ACN Latitudes Forums

Yeast and removing proph. Abx for a few days

My DS had hd IVIG with dr k back on 12/1 & 12/2. Prior to that he had been on 500 mg of zithromax for over 30 days. Now he has been on 250 for a few weeks. He is hyper, has facial tics, and his butt rash has returned with a vengeance . I currently have him on nystatin, probiotics and a bunch of other supps. Christmas was sugar city of course so now the yeast has taken over. I even googled tics and yeast and it pointed right to the acn forum.

Is it really going to make things worse if I take him off his proph abx until school resumes on 1/2.?

He asked me if we get rid of the yeast will the IVIG kick in then?

Thanks

Johnsmom

Have you checked for yeast with a blood test(IgM and IgG for candida)? You can also do a down and dirty "spit" test - before getting out of bed in the morning, have DS spit into a glass of water. Set the glass aside and check it periodically for the next hour. If he has signs of yeast in his saliva, the water may turn cloudy or the saliva will settle in "strings" or finger-like strands. Normal saliva just dissolves into the water and does not make it cloudy.

I found this link very interesting, discussing all the other things that cause "yeast-like" symptoms:

http://www.yeastinfectionadvisor.com/candidatests.html

Also note that even if you treat yeast with nystatin or diflucan, you still need to re-build the gut with healthy flora, which is where a good probiotic can be very helpful. Probiotics are best taken at bedtime, away from abx and a few hours away from food. This is when the stomach acid is lower and the probiotics can sit in the intestines longer.

As for the behaviors you're seeing, some kids do see a return or worsening of behaviors post-IVIG that have nothing to do with yeast or abx. I would also take pics of the rash. Yeast is not the only infection that can cause a rash and you may want the pics for future reference should other possible causes come to mind - strep, staph, tick borne, any many other fungi and bacteria.

Edited by LLM

DS has had rectal strep before. This rash starts out shiny red and moist. It does start to get better with anti fungal cream twice a day. We just got back from a trip and I forgot to bring the prescription with. :o I stopped and p/u some anti fungal but only applied it once. It was an overnight trip. Tonight I went to put some on and the rash was shiny and red again but not as inflamed as it was at Christmas. we have had an extended holiday vacation with family parties which include lots of sugar. I know it's bad and we are making changes. grandma kept offering it to him along with apple cider. Ugh! My god I just told her the whole story about his yeast. She's a retired nurse for crying out loud!

At least I brought the nystatin and probiotics with and gave that to him afterwards.

The weird thing is that his bm's are always fine. Never odorous and unformed. People tell me that doesn't matter. I'm leaving him off prophylactic abx until he returns to school. I've got 4 days to detox this kid!

Dc mom if u thnk this could be strep, let me know.

Thanks!

Ann

Is there any possibility the rash is strep?

I've done the spit test before with him and didn't see anything. I'll try it again. His tongue doesnt look that white either which I hear is also a sign. I've done tests in the past for yeast but never an igg or igm. Isnt that for a more severe case? Thanks for sending the link. I've had him on several kinds of probiotics and found the ther biotic detox from Claire labs to be sufficient.

Thanks again for taking the time and giving advice.

Ann

Have you checked for yeast with a blood test(IgM and IgG for candida)? You can also do a down and dirty "spit" test - before getting out of bed in the morning, have DS spit into a glass of water. Set the glass aside and check it periodically for the next hour. If he has signs of yeast in his saliva, the water may turn cloudy or the saliva will settle in "strings" or finger-like strands. Normal saliva just dissolves into the water and does not make it cloudy.

I found this link very interesting, discussing all the other things that cause "yeast-like" symptoms:

http://www.yeastinfectionadvisor.com/candidatests.html

Also note that even if you treat yeast with nystatin or diflucan, you still need to re-build the gut with healthy flora, which is where a good probiotic can be very helpful. Probiotics are best taken at bedtime, away from abx and a few hours away from food. This is when the stomach acid is lower and the probiotics can sit in the intestines longer.

As for the behaviors you're seeing, some kids do see a return or worsening of behaviors post-IVIG that have nothing to do with yeast or abx. I would also take pics of the rash. Yeast is not the only infection that can cause a rash and you may want the pics for future reference should other possible causes come to mind - strep, staph, tick borne, any many other fungi and bacteria.