ACN Latitudes Forums

T&A tomorrow

Hi all -

My youngest is having t&a tomorrow at 1:45pm - - I know it's supposed to be quick & simple - but I guess I just feel like nothing about all of this is simple - - and I'm feeling unsettled - - I guess because it's been a rough few months. Would really appreciate prayers/positive thoughts sent to Tennessee!

Thanks,

Karen

You've definitely got my prayers.

Hi don't worry all should go smoothly. My two children just had the procedure on Tuesday. Kids are resilient. They do complain of difficulty swallowing and sore throat but it's not as quiet in the house as I thought it would be.(lol) keep pushing ice pops and this too shall pass.

Good luck it's a short procedure.

My son and I just had ours out 2 days ago. I had mine taken out because I had been putting it off for years and it helped him to do it. I hope it helps for all his infections. We are both in pain and he is very needy and anxious. I hope we are both better soon.

Hi Karen-

Sorry recovery is rough :(

My pandas daughter had a T&A. Her recovery was relatively smooth. I babied her for a few days. Unfortunately a week later she had a pandas flare up from surgery.

I think being on the clinda is great (we didn't do that, this was 2.5 years ago).

We used a month long steroid burst, which brought her out of the T&A episode. If you see worsening into an episode, I would consider steroids...

DS8 (PANDAS & lyme) had his tonsillectomy in August. He had emergence delirium while coming to from the anesthetic. He ripped out his I.V., screamed for 45 mins (not so great for a throat that's just had surgery!), and was totally inconsolable. I was terrified we had stirred up the bacteria and made things worse. Way worse! Recovery was rough for 2 weeks. He got a fever, refused to eat or drink, and was 100% miserable. We threatened to re-admit him to the hospital if he didn't take some pain meds and at least drink. It was brutal for a few weeks. But when he was healed enough to swallow we started lyme treatment (combo antibiotics and supplements). It's either the tonsillectomy or lyme treatment, or combination of the two, that has made a HUGE difference. ASO is finally falling after being stuck in the 500s for years. He is recovering to the degree of not even being the same kid anymore. Just before Christmas break his principal said to me the difference she sees in him is "NIGHT AND DAY!". I don't regret doing the tonsillectomy, and believe it is a huge factor in his ongoing recovery. But I sure did have my doubts in the weeks right after the surgery!

I hope your son gets past those rough recovery weeks quickly and you start to see the amazing healing we are seeing! It sounds like you are doing it right - antibiotics before and after. Just like you said, he's been through a major physical and emotional stress - and that needs time to heal too. Hang in there, and let us know how he's doing!

DS8 (PANDAS & lyme) had his tonsillectomy in August. He had emergence delirium while coming to from the anesthetic. He ripped out his I.V., screamed for 45 mins (not so great for a throat that's just had surgery!), and was totally inconsolable. I was terrified we had stirred up the bacteria and made things worse. Way worse! Recovery was rough for 2 weeks. He got a fever, refused to eat or drink, and was 100% miserable. We threatened to re-admit him to the hospital if he didn't take some pain meds and at least drink. It was brutal for a few weeks. But when he was healed enough to swallow we started lyme treatment (combo antibiotics and supplements). It's either the tonsillectomy or lyme treatment, or combination of the two, that has made a HUGE difference. ASO is finally falling after being stuck in the 500s for years. He is recovering to the degree of not even being the same kid anymore. Just before Christmas break his principal said to me the difference she sees in him is "NIGHT AND DAY!". I don't regret doing the tonsillectomy, and believe it is a huge factor in his ongoing recovery. But I sure did have my doubts in the weeks right after the surgery!

I hope your son gets past those rough recovery weeks quickly and you start to see the amazing healing we are seeing! It sounds like you are doing it right - antibiotics before and after. Just like you said, he's been through a major physical and emotional stress - and that needs time to heal too. Hang in there, and let us know how he's doing!

I am glad to hear that your son is much improved. That is wonderful! You may have already done so, but given his prolonged emergence delirium, it is a good idea to make note of the particular anesthetics that were used in the event he should have to have anesthesia again. The anesthetist/anesthesiologist do have other drug options they can choose that may not cause the same reaction. Just speaking from experience and out of concern.