ACN Latitudes Forums

Anyone tried Paleo?

eljomom

A friend just sent me a link to Robbwolf.com. It's about a Paleo diet. I assumed it was just for dieting/bodybuilding, but it is touted as so much more. Afraid to get hopes up on anything as simple (well, it's not simple to eat that way, but simple in terms of more natural and cheaper than drugs, abx, steroids, ivig, pex....), but found this from a blurb written by a parent of an autistic child who was greatly improved on paleo, and you will hear all the buzzwords in it that caught my attention (blood-brain barrier, autoimmune, brain inflammation). Just curious if anyone has tried this.

Quoting, below:

"I had begun reading for a couple hours a day on nutrition for several months, and I decided to attend a Paleo Solution Seminar in Toronto in March, 2011. Robb explained gut health, auto-immunity, the blood-brain barrier, and “brainflammation.” This was what really made the “gut-autoimmune” connection click for me."

Re Paleo:

I have. I like it, I feel better overall. My 11 year old son... eh, he won't do it. But he knows his food allergies dictate his behavior. One day I hope.

Please look for GAPS diet posts from ozmum for additional info. It's essentially Paleo. It's also close to the Strict Carbohydrate Diet of Elaine Gottschall. Dr. Bock mentions paleo and SCD in the same breath in his book.

Remember that most carbs are bad for sick kids like ours because they crave them and because of the sugar and because grains and legumes are so genetically engineered (nothing is safe from cross pollination) and hybridized. It can be very restrictive. It means fresh food, nothing processed. Robb Wolf's book is great. In fact, a chapter was run on Tim Ferris' blog, got a lot of comments.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2010/09/19/paleo-diet-solution/

Good luck. The sweet potato and yucca are your friends here. Lots of saturated fat and grass fed beef (more healthy than chicken). I just had ostrich, it was yummy!

We are mostly paleo with some rice and potato added in. I feel that we get many more of the nutrients our bodies require when the diet is composed of vegetables, meat, grass fed fats (including ghee), coconut oil, some nuts and fruit instead of the 6-11 servings of grain (are we birds or mice?) suggested by Health Canada, the AHA, ADA and others. The seed oils (canola, soy, safflower etc.) that are supposedly healthy are high in omega-6 fatty acids and very inflammatory - just what we need, more inflammation. We started out Paleo, but have migrated to more of a Perfect Health Diet:

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/

This has been circulating the paleo blogs lately:

A TED talk by Dr Terry Wahls who cured her MS using a Paleo diet

Edited by rowingmom

Our DAN! dr suggested we could help our DS with a gut healing diet, which I think of as a modified form of the paleo diet. We knew DS couldn't digest dairy but he was actually ok with gluten, however alot of foods are thought to be inflammatory to the gut such as most grains (including corn), potatoes and dairy, so we've gone a long way to reducing those foods in our diet. DS loves pasta, so to keep him on side we have gluten free pasta which is maize or rice based. We also have a little soy cheese, which DS tolerates. Strictly no dairy.

I think of it in terms of what we can eat: meat, fish, vegetables, salads and fruit, which means very little of what we eat has food additives or sugar and I buy organic where I can. I use coconut oil for cooking and olive oil in salads. We also allow some bought gf/cf treats like chocolate muffins, though they tend to be a bit high on sugar. For home made treats I use xyletol or honey. Breakfast means eggs, etc or dinner type meals such as spaghetti bolognese, or salmon bake. I regularly cook up large pots and freeze in portions - easy for DS to heat and eat when he gets the hungries.

We started on the basis that we would do it seriously for three months and see what happened. We've been on it now for over 12 months and don't intend to stop any time soon. The outcome for DS is that he can concentrate better and focus. He's healthy and happy and at last my tall, skinny teenager has been putting on some weight - he's now better able to digest what he's eating! Whoohoo! If the gut is functioning better, then so too the immune system and the central nervous system.