ACN Latitudes Forums

T&A

Hi it has been a while since I posted. Both my children underwent a T&A this past Tuesday 12/27/11 so it's been a week. My son is having a really hard time, his immune system is obviously not good. this morning he slept until about 11:30 because he didn't sleep well all night. Yesterday he vomitted in the car :( . He has had an issue with strep, mycoplasma and mono in the past. What I am concerned about is with the removal of the tonsils if it didn't stir up mycoplasma again. He ha a cough and seems worse off now than he was several days ago. His tongue was very white, out ENT said a white coating is normal but this to me looked like yeast, not normal white film. I gave him a pill for yeast yesterday and today his tongue is no longer white. I guess my question is for those of you who have children with mycoplasma and had a T&A what results did you see, did symptoms flair? How long did it take to feel better? He probably has strep in his system now too. I don't know what else to do, what doctor to take him to. He is on Cipro so that should be a strong enough abx although he still manages to pick up things even while being on abx, sigh any suggestions?

thnx,

tami

Edited by Tamistwins

Tami,

I had a T&A in high school, and I can tell you from experience that there is a white coating on the tongue and throat. I also was coughing a lot of grey matter up. It was quite gross. I have had many surgeries including c-sections and other abdominal surgeries... by far, having my tonsils out was THE MOST PAINFUL!!! Encourage him to drink lots and lots of water. I kept a jug by my side and forced myself to drink all of the time. I recovered really quickly, but everyone is different. I do not have Pandas, so I can't say one way or the other if it will stir things up, but I do know how uncomfortable he must be. My neighbor's daughters both have had T&A's and one recovered in about 3-4 days, the other was out for 2 weeks feeling really bad. She said that she thought she was getting better, but then took a nose dive. So I just think everyone recovers differently. Keep the faith, push lots of fluids and pain meds. If he's breathing through his mouth at night, maybe a humidifier would help too.

My son has PANDAS and I'd be freaking out too, it's hard not to think every little thing will make things worse, but hopefully this surgery be what turns things around for you guys.

All the best!!!

Molly

Hi Molly thank you for your kind words of encouragement! I too had my tonsils out in college and I remember how painful it was to swallow. I was actually surprised how both my children were eating solids quite early on. In fact at the surgery center he was eating pound cake that the nurse gave us. I know with mycoplasma or mono that he had 2 years ago, his throat hurt very badly, the fact that he has a cough now and wakes up at night like he's lost , seems like some symptoms are returning. I'm just wondering if by removal of the tissue is it possible that it stirred up strep or myco in his body. I do know what you mean about different people recover differently my daughter seems to be doing quite well. And Molly my recovery of my c-sec was awful, lol my son caused me problems even then. I could barely stand up straight afterword.

Thanks again Molly,

All the best,

Tami

Hi it has been a while since I posted. Both my children underwent a T&A this past Tuesday 12/27/11 so it's been a week. My son is having a really hard time, his immune system is obviously not good. this morning he slept until about 11:30 because he didn't sleep well all night. Yesterday he vomitted in the car :( . He has had an issue with strep, mycoplasma and mono in the past. What I am concerned about is with the removal of the tonsils if it didn't stir up mycoplasma again. He ha a cough and seems worse off now than he was several days ago. His tongue was very white, out ENT said a white coating is normal but this to me looked like yeast, not normal white film. I gave him a pill for yeast yesterday and today his tongue is no longer white. I guess my question is for those of you who have children with mycoplasma and had a T&A what results did you see, did symptoms flair? How long did it take to feel better? He probably has strep in his system now too. I don't know what else to do, what doctor to take him to. He is on Cipro so that should be a strong enough abx although he still manages to pick up things even while being on abx, sigh any suggestions?

thnx,

tami

They also gave my son Cipro (only a few days, maybe like 4 or 5?) after the tonsillectomy but they prescribed anti-yeast meds along (I think Diflucan, but can't remember). They emphasized it was super important to do the yeast meds, so you may want to check with the doctor on that and keep giving him the yeast pill you mentioned. We did not see any flairs, but ds was wiped out for a good two weeks, and in a lot of pain. Also, they had given him something with Codeine (sp?) for the pain that did not sit well with him at all, instead of making him sleepy it made him jittery and so he could not rest even though he was tired, so I just switched to ibuprofen/tylenol (alternating) and he did much better with that. The doctor completely agreed with the switch, and it managed the pain just fine. The nausea/vomiting could just be from the anesthesia, they also sent us home with a prescription for Zofran (I think?) but we never did fill it.

