ACN Latitudes Forums

Pediatric Academic Society meeting May 2012

Hi all.

Just passing this along that Swedo & company will be at the PAS conference in May 2012 in effort to have the 500 docs (pediatricians)help define/help come up with better dx criteria for PANS. You can google the site and also find the "formal" purpose, and who will be there presenting all laid out on a separate page . Maybe someone can put up the links---I'll self destruct trying!!!

Personally, I think the whole "CANS" think is a bunch of trash and a cover---"See, see, everyone....PANS, CANS,.. we never have been that far apart...OK, We can believe in PANS." I'll refrain from further comment!! Errr!

Dawn

Pediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome (PANS) is the new name proposed for the subgroup, focusing attention on symptom onset rather than the postulated etiologies of PANDAS and PITANDS. The diagnostic criteria proposed for PANS have a similar clinical focus and facilitate recognition, diagnosis and treatment of the disorder.

Funny, in this context, a group of researchers suggesting a new name that addresses treatment based on symptoms over etiology has an entirely different meaning than a very similar choice of words from Singer/Kurlan. Let's hope this conference brings real change.

To me this sounds good. Sounds like they are saying lets not worry about etiology (which can be hard to find) but lets focus on treatment! Since these docs are also engaged in an IVIG study, I am thinking their "treatment" will include MORE than SSRI's.

When and where is this, and is anyone going???? I want to hear all about it!!!

To me this sounds good. Sounds like they are saying lets not worry about etiology (which can be hard to find) but lets focus on treatment! Since these docs are also engaged in an IVIG study, I am thinking their "treatment" will include MORE than SSRI's.

When and where is this, and is anyone going???? I want to hear all about it!!!

I wonder if this is going to be the springboard for results from the IVIG study? I know they haven't put enough kids into the study yet, BUT....there are times when studies are ended early because the results are so overwhelming! BTW, I'm just hypothesizing (with a bit of hopefulness.) :lol: Wouldn't that just be great if in one year, we could get the White Paper, the NIMH to change their website, and the 2nd IVIG study (I know none have happened yet, but I am having one of those feelings that maybe it could really happy!)