ACN Latitudes Forums

Alternative fever response theory

JAG10

Read the first sentence lisping on the "s" sounds.

The point being, I may be exposed to more germs than others :(

As feared, both girls now have with stomach bug....fingers crossed dh and I are spared the "Flu diet"

And both have exhibited mild fevers, so I guess that is normal and normal is good even when your kids are miserable. I have no scientific reason to back this up, but I still think intestinal bugs are the exception to all this pandas mess. Has anyone's child been triggered by a 24 hr stomach virus?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yummy Yummy! I'm in!!!

edit- Actually, I prefer something a tad stronger! My daughter is not attending school too much due to physical symptoms (averages 3-5 hrs week). After being competely out last week, I brought her in yesterday at 1:00. I received a call at 2 from the nurse that a child in her class has strep. Seriously!!! My daughter is not on any abx.

Edited by philamom

DS had strep 17 times as a young child and never once had a fever or sore throat.

How in the world did you or the doc know to look for strep with no symptoms???? And to look 17 times?????

Once when DS was three, he was acting oddly, so I took him to doc to check for ear infection. No fever, no sore throat, no real symptoms, but he was definitely not acting like himself. Doc said that strep was going around - like she had seen 10 cases that morning, so she took culture just to rule it out. It popped positive. From then on, about every six months or so, DS would act that same atypical way and I'd go in and request culture. I had the only four year old in town who would wake up in the morning and say "may I please have a throat culture?" He just knew when he was sick. Obviously, looking back, he has had PANDAS since he was about three. We just were so quick to race to doc for antibiotics that it never went further than a week or two of being out of sorts. That is, until last December...

We almost never have a fever here. One time, the second case of strep after we were diagnosed, he spiked a fever of 103. Otherwise, I can remember two other fevers in his whole 6 years. He also never throws up. He just doesn't react the same way to germs other kids do. He rarely gets "sick" in the traditional sense. So instead I play Dr. House, trying to determine what is actually a sign he is sick (and we wonder why so many kids don't get diagnosed!). The only way our doc knew to test for strep initially was the smell of his breath and his crazed behavior. No fever, no sore throat.

DS had a stomach virus back in March that did not set off any PANDAS symptoms. He's had two back to back colds that have caused him a flare over the past month.

For what its worth, DS never even acts sick, let alone spikes a fever. Seems to me most kids are lethargic and want to lie around when they are sick. DS never skips a beat. He plays, eats, and goes on normally, as if he is not sick. Its the darndest thing.

I have no scientific reason to back this up, but I still think intestinal bugs are the exception to all this pandas mess. Has anyone's child been triggered by a 24 hr stomach virus?

DS has the stomach bug right now, as does half his class. It DID trigger a very short and severe exacerbation. But he has lyme, PANDAS, and bartonella. So maybe it's the lyme/bart? IDK.

He's 5 months into lyme treatment and his germaphobia & OCD were almost completely gone. Tuesday he woke up extremely germaphobic, seemingly out of the blue. He couldn't touch the toilet but was constipated (not a common problem for him), and went into OCD hysterics in the bathroom, even screaming that he just wanted to die. After 20 mins of shrieking he lost his voice and I finally got him into a hot bath to calm his nerves and relax his bowels. By the time the bath was done he couldn't walk - joint pains in his ankle, toe and arch on one foot, and a stinging sensation in the heel of his other foot. He told me his brain feels weird "like when I get strep". Hmmmmm.... So it took 300 mg of motrin and 3 hours later before he could even function, and I thought, "What was THAT?!". The next day (Wednesday) he had the stomach flu and a low grade fever, and the severe germaphobia continued. (Won't eat anything anyone has touched. Doesn't want a particular person to wash the dishes, or he won't be able to use them ever again. Etc.) Today he's mostly better, mostly pleasant, and the germaphobia is gone.

This was his typical pattern over the past 5 years - wild flare up of behaviours and pain, followed by illness. But he never went through a flare in 3 days before. Usually it was a minimum 2 week flare, and sometimes went on for months.

He does get fevers, and very high ones too. He's often 104-105, and he's been up to 106 and rushed to the hospital. But he doesn't always get a fever when I expect him to. Sometimes he gets strep with no fever. Sometimes he gets strep with a fever. ??? Sometimes he says he has a fever but his temp is normal. He's just a great big question mark! I think it's interesting that usually (not always) when he gets a fever he's calm and quiet. So maybe the behaviour stuff is an alternative to a fever. Very interesting theory.

Ok... somebody needs to do a poll on this... put us in the camp of

1. Frequent and very high fevers at a young age(104 was not rare)

2. Extremely infrequent fevers now even with confirmed infetion

3. Immune system tested out in normal ranges when younger

4. Immune system now demonstrating deficiencies (IgG and IgA)

Ok... somebody needs to do a poll on this... put us in the camp of

1. Frequent and very high fevers at a young age(104 was not rare)

2. Extremely infrequent fevers now even with confirmed infetion

3. Immune system tested out in normal ranges when younger

4. Immune system now demonstrating deficiencies (IgG and IgA)

Us (both boys AND ME!):

1. Same (frequent & high at young age, now now)

2. Immune system never checked when younger...never appeared to be a need.

3. Specific immune deficiency (strep pneumo). I just found out that I also have extremely low strep pneumo titers....& I had the pneum. vaccine last year. I guess that's where they got it from.)

I haven't read the whole thread,

but....

My two pandas girls:

immune system tests normal

they get sick about once a year

they seem to have a normal fever response.

They have NO abnormal test results (and we have taken many, many, many vials of blood, testing for everything under the sun) other than Cunningham's test.

They are physically healthy, and seem to be able to fight infection well.

We have very little autoimmune history, and no rheumatic fever history in family.

The strep that triggered pandas (they were cultured positive at time of overnight onset) was relatively symptom free (one day of malaise)- every other time they have had strep, it has been normal fever and sore throat- just that one time that was different...

• 2 months later...