Hi Molly thank you for your kind words of encouragement! I too had my tonsils out in college and I remember how painful it was to swallow. I was actually surprised how both my children were eating solids quite early on. In fact at the surgery center he was eating pound cake that the nurse gave us. I know with mycoplasma or mono that he had 2 years ago, his throat hurt very badly, the fact that he has a cough now and wakes up at night like he's lost , seems like some symptoms are returning. I'm just wondering if by removal of the tissue is it possible that it stirred up strep or myco in his body. I do know what you mean about different people recover differently my daughter seems to be doing quite well. And Molly my recovery of my c-sec was awful, lol my son caused me problems even then. I could barely stand up straight afterword.

Thanks again Molly,

All the best,

Tami

Tami - I do think strep (and maybe mycplasma) could be stirred up with the surgery and I am wondering if cipro is enough for him. Do you have a PANDAS doc? Many kids are on more than one antibiotic and this may be a time that the PANDAS doc would want to do this.

I do remember both of my children having very white tongues and throats - though it is interesting that the yeast medication alleviated this for him. Would it be OK if you gave him yeast medicine for the next week or so? This would especially be good if you end up increasing antibiotics.

Don't forget about ibuprofen to reduce inflammation if he can take it. Also - you may want to add in anti inflammatory supplements like quercetin if he has taken them and you know he does OK with them.

It must be very difficult to see him in such pain. I hope he can find something to enjoy and take his mind off of it a bit while it heals.

Hang in there!

My son and I just had T&A out last Wednesday 28th together. I was told that I was crazy having it done at 39, but I should have done it years ago. I was there with him all the way. I am in so much pain and was sick from anesthesia and pain meds. Ds is 8 and doing much better than I, but still sore. He received tylenol with codeine for pain, but we alternate with ibuprofin for swelling. He is on zith and Amox for Lyme and PANDAS and on diflucan for yeast. He too has the white on his tongue. He has been very clingy since the surgery and very emotional (doesn't want to be alone). Tics and fidgeting much worse and he can't control his OCD as easily.

I think that the abx and his body are fighting hard trying to heal that throat and prevent/ kill any infection. So, I was expecting that his PANDAS symptoms would flare. I am hoping that the removal of the T&A will remove the breeding ground for all the viruses that seem to be giving chronic sore throats. I am also hoping that his flare subsides. We are waiting for a different script or Augmentin XR to get filled and are seeing a DAN doctor to look at Methylation and other things to fight this thing.

Be strong Tami and hang in there!!

Hi it has been a while since I posted. Both my children underwent a T&A this past Tuesday 12/27/11 so it's been a week. My son is having a really hard time, his immune system is obviously not good. this morning he slept until about 11:30 because he didn't sleep well all night.

Yesterday he vomitted in the car :( . He has had an issue with strep, mycoplasma and mono in the past. What I am

concerned about is with the removal of the tonsils if it didn't

stir up mycoplasma again. He ha a cough and seems worse

off now than he was several days ago. His tongue was very

white, out ENT said a white coating is normal but this to me

looked like yeast, not normal white film. I gave him a pill for

yeast yesterday and today his tongue is no longer white. I

guess my question is for those of you who have children

with mycoplasma and had a T&A what results did you see,

did symptoms flair? How long did it take to feel better? He

probably has strep in his system now too. I don't know what

else to do, what doctor to take him to. He is on Cipro so that

should be a strong enough abx although he still manages to

pick up things even while being on abx, sigh any

suggestions?

We too were given tylenol with codene. We were told no ibuprofen for several weeks before and after surgery. My children have been on cipro and minocin for Lyme/pandas treatment. But because of sore throat they haven't been taking their minocin. I restarted to give it tonight. Hopefully this should help if it's mycoplasma. Thankfully at our last ivig with Dr. B I asked for something for yeast because my daughter was so nasty and it wasn't letting up at all. I began giving that yesterday so hopefully we will see some improvement in that area.

