ACN Latitudes Forums

Roger's Memorial OCD/anxiety program?

Hi all,

I wasn't sure if I should post here or in the Tourette's forum. My son, 15, has pretty severe TS as well as anxiety and OCD. His OCD is really pretty minimal, it's more obsessive thinking than any type of ritualistic behavior, however his anxiety is much more severe. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has had experience with their child going through the residential program at Roger's for OCD/anxiety for teens? This program was recommended for my son by a local facility where he was in a partial hospitalization program. He is currently on the wait list for Roger's program, however before I really seriously consider it, I will have to go there myself to see the facility and also am desperately trying to find other parents to connect with whose kids have been through the program, especially those with Tourette's.

I had asked the intake director at Roger's if there was any way she could pass along my contact info to former "alumni" and she said they were not able to do that. I found that a bit odd since I was not asking her to break any confidentiality and it would be totally voluntary for the other parent(s) to contact me or not. Anyway, would love to hear from anyone who might have first hand experience with this program or know someone who does.

Thanks in advance!

Karen

Karen-

You may want to post this on the pandas forum also. Rogers has been mentioned there, and although I don't know of anyone who has direct experience, there are some that have looked into it, maybe they have a contact for you.

My kids did a three week outpatient program at USF, which I adored, if something like that is an option. It was for ocd, however I do think they work with TS, and presumably anxiety.

Eileen

• 2 weeks later...

Karen-

You may want to post this on the pandas forum also. Rogers has been mentioned there, and although I don't know of anyone who has direct experience, there are some that have looked into it, maybe they have a contact for you.

My kids did a three week outpatient program at USF, which I adored, if something like that is an option. It was for ocd, however I do think they work with TS, and presumably anxiety.

Eileen

Thanks Eileen. Are you in the DC area or does DC stand for something else in your username? I'm in northern VA. Where is the USF program? I'm guessing it's San Francisco?

We moved from DC to NJ last year ( but yes, that is the DC).

There are several pandas moms, with ocd kids on the PANDAS forum in the NVA/DC/MD area.

USF is the University of South Florida. They have a three week intensive outpatient therapy program, which is excellent.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I wasn't sure if I should post here or in the Tourette's forum. My son, 15, has pretty severe TS as well as anxiety and OCD. His OCD is really pretty minimal, it's more obsessive thinking than any type of ritualistic behavior, however his anxiety is much more severe. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has had experience with their child going through the residential program at Roger's for OCD/anxiety for teens? This program was recommended for my son by a local facility where he was in a partial hospitalization program. He is currently on the wait list for Roger's program, however before I really seriously consider it, I will have to go there myself to see the facility and also am desperately trying to find other parents to connect with whose kids have been through the program, especially those with Tourette's.

I had asked the intake director at Roger's if there was any way she could pass along my contact info to former "alumni" and she said they were not able to do that. I found that a bit odd since I was not asking her to break any confidentiality and it would be totally voluntary for the other parent(s) to contact me or not. Anyway, would love to hear from anyone who might have first hand experience with this program or know someone who does.

Thanks in advance!

Karen

I had a child at Rogers in 2010; while every child is different and your mileage may vary, I found the program to be of no help to my teenager. After 2 weeks there, 75% of the heirarchies (exposure/response exercises) were met, but they didn't pick up on the fact that he had other, underlying issues; they mentioned how stunned they were that he moved through them that quickly. It took a second hospitalization just THREE MONTHS after his discharge for an additional diagnosis of PDD-NOS. The second hospitalization took under a week to determine that there were other issues in play, not just OCD and anxiety. Please feel free to message me for details.