ACN Latitudes Forums

RED EARS

Tonight we were having a break from the low salicylate diet and during our meal I noticed my 9 year old son's ears ......one (L) was cool and normal and the other was bright red and very warm.

Is this an indication of a food intolerance? I ask because it was so quick...I mean we were still eating the meal!

I would really appreciate reading other people's experiences with this ....has anyone else experienced the red ear thing and if so what did you learn?

I recall that this would happen when my son was still a very small child( <3) but I didn't know about Tourettes then and simply thought it odd ( I wish I had known more then!)

Scottish Nessie

We're still trying to figure it out ourselves. My daughter also gets the red ears, sometimes just one and sometimes both. We had her tested for food sensitivities and found out she was severe for dairy. Cutting out dairy has improved things (she used to get red ears several times a day) however she still gets red ears fairly frequently. Sometimes they come when she hasn't eaten anything for a while. It is still a mystery we are trying to figure out. I assume she is still reacting to something in her environment.

Matt

Scottish Nessie & Matt,

When my 13 yr. old son was probably about age 6 thru maybe 9 or 10, he used to get the red hot ears frequently, usually right around bed time. It may have happened at other times, but that's when it bothered him the most.

Phenol/salicylate intolerence seems to be what I read assoc. with this the most often on the ASD bds, but I tend to think for my son (and lately, myself) it was possibly dust mites or other allergy triggers. I have noticed when I get in musty or dusty places, my ears will feel hot. His ears used to get really itchy too.

These problems have been gone for quite a few yrs. now. We hadn't done any interventions, except various things the Pediatrician gave us to use in his ears for the itching. I guess he outgrew it. I don't think he was having that problem when we started using the Bontech vitamins. I do think sleep has improved with the addition of vitamins though.

If you suspect it was something that you had for dinner that evening, maybe you could try giving a small amt. and see what happens. Maybe a good way of identifing something irritating for him?

I have also read about innappropriate/ excessive laughter related to yeast and phenol intolerence. Has anyone experienced that?

I think Allison or Marie, mentioned her son acting like he was walking into a closed door? My gosh, that was a behavior that we saw for probably 3 yrs. Sometimes he would fall right on the floor. Yes, boys do silly things, but this was different. It was the closest thing I ever saw, to what some call drunken behavior with yeast overgrowth. Don't know how I got off on that, but if anyone thinks that sound fimiliar, would like to hear about it.

Not sure any of this helps, but I sure read about these hot ears a lot, and feel it's connected to something some of our kids have in common. My 9 yr. old has never had this problem, and has always slept like A ROCK, doesn't have the severe environmental allergies like oldest son, but went from a great eater, to eating almost nothing around 15 mos. old. Go figure. :unsure:

Kim

Hi Kim and Matt,

The falling on the floor thing .... my son does that quite often but doesn't seem particulary high when he does it: I put it down to one of his tics as it seems unrelated to anything else going on with him at the time.

I sometimes wonder,actually if I read more into his behaviour because I am looking for tics.

He loves playacting that he is walking into lamposts or doors but seems to be in control of this ( a budding comedian!?)

I shall try and narrow down the food/s causing the red ear syndrome ...it can't be just any old salicylate because he had a huge amount of hot chilli pepper tonight and no red ears; life is never straightfoward in this game!

Scottish Nessie

Hi guys, yep, hot ears and lately hot cheeks too, and yep, falling down silliness too. I agree the ears, cheeks are allergy related and think the falling down stuff is yeast related. The falling down silliness was also related to waking himself up when just regular sleepy (will fight tooth and nail his feelings of sleepiness as I believe he thinks this is somehow a weakness) so I think when he's fighting the fog of a yeast bloom he tries what works for him in the regular sleepy department. He's really having trouble with mold right now - blooming in our area of So. Cal. due to all the sprinkles of rain alternating with warmish days. And he was having a yeast bloom also which his regular stuff wasn't controlling. The yeast sort of caught me by surprise as he wasn't craving "sugar" as he usually does - until I realized he's getting his sugar from all the rice he's been eating! You know, you think you have this down and then. . . anyway, luckily I got it down quick with Nystatin and will be more vigilant about the carbs he's getting in general. I just hate yeast - I mean if you knew how much probiotic he's getting every day you wouldn't think there was any ROOM for the yeasties!!! He gets 60 billion organisms per day!

