ACN Latitudes Forums

Taming situational anxiety

ilovedogs

My ds' tics are minor compared to his anxiety and GI issues. And, when he gets a GI issue going he gets 'anxious' that he will have to throw up or something. Anyway, I am taking him to a pediatric gastroenterologist to get him tested for celiac and for fructose malabsorption and then I'm taking him to the allergist to test for environmental allergies. Once we know what we're dealing with, I can go the natural route and see our naturopath and try to find a diet and plan to help his GI problems. In the meantime, he has been very anxious since my dad died 3 weeks ago. He didn't handle the funeral and viewings very well as it was his first time doing all of this and I was uncertain how he would do. It definitely spiked his anxiety issues, which, in turn spike his GI problems. It's like he gets caught in a vicious circle. I am also hoping to find a good DAN doctor here in AZ if our naturopath isn't very helpful but I was wondering if any of you have any other input? I use essential oils and calming teas for him along with magnesium but when he's really amped up and on edge I haven't quite found the right combination of ingredients. I'm sure that as he progresses through the teen years, his anxiety will change and grow and I'm concerned about depression, etc. My dh's family are a bunch of depressed, anxious people and my dh feels that his genetic pool has done ds no favors, LOL.

My ds' tics are minor compared to his anxiety and GI issues. And, when he gets a GI issue going he gets 'anxious' that he will have to throw up or something. Anyway, I am taking him to a pediatric gastroenterologist to get him tested for celiac and for fructose malabsorption and then I'm taking him to the allergist to test for environmental allergies. Once we know what we're dealing with, I can go the natural route and see our naturopath and try to find a diet and plan to help his GI problems. In the meantime, he has been very anxious since my dad died 3 weeks ago. He didn't handle the funeral and viewings very well as it was his first time doing all of this and I was uncertain how he would do. It definitely spiked his anxiety issues, which, in turn spike his GI problems. It's like he gets caught in a vicious circle. I am also hoping to find a good DAN doctor here in AZ if our naturopath isn't very helpful but I was wondering if any of you have any other input? I use essential oils and calming teas for him along with magnesium but when he's really amped up and on edge I haven't quite found the right combination of ingredients. I'm sure that as he progresses through the teen years, his anxiety will change and grow and I'm concerned about depression, etc. My dh's family are a bunch of depressed, anxious people and my dh feels that his genetic pool has done ds no favors, LOL.

HA, I have a similar genetic pool.

Someone recommended Rescue Remedy to me recently. I didn't try it because it seems more for situational anxiety like you mention rather than generalized anxiety.

Cheri,

I have not tried GABA directly with him. He was on Kavinace from Neuroscience for a year and half to help with his OCD and it really helped a lot. Apparently, the Kavinace crosses the blood/brain barrier better than GABA itself. Anyway, I do have some GABA calm I could give him. Could I give it to him before exercising, though. Turns out I think we're dealing with some social anxiety that was triggered by my dad's funeral and all the stuff that went along with it. He says that he gets nervous around other kids, afraid of being made fun of, or acting silly and having kids tell him to knock it off, etc. He gets so worked up about it that it's affecting his GI stuff because he won't eat properly and gets diarrhea, etc. I am hoping to schedule him with a local counselor who specializes in autism spectrum kids and with TS kids. She came recommended from some friends on our local TS message boards. I still have him scheduled to see the pediatric GI doc so hopefully he can get his GI stuff squared away, too. He's only 13 and his teen years are still all ahead of him!

• 2 weeks later...