ACN Latitudes Forums

Charcoal

JJMom39

Ds9 has been taking Biaxin 500 mg bid for the last week, and is also on Augmentin XR 1000 mg bid. He has been having mood swings and is and angry and irritable since starting the Biaxin. We do not know if he is herxing or if he is having an adverse response to the Biaxin. We started Ibuprofen last night and it seems to be helping, but I want to add in some charcoal to see if that will help also. I have never used charcoal so I am not sure what is the best dosing schedule when one is also giving abx and probiotics. He takes both antibiotics at breakfast and dinner, and he takes probiotics right before bed. Should I give the charcoal at lunchtime?? Or what would the correct dosing schedule be? I have some charcoal capsules on hand. We are heading out of town soon so I am short on time to search the forum for info! Thanks much. Happy holidays to all.

This is a good overview

http://www.alsearsmd.com/tag/activated-charcoal/

He recommends a pretty large dose that I don't find particularly practical. We use between 4-6 capsules (280 mg/capsule) mostly because to ask the kids to take more (on a daily basis) results in pill fatigue (they take quite a few).

Yes, timing does matter. Take at least 2 hrs away from abx or probiotics. We have done the noontime dosing and it works fine. During school days, you can dose after school and just push the abx toward the end of dinnertime.

The stool will change color - becoming greener. That's normal, nothing to worry about.

If he gets constipated (both charcoal and bentonite clay can be binding - that's kinda the point after all), increase fluids, add some pysillium husk (the active ingredient in some fiber drinks but you can get it in pill form at health food store) or add some magnesium (100-400 mg depending on weight). Give enough magnesium (the ingredient that makes milk of magnesia effective) to produce a daily but normal BM. If it gets too loose, reduce the dose, if BMs aren't daily, increase dose until they are. Magnesium citrate is easiest to find but is most likely to lead to loose stools. Magnesium glycinate is better absorbed and less likely. There are other forms as well. When you have time, you can google "types of magnesium" and get a run down to decide which form might work best for you.

Water also works well. Anything that keeps things moving.

Ah, what a nice Christmas message!

Oh, LLM, you always put a smile on my face. After spending the entire morning waiting for a stool sample, realizing afterwards I didn't have the correct container, two trips to Quest with soaking wet hair (yes, my dd finally had to go when I was in the shower)- my Christmas message today is all about BM's :D

Oh, LLM, you always put a smile on my face. After spending the entire morning waiting for a stool sample, realizing afterwards I didn't have the correct container, two trips to Quest with soaking wet hair (yes, my dd finally had to go when I was in the shower)- my Christmas message today is all about BM's :D

Here's to a new year where neither of us has reason to have those bright orange urine collectors sitting in our fridge or popsicle sticks and tupperware poop containers "at the ready" in the bathrooms! (and to think, normal people are making resolutions about losing weight - how mundane!)

Merry Xmas Philamom!

Here's to a new year where neither of us has reason to have those bright orange urine collectors sitting in our fridge or popsicle sticks and tupperware poop containers "at the ready" in the bathrooms! (and to think, normal people are making resolutions about losing weight - how mundane!)

Merry Xmas Philamom!

Oh no, please don't take my joy away (lol) - I just finally got around to picking up the KPU urine container. Well, I have a few days left b4 the New Year! Merry Christmas to you too LLM!

JJ Mom- no experience here with the charcoal pills, but I have used Great Plains Bentonite Clay - separated from abx and probiotics by at least 2 hours. I mixed it in with applesauce & cinnamon.

Wishing everyone a Happy and Joyous Holiday and a Happy and most of all Healthy New Year!!