Giselle

This is kind of funny. Is running into doors/lamposts, a boy thing, or a TS/tic thing? I agree Nessie, my son seemed to be in control of this too.

I was raised with one sister, no brothers, so there have been many surprises about boy behaviors. I think it's important not to associate everything with tics too.

Giselle,the yeast and mold allergie's are a battle aren't they. Do you feel the natural allergy treatments you have been using are helping at all? My oldest son, is having more allergy symptoms too. He forgot his zyrtec one day last week. When he got home he headed right for the zyrtec, then the shower. He said he had been itching all day. You could see little bumps and welts on his neck. I'm wondering if I can give him extra grapeseed extract, he gets 70 mgs. in Bonnie's vits. and still use the zyrtec too?

Did using the nystatin calm things down again for Hoyt?

No sugar, limited carbs, and a son who won't sit in the same room where there's meat. I sure can relate to how frustrated you must feel to realize the rice might be contributing to the problem.

I keep reading where vaccine damage and soy can destroy the enzymes that breakdown protein. BUMMER.

I'm just about ready to get a little more aggressive with the use of Peptizyde, and Zymeprime. We have been going soooo slow.

kim

Hi all, oh my gosh, tonight right after dinner Hoyt's ears went beet red, his cheeks got red and he started to sweat quite badly considering we were just sitting watching Sponge Bob! And of course tic like crazy too. He had a gluten, casein, soy, corn free bagel right before dinner as he was starving, he had a slice of organic buffalo jerky, a baked potato with canola oil margarine and two long stalks of organic celery with salt (weird dinner but it was a snacky type night as we'd been at a friends house quite a while after school). He's eaten all of the above many times but the celery is not something he eats normally and I think that may have caused it - then he complained of a sore throat. I went on line and looked up red ears and found many allergy related links and this http://listserv.uark.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2...ergy&D=0&P=4581 Then I looked up celery allergy and found out that it is very common. He didn't test for it on his IGG testing but perhaps he's developed one. Because it was a non-reactive food he gets it every so often and in soups. I'm going to test my theory out later this weekend but was surprised at how strong his reaction was to his dinner tonight!

Giselle

Giselle,

So sorry to hear that!

I think Andy said that it didn't matter what foods they removed, his son would develope sensitivities to new ones, prior to all of his treatments.

You also made me think of something. For years, we always laughed at my father-in-law, because any time he eats tomatoes of any kind, he starts to sweat. It can be ketchup, or any dish with tomatoe in it.

I don't remember if your using anything to remove metals with Hoyt. I'm posting something under articles that you might want to look at.

Hi Kim, my brother-in-law gets an itchy mouth from tomatoes and potatoes! He was peeling potatoes for Thanksgiving and his hands got itchy, his lips swelled up, his eyes got itchy and he got conjested - but still ate them for dinner and got an itchy palate! I asked him didn't it occur to him that he was allergic? He was shocked! Can you believe this? He's a computer engineer so he's no dumby but come on! Hello! :)

I was just at Hoyt's DAN doctor and we are doing a provoked test again. He'd had slightly elevated lead due to his zinc copper ratio imbalance but chelated to safe levels but are having another go around. Chelating makes him very tired (although his body loves the sulphur) so we are going to do this over spring break.

And I didn't answer your earlier question - our doctors both said that Hoyt could take Zyrtec with all the vitamin therapy he's on. He doesn't take it as I didn't see much help but they said it was safe.

Hoping it doesn't rain today (it did all yesterday) as we have a baseball game. It's Hoyt's first time ever playing a sport and he's doing GREAT! He can't catch super well but boy can he throw and hit! He got three runs last game and had 5 RBI's! They played an undefeated team and won! Go Pirates!!! :unsure:

Have a great day!

Giselle

Sorry Giselle, I guess with reading about all of the tests and vast improvements you have seen, the chelating part went right past me.

Sounds like you've got quite a little ball player!

THANKS for the info. on the Zyrtec.

Kim

Hi there,

My computer has been broken (a power surge thingy :unsure: ) but it is finally sort of fixed...anyways...my son's ears always turn red after eating dairy. Doris Rapp talks about this in her book..."Is this your child"...this book is worth the read.

Ronna