ACN Latitudes Forums

Cowden protocol

momcap

Has anyone here tried the Cowden protocol? Any successes/failures to report? I'm trying to figure out next steps because my GP is not on board anymore with aggressive antibiotic treatments. I'm trying to decide if we're going ahead without him, or trying another angle. I would love some feedback! Thanks!

Hi- I have not used the protocol, but do use Burbur for detox with my dd, and I like it for her.

I did look into it awhile ago, and it sure looks interesting, especially with

Eva Sapi's research that backed up these herbs with real results.

When I was trying to research it, I googled and got some threads from lymeweb MD

(sp.?) it was hard to find more testimonies.

Has anyone here tried the Cowden protocol? Any successes/failures to report? I'm trying to figure out next steps because my GP is not on board anymore with aggressive antibiotic treatments. I'm trying to decide if we're going ahead without him, or trying another angle. I would love some feedback! Thanks!

I have a 3 year old son recovering from lyme induced autism and before I could get him to an LLMD I treated him with 1 dropper holistic cats claw daily and 1/2 tsp twice daily colloidal silver. I had tremendous success with increased eyecontact vocalization and massive herx reactions. The colloidal was very calming and reduced his constant movement and patterns. Once we started the antibiotic therapy I discontinued the cats claw and colloidal. He is currently off medication and progressing well.

• 6 months later...

Hey Momcap-

Did you ever try the Cowden protocol?

My dd7 has been in a significant flair/relapse, I've put her back on antibiotics- Lyme treatment.

I looked into Cowden last week-

4 dosing times a day, specific herbs covering the co-infections too-

6 month condensed protocol = $1,700 (estimate, and at adult dosage)

Anyway, hope all is well there, wondering if anyone had feedback.

Hey Momcap-

Did you ever try the Cowden protocol?

My dd7 has been in a significant flair/relapse, I've put her back on antibiotics- Lyme treatment.

I looked into Cowden last week-

4 dosing times a day, specific herbs covering the co-infections too-

6 month condensed protocol = $1,700 (estimate, and at adult dosage)

Anyway, hope all is well there, wondering if anyone had feedback.

No, I could not find ANYONE with a personal story of positive feedback on Cowden. Given the cost and lack of personal testimonies I didn't bother. So we continued with antibiotics without our GP's approval. PANDAS DS is doing okay, but had a backslide in the spring and never got all the way back to the level of wellness he was at in the winter. We are thrilled with his overall progress - Physical symptoms are 100% gone (!!!!), OCD is minor now, but germaphobia & mood lability are stubbornly hanging on. I took him off abx last week because he caught a stomach bug, and today he had a berserker fit - so obviously we haven't arrived. I hope someday he can function without abx. So frustrated, but also happy things don't even compare to a year ago!

Well, great! Nice progress :-)

Believe me, I know how frustrating the setbacks can be- yep, it's better to look at the overall picture, but yikes, in the thick of it, just want out.

Yeah, I can't find very many Cowden testimonies either--looks good on paper though-

I will say, I do like the Burber and Parsley to help detox.

So, dd is back on Amoxicillin, I'm going to be brave and try Tindamax on weekends, and mix in A-Bart, and I have Beyond Balance Bar-1 for Bartonella here, too-

and going to buy the Pekana 3 for detox- she does better on the homeopathics than I do-

Wish me luck, nice catching up---

Well, great! Nice progress :-)

Believe me, I know how frustrating the setbacks can be- yep, it's better to look at the overall picture, but yikes, in the thick of it, just want out.

Yeah, I can't find very many Cowden testimonies either--looks good on paper though-

I will say, I do like the Burber and Parsley to help detox.

So, dd is back on Amoxicillin, I'm going to be brave and try Tindamax on weekends, and mix in A-Bart, and I have Beyond Balance Bar-1 for Bartonella here, too-

and going to buy the Pekana 3 for detox- she does better on the homeopathics than I do-

Wish me luck, nice catching up---

Is something in that mix going to get intracellular lyme? Our LLMD says we have to go after extracellular lyme, intracellular lyme, and cyst lyme all at once to finally beat this thing. That's what we are doing now - or were doing before this stomach bug. I'm hoping to get back on track tomorrow. Well good luck for sure. Don't we all need a little extra of that?!

Yes, Biaxin here, too-- this was what she was on before we completely went off 2+ months ago

(Amoxicillin and Biaxin)

*sigh*

Guess it just drove it all into cyst form, now it's out-

the Risperadone is no longer working (put her on that when we went off antibiotics and herbs)

So tough.

Hope to see some improvement -

Thanks for your help--

Yes, Biaxin here, too-- this was what she was on before we completely went off 2+ months ago

(Amoxicillin and Biaxin)

*sigh*

Guess it just drove it all into cyst form, now it's out-

the Risperadone is no longer working (put her on that when we went off antibiotics and herbs)

So tough.

