ACN Latitudes Forums

DO I HAVE OCD?!

Okay, first off, let me apologize ahead of time for this topic, I have read many on here and know they must be annoying after a bit but I need some clarity. Bare with me. Do you think I am OCD????

Ever since I was a kid I have these 'rituals' take major presedence over my life. I have daily rituals that I do day in and day out all day long. As a child, as young as eight, I remember being terrified to pick things up with my left hand believing that if I did a task with this hand that whatever I touched would turn out negative. Basically, to put it mildy, lead to bad luck. I did this for years and finally stopped doing it. But as one 'ritual' passed another one would develop.

Then as I got older, new rituals would develop. If my surrounding changed, I made new rituals to accomadate the changes. I have way too many compulsions to put in a time line but I will elababorate what my daily rituals are now.

I have, for as long as i remember, have this obsession with the number three. For example, when getting in and out of my car, I have to touch the back end by the atena where there are two paint chips three times with three fingers. I usually do this in series of three's until...of course...it feels right. I have been know to do this for a good minute to get this 'just right.' It drives me nuts but I have to do it because if I dont, I feel that something bad will happen. For example, by really good friend died in a car wreck and I am scared that If I dont picture a certain picture in my mind while doing this ritual something bad will happen to me. That I will die in a car wreck if I picture his face while doing these rituals. I have to picture Jesus or something positive while doing this. This image has to be imagined by the time I get to three and If the image turns into his face by the time I get to three touches, then I have to start all over again until I picture Jesus. (okay, I swear im not crazy). WHen I picture him, then I can go into my vehicle. I am proud to say that this has calmed down a bit! Also, everytime I go into my classroom, I have to touch the little nails on the door with my three fingers three times. Sometimes, its harder to do the touch three times, so I justify not being able to do it by pressing harder with the third finger that touches the nail. )Which is the top left corner everytime for some reason. I feel that I need to do this or I wont do as well in class that day. And again, if this doesnt happen, I have to justify to myself why I didnt so nothing bad will happen to me.

Also, I have to set my alarm three times everynight. The weird part is, certain numbers have to occur. First off, it can never be a number ending in double zero. I dont know why. Its no good almost. Indifferent. The first alarm has to end in either one or a three. If it ends in a one, then the second alarm ends in a three and the fourth alarm ends in a four. IF, big if, If i use the number two it has to occur in alarm number two. Not alarm one or three, due to 'tanting' the numbers that are suppose to be there. IF I start with a three, then the second has to be a four, and the last one a 7. I feel these are good luck numbers.

BTW. Ironically my birthday ends in a 2!!!! :unsure:

Basically, a one is a feel good number, its preparing you for the three. The three is the best number, its the best possible number and my first choice. The number four is my second choice. Its not as near as good as the number three but it will do. Its basicaly second runner up or honorable mention And seven is rarely used but if I run out of the other numbers (cant duplicate numbers) then 7 will be the next option after all other options are used.

And there is soo many more things that I do but I could go on literally for a few more hours.

Basically, I need some clarity. DO you think I am OCD or just very very superstitious. I have no idea. Ive never seen anyone professionally about this. Kinda embarrassed about it. But I have spoken about this to certain friends and some believe I do. What do you think? Please, please, please respond. I need to see what every thinks about this. Thanks-in advance.

HI

From what you describe it could well be OCD

before my son started the special supplements to help with OCD, he would also have number obsessions and "had to" do things "just right" and also felt fearful that if he didnt "something bad would happen"

There were other manifestations of his OCD too. especially blended with his Tourette tics,but once he started the supplements things dramatically improved

(he had tried SSRIs to boost the serotonin which is known to be deficient in most people with OCD, but it didnt help and brought a whole heap of side effects that were more disturbing than the OCD!!)

• 2 months later...

The left hand fear is an obvious sign of OCD tendancies but the number 3 obsession is a down right RED FLAG.

The obessions with numbers(especially the #3) is extremely common for a person with OCD. Go see a doctor and get diagnosed.

I found the best stratigie is also the hardest. Resist the OCD. Cold turkey. Simple as that. Dont set your alarm 3 times or pick up things with your right hand only. I know its tuff but it works. It will great some anxietey at first but eventually you will find no need to do or think about it. Think of it like smoking. Resist smoking and you get really agitated. Fight it out and over time you wont need to smoke.

Also, dont think of it as "I am OCD." Think of it as i have OCD and the OCD is a seperate entity that tells you lies about your left hand or the number 3.

Its funny, as im typing this im struggiling with the fact that my ipod is some how ruined or tainted becuase i touched a public phone and then turned my Ipod on. lol. Its irrational i know, but thats and OCD fear of mine. But i know if i resist the compulision that comes along with the Obsession i will be fine.

Good Luck man.