ACN Latitudes Forums

Finally starting therapy for the OCD

We have held off until now, but Ian clearly needs some support help, as do we. I spent a good deal of time research psychologists locally that specialize in OCD and found one that appears to have good ratings and can take us next Thursday. She was very nice on the phone, so we shall see. He previously did see a therapist about 1 1/2 years ago for the OCD type issues. But she was more of a family therapist and eventually even said she couldn't help us. So I am hopeful that this will provide us all with some tools. Has therapy helped anyone else?

While we have not gone to therapy steadily - it has REALLY helped.

First of all, it really helped ME. It has been so helpful to be able to discuss things with a professional, it has given me tools to work with the kids, and given me the confidence in what I am doing.

And, it has really helped my kids overcome some ocd.

We saw two therapists we did not like.

We saw two therapists we liked. The one that was the most successful for us, was tough. At first, I was unsure, but he was SO knowledgeable, and up front with the kids. He laid it out for them, and really pushed them to work on the ocd. He also helped "normalize" ocd by putting it in the framework of any illness.

good luck!

ds had 'sudden onset' 3 years ago - primarily behavioral issues. of course, we first sought help from the psych world. i now think we were extremely lucky in that the first behavioral therapist suggested pandas. but, she did not have help with practical coping solutions. we then went on a very fruitless, frustrating trip in the psychological/psychiatric world -- seeking coping skills and only getting useless suggestions. i had basically given up b/c i couldn't see wasting more time and money and hope in that world that just didn't get it. although i firmly believe coping skills and strategies are absolutely necessary, i just couldn't find anyone to help provide effective ones.

i found much help from anxietybc.com and books by dr. ross green -- The Explosive Child and Lost at School.

this fall, ds went back to school and although that has been an absolute disaster, they did recommend a psych who is an absolute needle-in-a-haystack. i've discussed that with her and she mentions that she used to be like the others b/c that's what she was taught throughout her education (she's likely in her 40s) but then she realized that that just didn't work and she needed some real strategies that did. she is very creative and all the ball.

i kind of got lulled back into the validity of the profession and we are seeking to do neuropsych testing for ds. i thought we found the perfect guy to do it -- great recommendation, neuro background, school background, said all the 'right' things on the phone -- only to sit in his office for initial visit and wonder if he needs to retake psych 101.

so i think it's like most things, that there are good and bad therapists -- only more apparent here b/c the good are few and far between and we are so in need of them.

i've recently gotten a ton of help here from dcmom from her experiences in south florida. i think she should hang out her shingle. if you like, i could pm you some of my notes and questions from our first visit with current psych when i was trying to determine if she could actually provide help.

sorry to sound so jaded and i sincerely hope you find the help you are seeking!

smartyjones-

are you talking psychologist or psychiatrist--the one you like so much?

can you PM me the info? I think we live not too far away. and I could use a good psychologist.

We have a psychiatrist I am happy with, I think.

finding a good therapist is so darn difficult.

I wish FL was not so far. I wish there was something for sick, sick kids that was really good. I guess maybe Rogers Inpt- but hard to know.

We are talking to our psych today about partial hospitalization or an intensive outpt here.

I think therapy is so important. I wish my kids had not gotten sick so fast and I had been able to get them into therapy before OCD swallowed them whole.

One thing about therapists is that you can't be afraid to fire them if they turn out to be bad. Our most recent venture into therapy, a psychiatrist, decided that DS's OCD was a bad relationship with his father combined with odd tics and wanted to give him Concerta (which made him tic) plus Abilify (which theoretically would have stopped them). Why is it clear to me, without the fancy degree and price tag that this is stupid and addresses nothing? Granted, I guess me and DH and DS in full disaster mode are a pretty potent mix and we rolled into his office like a tidal wave. But for that much money, to go under without a trace? Should have fired him sooner.

We loved our final (:)) therapist. Just ask if they have experience with ERP - if they say "what?", walk away!!! (Exposure & Ritual Prevention). Then ask if they have succesfully done ERP with multiple children of your child's age.

A lot out there are awful. A good therapist should be paid in gold, they are so worth it. Don't give up.

Read John March's book, if you want to see the outline for what therapy should look like, and then be able to kind of evaluate a therapist.

Also, I adore Eric Storch's program down at University of South Florida. A lot of parents had great success going there - there is a Ronald McDonald House there too, which I've now had 3 mom friends go to & ADORE it.

We loved our final (:)) therapist. Just ask if they have experience with ERP - if they say "what?", walk away!!! (Exposure & Ritual Prevention). Then ask if they have succesfully done ERP with multiple children of your child's age.

A lot out there are awful. A good therapist should be paid in gold, they are so worth it. Don't give up.

Read John March's book, if you want to see the outline for what therapy should look like, and then be able to kind of evaluate a therapist.

Also, I adore Eric Storch's program down at University of South Florida. A lot of parents had great success going there - there is a Ronald McDonald House there too, which I've now had 3 mom friends go to & ADORE it.

ERP was my requirement! lol She does it, so I am good. But we will see. I ONLY looked into therapists that offered that. And only child psychologists that specialized in OCD. So I feel like I filtered out a lot to start. And I have a couple more lined up if . she doesn't work out