ACN Latitudes Forums

New on Azithromycin

kthomas

DS7 started a new antibiotic (Azithromycin) on Wednesday, after a visit to Dr. I. The tics have been far worse than on the Penicillin V (2 months.) I have read through other posts and have noted the information on herxing and am wondering how long does this last.? It has been 4 days of constant tics. I just started him on charcoal pills to hopefully get some of the toxins out of his body. Does anyone have experience with this?

Edited by kthomas

DS7 started a new antibiotic (Azithromycin) on Wednesday, after a visit to Dr. I. The tics have been far worse than on the Penicillin V (2 months.) I have read through other posts and have noted the information on herxing and am wondering how long does this last.? It has been 4 days of constant tics. I just started him on charcoal pills to hopefully get some of the toxins out of his body. Does anyone have experience with this?

Hi kthomas,

I am new here and I have the exact same question! My ds 5 years old was diagnosed with PANDAS this Xmas and we just started Azith, and I pray his tics subside.

I hope someone with more experience can give us feed back on this. I also asked my Dr. and I am waiting for a reply.....

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure there is one standard answer. I know when Ian had really bad tics, a few days of Motrin seemed to really knock them out. As did a taper of steroids later. So I am not sure it was due to the antibiotics. But in general his tics left in about 5 days once medicating with Motrin or steroids.Now this did not cure the tics, they did come back once he flared with exposure to illness. But they have since subsided and disappeared. I just can't say what it had to do with because of all the different things we have done, including IVIG.

Edited by lmkmip67

Tics/movements have been a stubborn symptom for us. When we first went on Azith. (43 pounds, almost 8 years old), mood improved after 5 days, OCD started to improve after 2 weeks, tics took 6 weeks to go away. Dd was also on daily advil and a low dose of prozac.