Thank you for responding!

thnx,

tami

They also gave my son Cipro (only a few days, maybe like 4 or 5?) after the tonsillectomy but they prescribed anti-yeast meds along (I think Diflucan, but can't remember). They emphasized it was super important to do the yeast meds, so you may want to check with the doctor on that and keep giving him the yeast pill you mentioned. We did not see any flairs, but ds was wiped out for a good two weeks, and in a lot of pain. Also, they had given him something with Codeine (sp?) for the pain that did not sit well with him at all, instead of making him sleepy it made him jittery and so he could not rest even though he was tired, so I just switched to ibuprofen/tylenol (alternating) and he did much better with that. The doctor completely agreed with the switch, and it managed the pain just fine. The nausea/vomiting could just be from the anesthesia, they also sent us home with a prescription for Zofran (I think?) but we never did fill it.

Thank you kimballot I have re-added minocin so hopefully this will help with any strep or mycoplasma. I held off obit because of difficulty in swallowing a pill after surgery.

Thanks I pm you too!

Thanks again Molly,

All the best,

Tami

Tami - I do think strep (and maybe mycplasma) could be stirred up with the surgery and I am wondering if cipro is enough for him. Do you have a PANDAS doc? Many kids are on more than one antibiotic and this may be a time that the PANDAS doc would want to do this.

I do remember both of my children having very white tongues and throats - though it is interesting that the yeast medication alleviated this for him. Would it be OK if you gave him yeast medicine for the next week or so? This would especially be good if you end up increasing antibiotics.

Don't forget about ibuprofen to reduce inflammation if he can take it. Also - you may want to add in anti inflammatory supplements like quercetin if he has taken them and you know he does OK with them.

It must be very difficult to see him in such pain. I hope he can find something to enjoy and take his mind off of it a bit while it heals.

Hang in there!

[Wow that was very brave of you and supportive of your son to have surgery at the same time. I hope the two of you feel better quickly. Does your son have mycoplasma? My son suffered from terrible sore throats and I was told mycoplasma causes painful sore throats. I hope the T&A resolves many issues for the two of you.

Speedy recovery!quote name=BoyIowa' timestamp='1325637031' post='128326]

My son and I just had T&A out last Wednesday 28th together. I was told that I was crazy having it done at 39, but I should have done it years ago. I was there with him all the way. I am in so much pain and was sick from anesthesia and pain meds. Ds is 8 and doing much better than I, but still sore. He received tylenol with codeine for pain, but we alternate with ibuprofin for swelling. He is on zith and Amox for Lyme and PANDAS and on diflucan for yeast. He too has the white on his tongue. He has been very clingy since the surgery and very emotional (doesn't want to be alone). Tics and fidgeting much worse and he can't control his OCD as easily.

I think that the abx and his body are fighting hard trying to heal that throat and prevent/ kill any infection. So, I was expecting that his PANDAS symptoms would flare. I am hoping that the removal of the T&A will remove the breeding ground for all the viruses that seem to be giving chronic sore throats. I am also hoping that his flare subsides. We are waiting for a different script or Augmentin XR to get filled and are seeing a DAN doctor to look at Methylation and other things to fight this thing.

Be strong Tami and hang in there!!

Edited by Tamistwins

I had my tonsils out at 40! That was last year as a last resort. But just a word of caution, you can still get strep, and it's almost trickier because without tonsils there are less symptoms! We just "caught" dh with strep (no pain, no fever, NOTHING), and his tonsils have been out since he was a little boy. We can't seem to get away from it! Thankfully, with homeopathy, our PANDAS children had a bit of a flare but are settling back down, praised be God!

Hope everyone recovers well, just be patient, it takes a while... It helps if you've been through it yourself, you can understand the pain better :)

My son had t&a 1 week ago. I have been really worried about the pain med prescribed (tylenol w/codeine) because of the tylenol - but have been giving it to him. The pamphlet I was given post surgery says - in capital letters - to not give ibuprofen under any circumstances within 2 weeks of the t&a. The ibuprofen would be my pain reliever of choice - so I'm curious how many have used ibuprofen after t&a? Thanks!

Both of my kids had their tonsils out in November/December and we asked about the Motrin specifically because my son was just coming out of an exacerbation/infection and we needed it to help with the symptoms. They told us not to give it for a few days, but then it should be fine.

I only gave my kids the tylenol w/codeine once each - the first scheduled dose after the surgery. After that, I just just regular tylenol chewables and they both needed it only for a day or two after the surgery.