated symptoms other than the stuttering and those secondary behaviors. Of course, as Dr. Cunningham describes....pans makes us question everything we think we know about these disorders.