Hope to see some improvement -

Thanks for your help--

Biaxin was really rough for DS. We got through 1 month of it, and had to change game plans. He was raging, got fevers, rashes, and his knee and elbow joints swelled like balloons (first and only time that happened). Very scary. I keep wondering about revisiting it now that (I hope) his bacterial load is down. It just seemed like it hit way too hard when we tried it at the beginning. I sure hope it works wonders for you! We had a similar experience with risperidone - helped a little bit for a little while, then not at all.

We tried Cowden early on in DD10's treatment. She was on biaxin as well at the time. It made no difference (good or bad), so i'm thinking the lack of herx means it really was not effective for her. We did have a pronounced herx with A-Bart 20 minutes after we introduced it, so we have been sticking with that, along with A-L, rifampin and pulsed tindamax.

We are up in your neck of the woods through the next week (Grand Bend). PM me if you would like to get together.

Edited by rowingmom

Thank you-

Well, back in the thick of it with her- started Biaxin too, will work up on that, nystatin, all the rest, here we go again.

Odd, I've never associated brain fog with her, but she seems more articulate since starting back up-

Hardest part trying to keep up the die off.

Appreciate the support-

S-

The problem with the Cowden as well as the Zhang protocols is there is no science. What both of them have done is to take traditional indigenous medicine and make pharmaceutical grade products out of them. In the end you have nothing like what you began with. And then there is no testing. One product may actually be negating another product. Many mainstream pharmaceutical drugs are made from naturally occurring organic compounds. Rifampin was originally found in a soil sample in a pine forest on the French Rivera. Rifampin causing many drug interactions through it metabolic process in the liver. Many drugs are rendered useless by taking rifampin. So when I look at the Cowden and Zhang protocols I look at a hogdepodge of products put together by one person making anecdotal claims about its effectiveness not to mention also making a lot of money off of said products. Zhang is not using TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine). He has taken herbs out of the bag, refined them and put them in a capsule. TCM has a 5000 years history. AFter seeing your OMD you walk out with a bag of herbs that you boil and drink.

Red

The problem with the Cowden as well as the Zhang protocols is there is no science. What both of them have done is to take traditional indigenous medicine and make pharmaceutical grade products out of them. In the end you have nothing like what you began with. And then there is no testing. One product may actually be negating another product. Many mainstream pharmaceutical drugs are made from naturally occurring organic compounds. Rifampin was originally found in a soil sample in a pine forest on the French Rivera. Rifampin causing many drug interactions through it metabolic process in the liver. Many drugs are rendered useless by taking rifampin. So when I look at the Cowden and Zhang protocols I look at a hogdepodge of products put together by one person making anecdotal claims about its effectiveness not to mention also making a lot of money off of said products. Zhang is not using TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine). He has taken herbs out of the bag, refined them and put them in a capsule. TCM has a 5000 years history. AFter seeing your OMD you walk out with a bag of herbs that you boil and drink.

Red

*Well, Cowden does have the famous Dr. Eva Sapi study, where she used Samento and Banderal in vitro and found it killed cyst forms, spirochetes.

But one could argue in vitro is different than the human body.

Hard to know, we all respond somewhat differently.

Are you a Buhner fan?

I did purchase some Cowden Samento (cat's claw) and their Pinella (brain cleanse, so to speak, can be taken with the Samento) for myself, as I feel like I've plateaued on my own Lyme treatment of 4 months of Bicillin injections, and

Tindamax 2 weeks on/2 weeks off.

It will be interesting to 'see.'

Been on a lot of oral antibiotics for Lyme itself, don't want to go back to them.

Edited by S & S

Red

*Well, Cowden does have the famous Dr. Eva Sapi study, where she used Samento and Banderal in vitro and found it killed cyst forms, spirochetes.

But one could argue in vitro is different than the human body.

Hard to know, we all respond somewhat differently.

Are you a Buhner fan?

I did purchase some Cowden Samento (cat's claw) and their Pinella (brain cleanse, so to speak, can be taken with the Samento) for myself, as I feel like I've plateaued on my own Lyme treatment of 4 months of Bicillin injections, and

Tindamax 2 weeks on/2 weeks off.

It will be interesting to 'see.'

Been on a lot of oral antibiotics for Lyme itself, don't want to go back to them.

No sarcasm intended but gasoline works in vitro also. Everything changes when you put it in the body. The are scores if not hundreds of alternative products with in vitro claims. I am not a fan of anything. Even if something works on one person it may not work on another person. Even with western pharmaceuticals that use in vivo testing it does results are not universal.

Red